Main Menu

Prog 1812 Trifecta

Started by Mattofthespurs, 01 December, 2012, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 05 December, 2012, 04:52:23 PM

BLOG Judge Dredd Writer Al Ewing on 2000AD's Surprising Crossover

In which Ewing discusses his plot to kill Dredd and replace him with Giant.
Personally I think this would be a bad idea to replace Dredd with Giant. When was Giant last in the prog?

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

W. R. Logan

QuoteDont honestly know how Prog 2013 can out-thrill 1812 or the expectation thereof- but i'll look forward to it trying.

Easily, Prog 2013 wont have Cold Deck in it.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 05 December, 2012, 09:47:27 PM
QuoteDont honestly know how Prog 2013 can out-thrill 1812 or the expectation thereof- but i'll look forward to it trying.

I don't like to put on accents but...Yo mad bro?

Professor Bear

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 05 December, 2012, 07:45:15 PMFor a start, you guys do realise it's not a single room?

I'm not saying he didn't have more than one room, I'm saying the smell of a big poo - especially one encouraged by the consumption of carb-rich biscuits and lots of tea - would get everywhere to the point you have to open windows on either side of the living area and pray the feng shui of the room(s) lead to the creation a sort of wind tunnel that pulls the smell outside.  Now, if the Chief Judge's office is on one side of this secret room, then an open window on the other side is going to blow the poo smell into it, which means that a succession of Chief Judges have said absolutely nothing about the stink of shit that comes out of nowhere when they're trying to work, and for me that stretches credibility far more than any invading moon city piloted by a shark.

Frank

Quote from: vzzbux on 05 December, 2012, 08:58:53 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 05 December, 2012, 04:52:23 PM
BLOG Judge Dredd Writer Al Ewing on 2000AD's Surprising Crossover In which Ewing discusses his plot to kill Dredd and replace him with Giant.

Personally I think this would be a bad idea to replace Dredd with Giant.

Preferable to replacing Dredd with another Fargo clone for the sake of it. You either use one of the many available options to keep Dredd going indefinitely (which I'm not in favour of) or make a virtue out of a necessity and embrace the fact that a different focal point for the strip means writers don't keep repeating the same beats which Wagner's been hitting expertly for three decades. As Ewing points out in that interview, even the I never knew my hero Daddy angle is given a new spin once the clone dynamic is replaced with Giant's conception from carnal desire.

I think it's important that Ewing cited the example of Taggart (i); you keep the name and don't directly replace the departed character, making a greater variety of stories and narrative voices possible as the supporting cast take turns as the reader's point of entry into the story. This solves at a stroke the problem that most writers can't really write Dredd himself, but - as recent strips have demonstrated - they have no trouble writing about MC1.

(i) I would say that though, I used the Taggart comparison myself earlier this year.

Spikes

No Judge Dredd, no Judge Dredd title. That is all.
Prog 1812 - still collating..

The Enigmatic Dr X

For I am lazy and have a short attention span...

could someone tell me what Frank saw in a blizzard?

Oh, and I agree with Logan. Did Smiley have to be in the walls? He could have been somewhere else (a mopad?)
Lock up your spoons!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Unicorn Bukakke on 05 December, 2012, 09:51:24 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 05 December, 2012, 07:45:15 PMFor a start, you guys do realise it's not a single room?

I'm not saying he didn't have more than one room, I'm saying the smell of a big poo - especially one encouraged by the consumption of carb-rich biscuits and lots of tea - would get everywhere to the point you have to open windows on either side of the living area and pray the feng shui of the room(s) lead to the creation a sort of wind tunnel that pulls the smell outside.  Now, if the Chief Judge's office is on one side of this secret room, then an open window on the other side is going to blow the poo smell into it, which means that a succession of Chief Judges have said absolutely nothing about the stink of shit that comes out of nowhere when they're trying to work, and for me that stretches credibility far more than any invading moon city piloted by a shark.

Extractor-Fan to outside building.

Grant Goggans

Quote from: Unicorn Bukakke on 05 December, 2012, 04:05:03 PM
although it is deeply gratifying to me that those who rave about this can now no longer make fun of Marvel or DC crossover events without coming off as snobs and/or hypocrites.

The hell we can't.  The only inter-title superhero crossover in the last twenty years that's been worth a toss was DC One Million, and even there, more than a third of its crossover issues were utterly unnecessary, and the collected edition omitted the setup for the damn twist ending by leaving out the "Chronos" issue.  This made as much sense as an eventual "Cold Deck" collection leaving out "Bullet to King Four."

I'll grant you Avengers-Defenders War from the early '70s, which was awesome, but I've read far too many of these stupid funnybooks to be labeled a snob, and it's not hypocritical to note that superhero crossovers stink because they're driven by editorial fiat and the whims of far too many cooks in the kitchen and they require a massive investment from buyers to get all of the story, promising "nothing will be the same again" and never, ever delivering anything more than a cosmetic change that lasts as long as the next writer's whim.  That wasn't the case here.

JOE SOAP

At least we didn't have to spend any more money for 10 times the thrills.

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 05 December, 2012, 10:15:56 PM
No Judge Dredd, no Judge Dredd title. That is all.

I forgot to mention that Judge Giant is the coolest name for anything ever.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 05 December, 2012, 10:23:25 PM

With in-built sulphur filter.

Beaker

Utterly donkey-botheringly stunningly awesome!
"I've got 'em.....I just ain't scratching!'

jannerboyuk

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 05 December, 2012, 10:23:25 PM
Quote from: Unicorn Bukakke on 05 December, 2012, 09:51:24 PM

or maybe a toilet?

jannerboyuk

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 05 December, 2012, 09:47:27 PM

why do people keep calling it 2013 instead of 1813? What am I missing?