Main Menu

Prog 1835: Backblast!

Started by JamesC, 01 June, 2013, 10:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

QuoteThe specific issue with continuity in the post-DoC stories is this: the judges lost, completely and irrevocably, and the MC-1 Our Hero was created to serve is dead.  Dredd's story at the moment is scurrying about trying to do something with the pieces that are left. 

Well you say that. But I've yet to really get the impression that the Judges are in a precarious position post DoC. I mean, we are often shown crumbling sectors, and reminded about how many people died.

But the city still seems to function, the Judges still seem to judge, and the world keeps turning. So I've been a bit disappointed with the ramifications of Day of Chaos. Like Rebellion just can't pull the trigger on how BAD things would actually be if that much of the city was wrecked. It should basically be those Apocalypse War scenes after the bombs drop and Dredd and the Judges are roving around, all. the. time.

IMO

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Goaty

Great prog today.

and for all talks about Dredd post-DoC stories, I still think the aftermath hadn't affect the Mega-City 1 yet, so long wait for next big story that will happens...

I love to be wrong...?

sheldipez

Quote from: The Adventurer on 06 June, 2013, 08:34:16 PM
QuoteThe specific issue with continuity in the post-DoC stories is this: the judges lost, completely and irrevocably, and the MC-1 Our Hero was created to serve is dead.  Dredd's story at the moment is scurrying about trying to do something with the pieces that are left. 

Well you say that. But I've yet to really get the impression that the Judges are in a precarious position post DoC. I mean, we are often shown crumbling sectors, and reminded about how many people died.

But the city still seems to function, the Judges still seem to judge, and the world keeps turning. So I've been a bit disappointed with the ramifications of Day of Chaos. Like Rebellion just can't pull the trigger on how BAD things would actually be if that much of the city was wrecked. It should basically be those Apocalypse War scenes after the bombs drop and Dredd and the Judges are roving around, all. the. time.

IMO

The biggest thing I've noticed post DoC was the 1st page synopsis changed to reflect the reduced 50 million cit count ;D Other than that I don't feel they've done a great job of really getting the insane loss and devastation across well.

LorcanQ

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 June, 2013, 06:26:16 PM
The specific issue with continuity in the post-DoC stories is this: the judges lost, completely and irrevocably, and the MC-1 Our Hero was created to serve is dead.  Dredd's story at the moment is scurrying about trying to do something with the pieces that are left.  As a surviving citizen, it is very likely that your entire family and most people you knew are dead (as cleverly evoked in Rennie and Beeby's collaboration). This is not some temporary overthrow of power or some supernatural disaster, this is the sad protracted self-inflicted end of the greatest city on Earth.

Without including this event, which happened in the past year, there's no way of telling any valid story about MC-1 in 2135.

For my money, the earlier post-DoC stories (or the retro-fitted ones) suffered from not grasping this nettle, presumably because it really wasn't apparent when the story was pitched or scripted.  Even in the current hard-hitting story, I don't really see the full horror of what has happened: we see riots, lawlessness, hopelessness, but we don't see what it was those things were consciously created to serve: the spread of the Chaos Bug itself. 

Which isn't to say that I want things to stay like that forever, but for now, for better or worse, Dredd stories that don't acknowledge and foreground what's just happened are missing the point. 

Also, and as a more general point, gripes about stories requiring knowledge of past stories annoy me.  Yes, it'd be great if things were entirely self-contained for the new reader, but after 36 years week-in week-out it'd also be completely ridiculous.

As my comment was what started this whole discussion...
My original comment was : "DREDD - Solid ending, 6 parts already? Aimed more at people who are more familiar with dredd continuity than me i think but still, perfectly easy to understand and was entertaining."
So first off, it wasn't a gripe in the slightest, I was just saying the story wasn't aimed at me it was aimed at long-time readers, which i have no problem with.

Secondly, I have no problem understanding that all this is after DoC which, from what ive gathered, was a war, something to do with the Russians, meg-city 1 is a mess, the Judges are struggling to hold power. That's all well and good and it'd be essential for stories to follow on from that. How I felt this week's story was continuity heavy was that the whole reason and shock ending of the story was that first, dredd has a female clone and second, [spoiler]that she's pregnant[/spoiler]. Not even realising (until this story began) that Dredd had a clone at all (ie. Dolman), this ending had no effect on me whatsoever. However, for a long time reader familiar with Dolman, cloning, etc. it could have a huge effect.

That said, I don't have a problem with it at all. It's a dredd story for dredd fans. However, that the plot relies more or less completely on the build-up to this shock ending means it is in no way aimed at new readers.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Adventurer on 06 June, 2013, 08:34:16 PM

You're not wrong (although the physical destruction of urban fabric and disproportionate loss of Judges shouldn't be as severe as the Apocalypse War). I don't think any of the post-DoC stories have really dealt with the implications of the final part. While many have tackled specific aspects successfully (PTSD, secessionism, attempted coups, breakdown of supplies and services), the overall picture hasn't been seen: the sheer scale of the deaths, the loss of the Academy and any hope of recovery, what it really means to try to police a giant sprawling graveyard sporadically populated with people you have utterly failed.

JOE SOAP

And what the drokk happened to Total War...

Goaty

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 June, 2013, 09:03:23 PM

the overall picture hasn't been seen: the sheer scale of the deaths, the loss of the Academy and any hope of recovery, what it really means to try to police a giant sprawling graveyard sporadically populated with people you have utterly failed.

Been waiting patiently for this too. Really need to see things on a larger scale, there must swathes of the city practically empty. No real mention of how the chaos bug affected the rest of the world either.

Maybe a story on Judge suicide, almost unheard of previously (except when physically cornered ,as a sacrifice (good old Souster) or about to be arrested for corruption).
Remember Odell after Necropolis?
Their lives are centred on serving the populace. Most of their cits have just bit the dust, that must have a deep impact on the rank and file. It would give an opportunity to present an overview as part of the story.
One for the suggestion box.

Albion

I see a board member gets a name check in the Prog. Robbins Bar eh?
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Dog Deever

I've enjoyed The Forsaken, and it does suddenly feel like how I imagined post-DoC to be. PJ's art has been top drawer throughout and it's been the leading light in the prog for me throughout it's run. Likely because of the big reveals in the story, it in no way has felt throwaway. Great, memorable stuff.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Zarjazzer

Loved the cover and Stickleback dominates the whole prog for me not just due to it's length. Where else in comics can you read of [spoiler]the lead character saved inside the body of a dead/undead/frankensteined colleague[/spoiler]? Fantastic storytelling and art with a nice lead into what is presumably the next series.

Enjoyed Dredd and Anderson-especially the last Dredd panel.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Dan Banks

Bit late in getting my thoughts out for this one. I'm blaming Tharg for having a little Defoe sale in the shop.

A lot has been said about Dredd already so I'll just say that I loved it. It reads very well in one sitting as well. Special mention to how Dolman played Falcon during their little scuffle, excellent. I agree with LorcanQ that the cloning side of things had little effect on me as a new reader but I'd argue that the story was interesting enough that the cliffhanger ending was just a bonus.

Anderson was pretty decent without being spectacular. The trippy last page was excellent though. Sinister Dexter really surprised me this week. I re-read up to this point (mostly looking at the art style to be honest after I'd enquired about it last week) and it all started to click into place. 'Malone' calming everyone down and playing peace keeper was very unexpected but very welcome. Looking forward to the next part. Also, Mr Burns does seem to use that shift in style in certain panels quite often, usually to show the darker or shaded panels so apologies to him.

And the finale of Stickleback. Now this was all about continuity, never mind Dredd! I'm adding all previous Stickleback to my 'Find and Read' list. There have been some really great moments dotted around the series but without knowing the background I've struggled to get into it. Ah well.

On a similar note (thanks again to Tharg and the shop-droids) I am completely up to date on Defoe (loved every panel of it) and am about to fly through prog 1836 with no continuity worries at all. Doing it right.

Large48

Albion, yes saw it at last, tend to buy the Prog on a Sat, kind of ironic as I don't drink...........  :o
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Apestrife

Quote from: Recrewt on 06 June, 2013, 02:03:03 PM
The whole continuity issue is more noticeable in the prog and meg at the moment due to the fallout from DoC - certainly the last three Dredd stories in the prog have all been tied to it, so any new reader jumping on board right now is going to wonder what's going on.

America, Origins, Tour of Duty (Backslash & Mega City Justice) and Day of Chaos (Fourth faction & End game) can't be recommended enough  :)

Also. IDW will also start publishing a re-coloured Bloc Mania and Apocalypse War (The events that lead into DoC.) in July. I'm really thrilled for that one, especially if this one http://www.comixology.com/Judge-Dredd-FCBD-Special/digital-comic/DIG004604 is an indication of the quality of it.

Mabs

I've been really busy the past few weeks and haven't had time to comment on the last few Progs. Hopefully I'll rectify that, but i'll start with my most recent read.

The black and white cover for this Prog (by D'Israeli) is okay but not exactly to my liking if i'm honest. Which is a shame as his covers last year for Dirty Frank were some of the best. Is it the lack of colour? It could be. It's not as eye catching as the preceding Progs.

Judge Dredd - The Forsaken Part Six

The conclusion to Mike Carroll's six parter is well done. I haven't entirely taken to this new story but it wasn't without its moments, especially where the flashback scenes were concerned. It helped to bring the young Cadets' traumatic story to life. The last panel was very poignant, showing a picture of the Cadets in more happier times. The artwork throughout the run by P.J Holden was superb, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cadet Anderson - One In Ten Part Three

I was really looking forward to the start of this new strip, but after the opening, my interest in it has started to wane a bit. Having said that the last page was a hoot, not to mention a little unsettling. Carlos Ezquerra's artwork is great as always. I hope the story picks up in the next Prog.

Sinister Dexter - Witless Protection Part Four

Wow are we really up to part four right now? I really wouldn't have noticed because I'm really enjoying this strip. It's cracking along at a nice pace and John Burns' artwork is beautifully rendered. Almost in dreamy noir like fashion. The strip reminds me of all the great crime and film noir movies of the past, no doubt by the setting and whole feel of the world. The fact we do not see any indication to show we are on another planet, adds to the mystery in my view. When I read the opening two episodes I was thinking I had seen this sort of world somewhere before, where everything is at once recognisable and yet alien at the same time. I figured it out later on that it was Alex Proyas' Dark City which this strip had evoked in me. Although I have to say Dark City is a bit more, well darker than here, but the fascination for me is still the same. Maybe later on in the strip we can have something happen to indicate we are on another planet, I think that would be a nice touch. But other than that, I really enjoyed this weeks episode, although Sinister's persuasive heart melting plea to Frontal and his criminal chums was too straight forward for my liking. It would've been more interesting if a blood bath had ensued...or maybe not! But great stuff nonetheless.

Stickleback - Number of the Beast Part Twelve

So we come to the end of Stickleback...for now. And a nice double length conclusion too leaving the door open for more nefarious shenanigans from the pope of crime, although this series it felt he was less a pope and more a puppet with other powers more greater than our protagonist, controlling things. It was a fun episode though, with some nice moments. Boy am I glad to see Bob back though, I was quite fond of him in the first two series, along with other members of Stickleback's original crew. Another refreshing aspect of this series was seeing Scarlett getting more screen, or should that be - panel time. This new series did try my patience at times, there was a moment I think 2/3 of the way through where I started losing interest. But it was the meeting of the Rat Queen in the bowels of London, which got me back on track. I feel it would read much better in one long reading, than in instalments. And I must say the last page was outstanding. Great stuff indeed, I hope to see D'Israeli back soon, and maybe tackling a different story this time. Same goes for Ian Edginton, Brass Sun cannot come earlier for me! I see some exciting stuff coming our way in the foreseeable future.

So overall, an enjoyable Prog. Stickleback and Sinister Dexter being the standout for me.

4/5
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie