Main Menu

Prog 1812 Trifecta

Started by Mattofthespurs, 01 December, 2012, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

Congradulations all round to those involved on this very surprising and very pleasing mini-epic.Clever stuff.

My only gripes (and they are small) would be ,as others have said, the 'Smiley room next door' and Dredd 'too miraculous' recovery.Other than that it was superbly done.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Judge Jack on 07 December, 2012, 10:39:02 AM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 December, 2012, 09:42:46 AM
the supreme confidence of the writers, that they went for and got away with "Who the hell's going to mess with us?"

Yep, it would be a harsh soul that couldnt forgive its inclusion, though it is cheese of the highest proportion!

It broke the story for me mainly because it wasn't the first such Ennis-cribbing I'd seen in Dredd*, and had the exact same impact as it would have had if the character had said "let's rock and roll" or "let's finish this", but even contextually it was unjustified as the characters had only survived that far by what seemed like luck rather than Alpha/Dredd levels of badassery.  It might have been meant to be sarcasm, though - I'll cede I might be reading the comic wrong.

* That Avengers parody that ended with an almost verbatim quote from the end of Ennis' The Pro, for instance.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkeye McGillicuddy on 07 December, 2012, 04:06:34 PM
It might have been meant to be sarcasm, though - I'll cede I might be reading the comic wrong.

Given that it's delivered by a guy with a clown nose and giant shoes, then immediately undercut by Frank, I think it's supposed to highlight the distinct lack of bad-assery...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Quote from: dweezil2 on 07 December, 2012, 01:40:42 AM
I demand more from sensitive Klegg! Hell! Give him a spin-off series if necessary, he was a fantastic character; endearing and funny in equal measures.

He was a story highlight for me, along with Enormo Overdrive. Two instantly enjoyable characters like those can't be sent to Mek-Quake just because one of them's had a bullet through the (shark's) head. If ever a character embodied The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living it's Enormo, and I can imagine how a gallery opening by some future equivalent of Damien Hirst could be spoiled by a freshly marinated Overdive dramatically demonstrating exactly that sophomoric philosphical construct.

You'd have to title any story where Overdrive did a Mean Angel Maximum Overdrive, and the just when you thought it was safe to go back in the boardroom straplines write themselves.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 December, 2012, 04:23:32 PM
Quote from: Hawkeye McGillicuddy on 07 December, 2012, 04:06:34 PM
It might have been meant to be sarcasm, though - I'll cede I might be reading the comic wrong.

Given that it's delivered by a guy with a clown nose and giant shoes, then immediately undercut by Frank, I think it's supposed to highlight the distinct lack of bad-assery...

Cheers

Jim

And yet neither of can actually tell one way or the other even now.

opaque

I thought it was great, theres a few issues, but not Smiley, not any of the 'what if's' that totally rely on Point or Frank to have survived all the other things they have been doing (and could have easily been lost in as the plan was set up many years ago) but mainly Luna 2 being basically dumped in the Black Atlantic, surely landing it ON the city might have been an option, even in the cursed earth, but I guess that can be answered/utilised at some point.
No my biggest issue was the artwork. I like his work, but it was totally the wrong artist to finish on, gave it a very dodgy and well, non serious sharp look in my mind.

It's where we go from here that is the interesting point and it'll be interesting to see how it gets included. We can't have another major thing never being mentioned again can we?

Mabs

Wow. Thats the first thing which i uttered when i opened the pages of Trifecta and my eyes fell upon Carl Critchlow's magnificent artwork especially the two page spread of the Godcity in the begining. Absolutely superb.

I'll be honest, it took me a good few prog's before i really got into the Cold Deck/ Lowlife/ Simping storylines but once i did, i thoroughly enjoyed reading them especially the first two. And now we come to this terrific issue with all three storylines coming to a head. And what can i say, its been a joy to read. My favourite moments has to be Dirty Frank's hilarious escapades. Theres a small moment Frank tells the Judges to rescue Sensitive Klegg from the Godcity and it damn near melted my heart :D, i hope we get to see Sensitive Klegg again. Really gutted to see 'Barry Penge Sharkface' getting his comeuppance but not before uttering one of the funniest threats i've had the pleasure of reading in the prog's thus far! All in all it was a great finish. Few quibbles which has already been mentioned by others, but these do not detract from the enjoyment.

Its not the absolute best Dredd i've read, but its definitely one of the best.

Hats off to everyone involved. Really really looking forward to Prog 2013!

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

SuperSurfer

What a way to finish my week. Picked up my prog on way home (the last copy in the thrill merchant I should add). Read the whole prog then most of this thread.

Didn't realise Trifecta is a real word. 

a type of bet, especially on horse races, in which the bettor must select the first three finishers...

A great big bang cinematic finale. Really like the way it started with little hints that barely registered (with me anyway) such as recurring images in the different storylines ie flying ducks and then it clicked into place with Dredd kicking down a door. Brilliant. 

This  gave me what I waa longing for: longer stories rather than the usual short episodes - where writers can explore different pacing and have the lead characters pop in and out of the storyline. 

Great exploration of the medium. 

Collectors edition: three volumes in a slip case? In my dreams. Er, with floppy finale. 

2000AD again shows them how it's done.

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 08 December, 2012, 12:22:54 AM
Collectors edition: three volumes in a slip case? In my dreams. Er, with floppy finale.

Spooky! Were you hiding in my house when I was on Skype earlier :o

MercZ

Everyone else has been saying it, but hell I can add to it- great issue! That being said, I was scratching my head seeing that [spoiler]Smiley's been living in a secret room beside the Chief Justice's office. But I guess it is excusable considering Smiley was a character introduced for the purposes of this arc[/spoiler]

It came together well regardless. I will look for this when it gets to a collected edition one day along with Day of Chaos.

zombemybabynow

Fucking brilliant and critchlow too boot!  Wow
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

TordelBack

Steve Green

Enjoyed it on the whole, but on reflection preferred the lead-ups and not entirely sure that Frank and Jack didn't overwhelm the style of the Cold Deck buildup when they actually were in the Dredd strip proper.

For me, the cameos, coincidences, Dredd's near invulnerability and one liners did have a feel of a RTD Dr Who finale, where the crowd pleasing moments took priority over it standing up to too much scrutiny.

Frank

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 08 December, 2012, 12:58:34 AM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 08 December, 2012, 12:22:54 AM

Spooky! Were you hiding in my house when I was on Skype earlier :o

He's always been hiding behind a secret panel in your walls, through Judgement Day and through Doomsday, working in the background to make sure something like Lawman of the Future can't happen to your collection ever again.

Zarjazzer

An amazing prog.  :o Just inspired on all levels. The big two look like navel gazing back slappers in a cul-de-sac by comparison. yes a huge city going in to an ocean is probably going to have much more dire effects but I blissfully ignored all this being swept along by the story and art.

Aliens and clowns vs ninjas. Cool. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.