Main Menu

Prog 1812 Trifecta

Started by Mattofthespurs, 01 December, 2012, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisticuffs

Excellent! Emminently quotable, funny, action packed and a very skillful winding up of three seperate storylines. Loved it all, too many good bits to list them all, although I loved Points [spoiler]Clowns and Aliens vs Ninjas[/spoiler] line, made me chuckle.

Also relieved that [spoiler]all major characters remained alive! Was genuinely worried at which one we might lose, could've been anyone.[/spoiler]

And how many people died [spoiler]on board Luna 2?! Is Dirty Frank catching up with Dredd in the mass-murdering stakes?![/spoiler].

Struggling to see how Prog 2013 can top this!

Buttonman

I concur with the positive messages posted thus far. I read it in the bath with oohs and ahhs abounding. Shouldn't manage the hot tap with my feet. Great concept with flawless execution - still surprising and thrilling after 35 years. Tharg you do indeed spoil us.

Pete Wells

Hey, nice new avatar BM!

As others have said, it was a frikkin' AMAZING prog! Far too many highlights to mention with Carl Critchlow handling every character admirably. Some of his pages were simply stunning, giving a real epic feel to proceedings.

Good Grud, Day of Chaos, a couple of clunky, but necessary mini parters, then this! What a year for Dredd!

Fave line of the prog "[spoiler]Who the hell's gonna mess with us[/spoiler]?" Classic!

Pete Wells

Bah, double post but I forgot to say, I love the loose ends this leaves - most notably (until I read it again,) is just how much of a problem is Judge Smiley going to be and where on earth does this leave Dredd and Hershey?

Can't wait to find out!

Richard

That was a very special prog. Well done to all concerned.

JUDGE BURNS

My prog arrived today just before 1pm........My sweaty hands were shaking uncontrollably as I tried to tear off the wrapper after my subscription prog dropped onto the floor.  I teased it out quickly scanned each page and it blew my mind !  What a story (3 stories) and what a finish ...WOW

I have re-read it quite a few times today now.

THIS IS WHY I JUST LOVE 2000AD. Awesome stories and awesome artwork at its best.

Best line..." Who the hell's gonna mess with us?" 

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Pete Wells on 01 December, 2012, 04:58:12 PM
Bah, double post but I forgot to say, I love the loose ends this leaves - most notably (until I read it again,) is just how much of a problem is Judge Smiley going to be and where on earth does this leave Dredd and Hershey?

I love that Smiley, a significant behind-the-scenes player in Simping Detective for years now, has suddenly become a prominent figure in Low Life and Dirty Frank's backstory. Wonder who claims credit for the character? Kinda feels, incidentally, like Point's almost had his swansong, with all his strip's ongoing plot threads relatively tied up - Daveez dead and Travis dead, Smiley revealed, Demarco in his bed. Doesn't seem as if Spurrier means to return to him any time soon, but it's a nice place to leave him.
@jamesfeistdraws

mygrimmbrother

Yep, they managed to pull it all off didn't they? Huge kudos to the creators, not least for the audacity of the whole thing. Critchlow on art was a great choice and made me hunger for more. Was it really the prelude to Tour of Duty we saw him last? C'mon Tharg, the pjrase 'criminally underused' is applicable here I think.

My one tiny gripe is that [spoiler]we didn't lose any of the main cast.[/spoiler] The story felt so big and ambitious that [spoiler]not losing anyone sort[/spoiler] of feels like we got a bit short-changed. [spoiler]But if that someone had have been Dirty Frank,[/spoiler] I think I may have wept uncontrollably into my morning cuppa.

Hard to see how the end of year prog can top this (Dirty) frankly.

Eamonn Clarke

Mr Wells has it right: Day of Chaos and now this, plus two good Dredd movies. A great year for 2000AD

Trout

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 01 December, 2012, 05:51:58 PM
Doesn't seem as if Spurrier means to return to him any time soon

I did wonder who was saying goodbye in that last white-on-black caption.

Colin YNWA

The postie was quite the tease today and only dropped his load when we were on our way out after lunch and so only just been able to get deep into this now.

It was always going to be difficult to pull off a climax to what had gone before, but you know what, it was big, it was brash, but the threesome just about held it together, so we can all be satisfied and everything came together nicely in the end.

So impressed as our aerial fishy ex-monarch said with how three different style slipped in together so seamlessly, squeezed in perfectly and thrillingly.

Mind it wasn't perfect, though it looked absolutely bloody epic, wonderful choice of artist. At first I was a bit muh about the fact that the three big bads [spoiler]all got off'd in the same fashion, appointed enemy at their mercy until entrance from off panel guns them down[/spoiler], then I realised the echoing of the ends of the three storylines was entirely apt and perfect reflection of the build up.

The biggest problem was we'd had our surprises, we knew what was coming and so while it was suitably epic it didn't quite have the thrill and intrigue of what had gone before. It also doesn't feel like it will have any [spoiler]real long term consequences  [/spoiler] which it felt like it deserved, but being none Wagner we probably shouldn't have expected... and I guess in some ways I'm glad... well I say no consequences but love the new Dredd [spoiler]Hershey [/spoiler]dynamic [spoiler](I'll spoiler in case people aren't sure if she makes it out?)[/spoiler] and Smiley has a shed load of potential for the future.

I think when read as one this ending will feel as wonderful and fitting as the rest and entirely suitable. Just right now in isolation, when you compare it to say Eurotrash's similar Prog long ending and as I say in isolation, it doesn't feel quite so perfect...

ASTONISHINGLY GOOD mind, just not quite at the mind blowing level of the build up... oh and I mention Eurotrash deliberately as good as this was my nerdgasm came a bit too early, when I shot my bolt with that thrills of the future ad. I'd asked Simon Davis recently if he'd be coming back to Sinister Dexter and he said, as I expected, that he was pretty much done with it, I was sad... then John Burn steps up and colour me giddy, that is just glorious I simply can't wait for that (as long as he can share duties with Anthony Williams?)

Trout

By the way, Tharg mentions two past progs which were single-story issues: the Dredd/Fr1day one and the Slaine one. I'm sure there was a Dredd one, too. Wasn't In The Year 2120 a full-prog story? Or was it just a longer one?

Hawkmumbler

From memory of wiki searches;
EuroCrash final istalment
Dredd/ Friday
Some story that wraped up events of City of the Damned in prog 2120

Hawkmumbler

Edit! Prog 1077. The story was called In the Year 2120.

sheldipez

Looks like prog 1812 was so shocking that it's prompted someone to sell their 2000ad collection off  :lol: