Main Menu

Prog 1812 Trifecta

Started by Mattofthespurs, 01 December, 2012, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Matt Timson

I liked it enough to drag myself here and say so. Generally speaking, I dislike crossovers- mainly because I feel I'm being forced to spend money to stay in the loop- but this was a welcome surprise.

Great stuff.
Pffft...

Professor Bear

Quote from: sauchie on 08 December, 2012, 11:33:33 PM
Quote from: Hawkeye McGillicuddy on 08 December, 2012, 10:26:42 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 08 December, 2012, 07:54:09 PMThe way the anthology format introduces you to material you wouldn't normally read and forces you to take into account other folks' preferences is either an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on your outlook.

The inverse is also true

You're going to have to draw on the full force of your considerable rhetorical abilities to explain to me what the "inverse" of an either/or proposition might be, Hawkeye.

The answer is, of course, "your mum."  That and the modify button went wandering again.

But mainly your mum.

vzzbux

So what was Smiley doing during the Seinfield coup? Having a holiday.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Frank

Quote from: vzzbux on 09 December, 2012, 04:54:05 PM

SINFIELD

Hawkmumbler

V
Scripting Talking Head's of the 22nd Century?

Frank

Ewing & Co feel they've covered that with Smiley's line about how it was Bachmann's job to take care of those exigencies and it was his job to keep an eye on her - he only stepped in when Bachmann herself became the threat. And there's this line:

"where I've tweaked here and there you'd be surprised"

It's more interesting to ponder what part he did play in the many calamities, conflicts and coups which have befallen MC1 over the last twenty years. Those will have to remain Untold Stories for now, but BigBarryPenge! (nee Tordelback) was on the money as usual when he said last week that the real villain of the story (and probably the next few years) had just revealed himself.

"Why do I get the feeling you just swapped one problem for another"

Smiley's an interesting antagonist, given the unique circumstances in which Dredd writers and readers find themselves regarding authorial authority; because of the largely invisible and undetectable role he plays in MC1, Smiley can drop in and out of the strip as required. He provides Wagner's understudies with the opportunity to script a major character with a significant role in long-term continuity (even to subtly rewrite existing continuity), while his absence and apparent inaction during Wagner scripted stories (in which he presumably will not feature) need not be explained ... at least until other writers return to the strip. Smiley might be Team Ewing's response to the dilemma of If Wagner didn't write it it didn't happen.

JOE SOAP

I suspect that the Cold Deck has been planting seeds for a Kazan/Smiley interaction or play-off at some stage, if it hasn't all ready been happening behind the scenes. Both characters were manipulating Dredd in Bullet to King Four and Kazan was the one who first uttered the trigger-phrase that Dredd and Smiley put to good use.

Pioneer

Anyone care to explain the whole Big Barry Penge thing?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Pioneer on 09 December, 2012, 09:59:01 PM
Enormo Overdrives original name was Barry Penge, before he changed it by deed pole.

Pioneer

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 December, 2012, 10:11:23 PM
Quote from: Pioneer on 09 December, 2012, 09:59:01 PM
Enormo Overdrives original name was Barry Penge, before he changed it by deed pole.

Ah right course, something I'll pick up again on the reread!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 08 December, 2012, 06:59:49 PM
Quote from: Alien Goodness on 08 December, 2012, 06:42:57 PM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 08 December, 2012, 12:22:54 AM
Didn't realise Trifecta is a real word: a type of bet, especially on horse races, in which the bettor must select the first three finishers...
I didn't know that either. Thanks for the info. I love learning some new bit of (fairly useless) information!  :thumbsup:
As someone who is a betting man I did know this word, much to my chagrin.
I thought I knew it and that it meant a group of three people, normally in some sort of position of power. Turns out I was wrong. On the bright side, the title of the third trade of The Losers (coming, as it does, after Ante Up and Double Down) makes a lot more sense now.
We never really die.

Cactus

Quote from: The Cosh on 10 December, 2012, 12:40:05 AM
I thought I knew it and that it meant a group of three people, normally in some sort of position of power.

That would be a triumvirate; like Julius Caesar, Mark Anthony and the other one.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

GordonR

Quote from: Cactus on 10 December, 2012, 08:25:53 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 10 December, 2012, 12:40:05 AM
I thought I knew it and that it meant a group of three people, normally in some sort of position of power.

That would be a triumvirate; like Julius Caesar, Mark Anthony and the other one.

A Roman bore writes:

There were two triumvirates. The first one with Julius Caesar, Marcus Crassus and Pompey Magnus. It ended with Crassus's death on his ill-advised invasion of the Parthian empire. The second one, post Caesar's assassination, was Mark Anthony, Octavian and Lepidus. Since Octavian went on to become Augustus, supreme ruler and first of the Roman emperors, you can guess how that power-sharing deal worked out for the triumvirate's other two members.

oshii

Quote from: GordonR on 10 December, 2012, 09:16:10 AM
Since Octavian went on to become Augustus, supreme ruler and first of the Roman emperors, you can guess how that power-sharing deal worked out for the triumvirate's other two members.

That's coalitions for you.