Main Menu

Prog 1812 Trifecta

Started by Mattofthespurs, 01 December, 2012, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alien Goodness

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 05 December, 2012, 04:52:23 PM
BLOG Judge Dredd Writer Al Ewing on 2000AD's Surprising Crossover

In which Ewing discusses his plot to kill Dredd and replace him with Giant.

Thanks for sharing this link - it was an informative interview

W. R. Logan

Really, that was it?
How many disasters, how many millions dead, how many halls of justice destroyed and  yet only now does a man in a secret room reveal himself.
I know over the weeks I've said I've not enjoyed this multi story and havent read many of the other parts outside of Dredd but honestly is this really what the board has been going crazy over.
Roll on Prog 2013 and then a few weeks before we get another Prg and can move on.

Alien Goodness

As for Prog 1812 - What. A. Prog.

I have to 'fess that there's a massive gap in my 2000AD knowledge (from around 1990-2010) but I think this is the best Dredd story I've ever read, coming on the back of the wonderful Day of Chaos. Cold Deck reminds of the Block Mania & Apocalypse War stories that profoundly impacted me all those years ago. I haven't read these stories for well over a quarter of a century, but I still remember the overall gist and can still visualise certain panels that were punched onto my memory circuits ([spoiler]such as Judge Giant's death[/spoiler]). In 25 years time, I'm sure I'll still remember the gist of these three stories, and those jaw-dropping moments such as Prog 1807 and D'Israeli's cover last week.

Proudhuff

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 05 December, 2012, 05:42:48 PM
Really, that was it?
How many disasters, how many millions dead, how many halls of justice destroyed and  yet only now does a man in a secret room reveal himself.

He's been in the shadows, much like the other Smiley and his circus, he does say he's tweaked things along the way or something similar. Its like saying what were our sercet services doing to stop the various 'events' that have happen to us..  45 mins and all that.

DDT did a job on me

W. R. Logan

Quote from: Proudhuff on 05 December, 2012, 05:56:19 PMHe's been in the shadows, much like the other Smiley and his circus, he does say he's tweaked things along the way or something similar. Its like saying what were our sercet services doing to stop the various 'events' that have happen to us..  45 mins and all that.

You may not know what the secret services are doing but you know they exist.
Judge Smiley I could just about buy but a room next to the CJ's office is just bollocks.

Greg M.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 05 December, 2012, 04:52:23 PM

BLOG Judge Dredd Writer Al Ewing on 2000AD's Surprising Crossover

In which Ewing discusses his plot to kill Dredd and replace him with Giant.

Ewing's love of Giant endears him to me enormously. I actually agree with his vision of Dredd post-Dredd, as it were.

Professor Bear

I thought that stretched credibility, too, but only because anyone who's ever been in a caravan knows what happens when someone has a big poo, and this guy spent twenty years in a pooey caravan without ever once having to open a window and then go for a walk?  That bit where he says to Hershey "Won't you come in?" would have ended with her sniffing the air and saying "No.  I'm good out here, thanks."

The logic does not hold water.

Fisticuffs

When a story features something the size of Luna 2 being constructed in secret, and then taking off and flying away, then a secret room next door to someones office is the least of my concerns. :p

Professor Bear

I have never made a city on the moon and then flown it to Earth and invaded America, but I have taken a smelly shit in a caravan.

Aonghus

Didn't smiley say that he had plenty of ways in and out though? I imagine he has a special smelly shit room somewhere else. I'm picturing a mini-mole kingdom sprawling through the walls and floors of the Grand Hall, actually...

karl

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 05 December, 2012, 06:16:41 PM
...a room next to the CJ's office is just bollocks.

Quote from: Unicorn Bukakke on 05 December, 2012, 06:33:44 PM
...this guy spent twenty years in a pooey caravan without ever once having to open a window and then go for a walk?

For a start, you guys do realise it's not a single room? It's implied he has several within the walls of Grand Hall - the door into Hershey's office is only one of many ways in and out. And who was supposed to have said he never left it? He interviewed Dredd and Frank in an entirely different room, for one thing - Dredd's seen leaving a ground-floor room with trees outside in the flashback. Not to mention that in Prog 1809's flashback he's on an H-wagon in Siberia.

In any case, it's explained in the story that the whole point of the character was as a failsafe 'to judge the judges who judge the judges' and to work 'in the background - behind the scenes. Make sure someone like Cal can never threaten this city again.' Why is it silly that he has a room next to the Chief Judge's office when his purpose for 20 years has been to keep an eye on the CJ?
@jamesfeistdraws

Andy Smart

I thought Smiley working in the walls was a great touch. Maybe he had his rooms constructed the last time the Hall of Justice was destroyed. It reminded me of Varis from Game of Thrones.

Speaking of spies, does anyone think that the script was adjusted to include comments made on the board. I'm specifically thinking of Maitland's references to "Mr Biscuits" here. I know I've seen Ewing logged on here a few times recently.

SmallBlueThing

Well, that was something wasnt it? Despite my whole family interrupting me at various points throughout- something they dont usually do- it held my interest nicely. As usual, the Dredd and Frank bits were better than the Simp bits (i find Simp quite hard to read at the best of times- and with Coleby on art this is the best of times for Simp) and im afraid i'll never love Carl Critchlow's artistry as much as Flint, Coleby or D'israeli so it was always going to be a step down in that respect. But aside from that- what a way to wrap up a fantastic year for Dredd specifically, and 2000AD in general. Yes, having Smiley in the walls was on the surface a bit silly- but that's the way of these things; audacious reveals you'd not guess in a million years that while not really hanging together convince you they do by sleight of hand. Best not to look too closely.

I'd be happy if this were the end of Jack Point and Demarco- that all seems so old now. Let's move on- new Dredds, Frank a regular in the main strip (cont)

SmallBlueThing

(cont), Dredd and Hershey at each other's throats, the clean-up, exploration of the sunken lunar 2 (a whole epic or spin-off series right there, as they go looking for supplies and parts to help the dying Meg!)- let's just move forward now.

As for the rest of the prog... Um, oh yes- John Burns on SiniDex! That's magnificent. Can we please have SiniDex back for an extended period. If we cant have Kingdom, we should have Abnett in the prog in some form, and SiniDex is his other masterpiece. Lots of stories, lots of artists please Tharg. Including David Millgate, if he's game. A shame we didnt get letters this week, but hopefully some next week.

Dont honestly know how Prog 2013 can out-thrill 1812 or the expectation thereof- but i'll look forward to it trying.

SBT