Main Menu

Prog 1812 Trifecta

Started by Mattofthespurs, 01 December, 2012, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

I'd like to add my name to the list of those requiring thrill buffer reinforcement surgery after this weeks prog. I must admit to feeling a little bit....underwhelmed when I heard Carl Critchlow was handling the art duties. I really like his stuff, but it felt a strange fit. I needn't  have worried. His work here is fucking phenomenal, no other word for it. Kudos to all concerned and happy Christmas! :-)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Richard

You have to wonder how on earth they are going to put together a graphic novel of this whole thing, given that the three strands developed simultaneously side-by-side.

DrJomster

Well done everyone for bringing it home so well. Script, art, lettering, all coming together in one superlative package. Really, really good. What a year for 2000AD!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Robert Frazer

I think that the "Cold Deck" GN would have to be printed as-published - you couldn't run each full story in series because as we've seen over the past few weeks developments have happened alongside each other and one instalment has informed the others (for instance, last week, Dredd's "Bullet to King Four" line was quoted in Low Life). You'd have to print it part-by-part to convey the necessary synchornicity of story development.
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

Cactus

Quote from: Richard on 01 December, 2012, 09:58:09 PM
You have to wonder how on earth they are going to put together a graphic novel of this whole thing, given that the three strands developed simultaneously side-by-side.

I have a feeling that each story will read clearly on its own. I'd also really like to see a volume collecting them all, with each episode in order of publication. Call it Trifecta, put this week's excellent cover art on the front and it's money in the bank.

Oh yeah, great prog by the way.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

A.Cow

Dredd:  There are literally no superlatives strong enough to describe the love I have for this year's big Dredd stories.  First we're spoiled by Day of Chaos and the the whole Cold Deck catches everybody (apart from The Mighty One, of course) by surprise.  You know you're living in a golden age when even the Michael Carroll fillers are coming several items down the list.  What a corking way to end the 35th year of 2000 AD!

Red Seas:  Oh, hang on.  Not in this prog.  But it will be again soon.  As I used to always say: "All good things must come to an end; this is why Family Fortunes is still on the telly."  However, hopefully, Red Seas will soon be over.  I won't mourn it.

Sinister Dexter preview:  Well, there's something else I didn't expect.  I thought we'd seen the last of this pair.  I've enjoyed it in many places, but it's never really been consistent enough to please me.  Let's hope the Burns Droid adds some much-needed quality.

jabish

Great end to a great story. Fun, exciting and shows the kind of stories possible now in the post Day of Chaos setup. Great Dredd, I warmed more to Simping Detective than I have before and Dirty Frank and LowLife was the standout through the whole thing. But the man of the match is Matt Smith for what must have been a logistical nightmare to edit and yet made it look effortless. It really shows up the big American comics crossovers as being messy and unwieldy. While Day of Chaos is still my favourite Dredd story of the past few years (one of my favourite pieces of fiction for the past few years to be honest) and won't be topped for a long long time, this has been very entertaining, and in a time when I was considering switching to a digital sub may have convinced me to stay on paper for another bit at least. Congrats to all concerned. Nice one.

radiator

QuoteMr Wells has it right: Day of Chaos and now this, plus two good Dredd movies. A great year for 2000AD

Make that:

Two amazing Dredd films (and the legendary DREDD fan screening).
Two amazing Dredd soundtrack albums.
Two amazing Dredd epics in the prog.
The finale of the wonderful Nikolai Dante.
The start of a new US Dredd comic.
Johnny Alpha back for the dead.
Dredd cover art hardback book.

I'm going to go for 'best year for 2000ad fans ever'.

judda fett

Only skim reading this thread, (trying not to tear off the flimsy black spoiler negligee) I can hardly wait for Wednesday. A quick question for squaxx- does anyone else still read/ hear Franks dialogue in a Northampton accent?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: judda fett on 02 December, 2012, 02:36:35 PM
A quick question for squaxx- does anyone else still read/ hear Franks dialogue in a Northampton accent?
Quite scarily, yes!

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Robert Frazer on 01 December, 2012, 10:53:02 PM
I think that the "Cold Deck" GN would have to be printed as-published - you couldn't run each full story in series because as we've seen over the past few weeks developments have happened alongside each other and one instalment has informed the others (for instance, last week, Dredd's "Bullet to King Four" line was quoted in Low Life). You'd have to print it part-by-part to convey the necessary synchornicity of story development.

I personally would like to see it as the 'main feature' of Mega-City Undercover, Vol.3. Kicking off with the recent Low Life and Lenny Zero stories (The Deal and Zero's Seven), Then into a couple of the Judge Dredd stories which foreshadowed The Cold Deck, concluding with the whole Cold Deck/Trifecta story itself. I realise you wouldn't normally see actual Judge Dredd stories in M-C Undercover but I think it's appropriate to make an exception in this case. Dredd's about as 'undecover' as he gets in this storyline and his activities are tied up with those of undercover judges. The Simping Detective seems unlikely to get another volume of it's own and is a natural fit for M-C Undercover in any case.

Plus this way, we get to see The Deal and Zero's Seven in GN format sooner rather than (probably much) later. It would also make for a satisfyingly plump volume, around 250+ pages.

judda fett

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 02 December, 2012, 02:46:11 PM
Quote from: judda fett on 02 December, 2012, 02:36:35 PM
A quick question for squaxx- does anyone else still read/ hear Franks dialogue in a Northampton accent?
Quite scarily, yes!

Glad its not just me then.

As for Cold Deck collected I think a standalone collection including the introduction of Bachmann/ Black Ops and "a couple of the Judge Dredd stories which foreshadowed The Cold Deck, concluding with the whole Cold Deck/Trifecta story itself.". Im looking forward to a lovely 3 part Megazine interview with the Cold Deck creators too which is surely on the cards.

moly

What a fantastic prog and what a fantastic year for 2000ad can't wait till 2013

Hawkmumbler

I think the Trifecta GN should be published in linear fashion, including The Family Man and Bullet to King for as prequels, followed by The Cold Deck, Jokers to the Right, Saudade and finaly Trifecta.

Kudos

I haven't got my hands on the prog yet but I have a question for those that have. What's the layout of the prog? Is this one single story using the whole prog with art by Carl Critchlow or is it a final episode of each of the three Dredd/Frank/Point strips and a finale combining the three by Critchlow? Also who gets the writing credits here?