Main Menu

Prog 1812 Trifecta

Started by Mattofthespurs, 01 December, 2012, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 December, 2012, 01:35:20 PMThis was DeMarco's first appearance in the prog since she resigned as Sector chief ...

In the Prog, yes, but as far as the core Dredd strip goes she headlined her own half of the Doomsday crossover in the Meg...  That seems pretty significant.  Has anyone else ever done that?  (Maybe Castillo in Wilderlands ?)

As to Travis, yeah, much as I enjoyed him, pretty minor player.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 December, 2012, 01:35:20 PM
...was Travis even a supporting character? ...At best he's a supporting character to a supporting character, no more significant in the context of a Dredd story than the 750 million faceless cits who carked in DoC.

Your posts make it pretty clear that you don't like the character - fair enough - but you keep wilfully ignoring a pretty significant chunk of Meg stories in order to make your agument work. Quality or longterm significance aside, Demarco had quite a few stories under the 'PI' banner and Travis was a signifcant part of every single one of those, right from the beginning. He got arguably more character development in them than Demarco herself ever did, and I'd actually be prepared to put money on the fact that he even got more lines; one three-parter was set entirely in Apetown exploring his past - it was nothing but an exercise in character-building for Travis!
@jamesfeistdraws

Professor Bear

Though aware of those Demarco PI stories as something that existed*, my entire point is that I never read those stories, and I will lay money given the Meg's state at the time that I am not alone in this and thus is created the disparity for prog readers to which I refer.

I am sure that regardless of whether or not it succeeded Demarco PI made every effort to express character and personality for its players, but as of Simping she's a big-tittied redhead for the main character to rescue and then get off with, and given the last time she was seen in the prog - and again I did specify the prog - this creates an odd counter-development where someone previously portrayed as smart, capable and passionate is for some reason now dim, useless and a bit of a chump.  Oh, and she had a talking monkey, but he got shot and she's not bothered, so clearly the monkey wasn't very important.

* Admittedly from the arcade levels of Dredd Vs Death

FinH

I found itv vaguely irritating when Garth Tennis killed off Dekker and whatserface (female Judge whose name temporarily eludes me) in the zombie onslaught. I don't know why but I just got the vibe of "Hee hee I'm in charge of the Dress universe right now and I feel like arbitrarily bumping these two characters just for the fuck of it" off Ennis. That's just my personal take on it but it's what I felt

TordelBack

Quote from: FinH on 19 December, 2012, 01:19:24 AMThat's just my personal take on it but it's what I felt

You weren't wrong.  Who was the other one, besides poor Dekker?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Big Barry PengeBack on 19 December, 2012, 05:38:20 PM

Armour, first Brit-Cit judge we'd ever seen, gets killed off-panel without so much as some final words. Wouldn't have annoyed me half as much had Ennis not contrived to keep his own Judge Joyce out of the firing line...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Quote from: Big Barry PengeBack on 19 December, 2012, 05:38:20 PM
Quote from: FinH on 19 December, 2012, 01:19:24 AMI found it vaguely irritating when Earth Gennis killed off Dekker and whatserface (female Judge whose name temporarily eludes me) in the zombie onslaught

Perrier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minor_characters_in_Judge_Dredd#Perrier

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 19 December, 2012, 07:08:03 PM
Perrier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minor_characters_in_Judge_Dredd#Perrier

Of course, hander-outer of the Stub Gun!  I'd forgotten about poor Armour, but the Joyce switcheroo was one of a handful of things I liked about Judgement Day.  Didn't Inspector Sadu get it too?

FinH

Perrier, that's it!  Thanks.  And thankyou autocorrect for adjusting my typing to reflect the true titles of writer Garth Tennis and famed MegaCity lawman Judge Dress....

Oh, and to my great chagrin, he also killed off the only recurring Aussie Judge ever - poor old Bruce!  Although he did get some decent final words, at least. 

Hawkmumbler

Who was the Brit-Cit Judge that bought the dust? Can't recall...