Main Menu

Prog 1812 Trifecta

Started by Mattofthespurs, 01 December, 2012, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Those comments do not actually sicken me, Michael.

Molch-R

Quote from: Hawkeye McGillicuddy on 06 December, 2012, 12:34:52 PM
Those comments do not actually sicken me, Michael.

Regardless, I'd like the conversation to move on, please.

Goaty

Quote from: Proudhuff on 06 December, 2012, 11:25:07 AM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 06 December, 2012, 12:15:47 AM
Just noticed a nice bit of [spoiler]boot knife action[/spoiler] from Dredd on page six. Down, but never out.

That made me smile, no song no dance not even BOOT KNIFE!

Love that!

Taryn Tailz

A day at Edinburgh Christmas Fair followed by reading the Prog on the train home made for a brilliant day. :D

Absolutly fantastic prog with so many highlights, but if I had to chose one moment as my favourite it would be the panel with all the main characters and Point saying:

"...who inna Hells gonna mess with us?"

Quite possibly the best prog ever, bringing to a close quite possibly the best story to ever appear in 2000ad.

A huge thank you to all involved.

Tiplodocus

Overall it gets a thumbs up from me.

Which is not to say it didn't have huge bits that I found illogical and unbelievable. The whole counter plan from Smiley relied far too much on sheer chance.

Dirty Frank managing to catchup with a spacecraft? And then just happening to be near the same part of the city sized spacecraft that Sympathetic Clegg was? Relying on a regularly selfish character to come good in the end? And have enough friends left over from the chaos virus to make a difference? Try and blow up a city directly above our heads?

So many holes in the plot.

Butvi let it slide because of the sheer joy of the ride, the scale, the chutzpah, the art and some cracking dialogue.

Now imagine if you had all that and a plot that made sense.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Fisticuffs

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 06 December, 2012, 09:20:27 PM
Dirty Frank managing to catchup with a spacecraft? And then just happening to be near the same part of the city sized spacecraft that Sympathetic Clegg was? Try and blow up a city directly above our heads?

Dirty Frank was supposed to be nice and cushty in the board room of Luna 2, not floating through space in his underwear, ready to take over Luna 2 and blow it up/disable it when the command came (presumably away from MC1). It was never Smiley's plan to have Frank placed in such precarious situations, its only having his cover blown that caused that.

How do we know Sensitive Clegg was right by that particular airlock? The intercom system presumably covers the entirety of Luna 2, many others may have heard Frank calling for help, but sensitive Clegg was the only one that responded.

Bat King

I now need to re-read the whole thing... and I seem to have misplaced Progs!!!!
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Spikes

On first reading i felt a bit letdown by it all.
Not because of the suspenion of disbelief required in places, but because it wrapped up so neatly. After such a delicious build up, a quick fire-fight and the bad guys/gal are dead, and everybody lives happily ever after...

Perhaps endings always disapoint to a degree, or maybe my thrill sensors are just frazzled by the weeks long thrill-overload thats been second to none.

But.....

So much to love as well, in this prog. A wonderful symmetry to it all. Brilliant stand out moments, far too many to list here, coming thick and fast - but fave little bit? the barely visible boot knife action from Dredd. Makes me smile that, and viewed as a whole what a glorious ride its been these weeks, and this is the story thats brought the superb Dirty Frank to my attention. Thank you!
A joy to be buying the prog at the moment. So huge congratulations to ALL involved in this. Ladies, Gentlemen -  i salute you.

maryanddavid

Same as that Jack, well done all round. This is a widescreen hollywood Dredd, plot holes and all, classic.
What I like most about it is the obvious care that has gone into the crossover, the drive is to make a story not money. Brilliant. Best non-Wagner Dredd?

dweezil2

I demand more from sensitive Klegg!

Hell! Give him a spin-off series if necessary, he was a fantastic character; endearing and funny in equal measures.
Made me pine for Tweak too.  :'(
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JayzusB.Christ

Hadn't bought the prog in a while due to post-travel poverty and discombobulation; but seeing what had happened (and recovering some of my financial losses) in the meantime I bought a glut of digi-progs and read them all in a night.  Fuckinell, 2000ad is still the best comic there is; it really is.
Current Tharg may well be the best Tharg ever - this is comics editing at its best.  A 28-page story with a point (don't say it), rather than just a novelty-value factor.  Also, it's heartening to know now for a fact that we have a new wave of creative droid legends.
Well done, all.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Goaty

Dandontdare

Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 01 December, 2012, 12:20:01 PMJudge Smiley looks just like Alan Bennett.
Heh, yeah, as soon as I noticed that i had to imagine all the dialogue in his voice - it works in a weird way!

An exhilarating wrap up to one of the story events of the year.. decade .. EVER! Yes, there were a few plot holes and implausibilities, but I don't care. So many good lines .. [spoiler]"Not for me Maitland, for the law" and "Dirty Frank's internal monologue" were among my favourites[/spoiler].

Well done to all concerned, I can't remember anticipating my prog's arrival so much since Artie Gruber was about to set fire to Giant!

Richmond Clements

It's a measure of just how good this was, and the supreme confidence of the writers, that they went for and got away with "Who the hell's going to mess with us?"
Sublime stuff.

Spikes

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 December, 2012, 09:42:46 AM
the supreme confidence of the writers, that they went for and got away with "Who the hell's going to mess with us?"

Yep, it would be a harsh soul that couldnt forgive its inclusion, though it is cheese of the highest proportion!