Main Menu

Prog 1836 - The Damned

Started by JamesC, 08 June, 2013, 10:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

No. It's the aristocrats. Blame Mrs. Strepsil.

oshii

I am quite ludicrously excited by the back inside cover.   

Proudhuff

A really wonderful cover, great design and layout.

Dredd: Another fine story and the misery just piles up, Dredd looks a wee bit young in this, but the action and art are top notch.

The Four Marys: a cadet who tops himself goes on the wall? hmmmm. All filler no killer

Defoe; Great start, Defoe's backstory fine artwork too.

Sindex; read this in a Quentin Crisp voice, worked nicely

Wastelands: aghhhh this has sooo much promise... not really liking that Joey Ramone look for Dredd's body, but that is a fine cityscape

DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Fargo should have kept it in his genes. 

coastguardjackuk

Was a tad disappointed by the cover but I soon got over that. Problem is Tharg set the bar so high with the cover with Titus being attacked by the reek children (can't remember the prog number) a couple of years back that I judge all Defoe covers by that, one of my favourite covers ever.
Dredd is excellent, Hairsine's art superb and the reveal in the last couple of panels is fascinating and very exciting.
Cass is great, how hot does she look in her blue PJs though poor taste really considering the shocking events this week
Great to have Defoe back. Can't get enough and can't wait for the real action to start. Another strip that like Slaine, really benefits from Pat Mills' sense of humour.
Sinister Dexter: Excellent as always, great getting Burns on board.
Terror Tales was alright. Nice to see Bob Dylan get a mention in the Prog of course.
The Wastelands teaser is fantastic and very exciting. All in all, for me this is the best Prog possibly this year. I just don't go for Zombo or Stickleback and when they're taking up half the Prog it's a bit much for me.
Building up a nice crust since 1969...

Fisticuffs

Cracking prog, Dredd easily the highlight, loved the art and especially the SJS Lawmasters.

Not read Defoe before, and this was a nice little teasing intro for a new reader, looking forward to the next one.

Sinister Dexter was great, it read really well despite the heavy dialogue.

Agree that Cadet Anderson was the runt of the litter, not a fan of Ezquerras art and the story is a little drawn out and shallow at the moment.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 11 June, 2013, 03:17:17 PM
especially the SJS Lawmasters.

Yes, Judge Whittle is gorra love tham  :D
DDT did a job on me

Zarjazzer

A day off means sunny prog times at Zarjazzer Towers. Ace cover and excellent Dredd setting up a new storyline,amusing and well done death tape tale and Anderson was very good as well.  The absolute top notch was Defoe that creepy b&w art just wins.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Pop Culture Bandit

Judge Dredd - The welcome return of Trevor Hairsine (let's not leave it quite so long next time, Trevor!) and a nice little 'done-in-one' tale which seems to have some nice foreshadowing at the end.

Sinister/Dexter - It's nice to see Sinister relying on his wits and feeling vulnerable, showcasing a different side to the character than the cocky, invincible Irish gun-shark. I enjoyed the narration device of having Sinister talk to himself, but it may lead to long-term troubles if he is beginning to lose his grip on reality.

Cadet Anderson - The Cadets continue to deal with the trauma of their current case in different ways. One of them suffers from powerful nightmares and another [spoiler]turns to suicide[/spoiler]. I wonder if the dream sequence will have some relevance later on, otherwise it does feel a bit like filler.

Defoe - Really liked this - the art was fantastic and it is taking time to delve into the history of the lead character, making it ideal for a new reader. I love the look and feel of this story already and cannot wait to read more!

Terror Tale: The Death Magnetic - Like some of the others on the board, I recognised that the twist would be related to the [spoiler]four methods of death that the lead singer suffered[/spoiler], but I didn't quite catch on until the [spoiler]second death[/spoiler], not linking the [spoiler]strangulation to the auto-erotic asphyxiation[/spoiler] mentioned in the narration. It felt a bit rushed at the end, with the fairly odd leap of faith of the lead character [spoiler]to burn himself to death[/spoiler], but I guess that's down to the restrictive length of these stories.

For a more detailed review, check out my blog - http://popculturebandit.blogspot.com/2013/06/2000ad-prog-1836.html

Mister Macheath

That was a pretty neat Dredd, the art being the bestest thing about it. That grisly panel on the first page particularly jumped out. Ooh and next week's looks AWESOME.

Cadet Anderson had a fun trippy start but felt a wee bit filler-ish. Still, I really like this strip. Although the plot might be moving slowly there is plenty of action going on, and it is good 'n' grisly.

My first experience with Defoe - anybody fancy giving me a quick recap of things I oughtta know? This played out like an origin (with totally badass art), something I thought would've already happened in an ongoing strip? Maybe I'm missing something.

The Terror Tale had a list as long as my arm of things I should like - goofy Outer Limits plot, grisly deaths and RAWK REFERENCES but it somehow fell a bit flat for me. Maybe it was because you sorta knew how it would play out within the first couple of panels, and I too expected a twist on the twist. Still, not bad.

Good prog.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mister Macheath on 12 June, 2013, 01:06:42 PM
My first experience with Defoe - anybody fancy giving me a quick recap of things I oughtta know?

Wel, being as concise a s I can...

In 1666 a comet passed over the South-East of England, starting the Great Fire of London and re-animating the dead. Three years later Titus Defoe is the Zombie Hunter General, hunting down the 'reeks' with his misfit band of zombie-slayers and either putting them back into their graves or rounding them up for transportation to the colonies as slave labour.

Currently he and his band, together with numerous civilians, Prine Rupert of the Rhine, John Milton and Issac Newton, are besieged by a zombie army in the Tower of London. Their leader is an undead former member of Defoe's band, the Spiriter, while the architect of the undead uprising, Johann Faust, looks on from afar and plots Defoe's downfall...
@jamesfeistdraws

Mister Macheath

Oh I left out Sin/Dex... Still really enjoying this although there seems to be a shift from exposition-heavy-jumping-on-point to something a bit more continuity heavy but sure, them's the breaks! Really like the writing, really love the art, looking forward to more.

Macheath out.

Mister Macheath

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 June, 2013, 01:24:03 PM
Quote from: Mister Macheath on 12 June, 2013, 01:06:42 PM
My first experience with Defoe - anybody fancy giving me a quick recap of things I oughtta know?

Wel, being as concise a s I can...

In 1666 a comet passed over the South-East of England, starting the Great Fire of London and re-animating the dead. Three years later Titus Defoe is the Zombie Hunter General, hunting down the 'reeks' with his misfit band of zombie-slayers and either putting them back into their graves or rounding them up for transportation to the colonies as slave labour.

Currently he and his band, together with numerous civilians, Prine Rupert of the Rhine, John Milton and Issac Newton, are besieged by a zombie army in the Tower of London. Their leader is an undead former member of Defoe's band, the Spiriter, while the architect of the undead uprising, Johann Faust, looks on from afar and plots Defoe's downfall...

Thanks awfully, exactly what I was after. And that sounds rad.

James Stacey

Pat Mills probably should have used an episode or 3 reminding people of the backstory. He could have enumerated the members of Defoes team, maybe giving them a panel each introduction.

Ghastly McNasty

Having only been reading the prog for about a year I had yet to read any Defoe. After that gorgeous start to the new run I'm now off to the 2000AD shop to purchase Queen of the Zombies and 1666. Looks right up my street.

Dredd was also awesome this week.