Main Menu

Prog 1836 - The Damned

Started by JamesC, 08 June, 2013, 10:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Defoe looks promising. Anderson...exists. Dredd was steller, wonderful stuff. Sin/Dex is meh. Nice filler piece from the Terror Tale. Good art.

sheldipez

Dredd - I like Dredd best when there's stuff exploding, especially when pulled off by an artist who makes it feel like I'm watching an action movie.
Anderson - This would be so much better visually if it was done in old school grayscale, especially considering time period it's set. Otherwise I like it, reminds me that I need to pick up the 2nd Anderson Case Files.
Defoe - I've no idea what is going on in the bigger picture (my first Defoe outing) but it was stunning stuff.
Sin/Dex - Some cracking dialogue with art to match.
Terror Tale - Good stuff - everything that a one-shot tale should be.

One of my favorite progs of late.

Dan Banks

A lot has already been covered in this thread already so I'll just say that Defoe was absolutely outstanding. Absolutely love it.

Dan Banks

Already already already. Urgh.

Mabs

Quote from: Dan Banks on 15 June, 2013, 10:53:34 AM
Already already already. Urgh.

Don't worry mate, I'm also prone to repeating a word also more than a few times also!    :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dan Banks

Just noticed that I used absolutely twice as well. It's too early on a saturday morning to really flex the vocabulary. That's my excuse anyway.

staticgirl

My annoying word is 'lovely' at the moment. That Defoe art was lovely exciting!

Montynero

What an outstanding cover! I mean, seriously, it has everything: iconic, bold, eyecatching, disturbing, clever, wonderfully rendered. Wow! (The pale blue colour on the logo added a lot too)

Dredd's great. I've been enjoying these one off stories more than ever lately, they all seem to say something new or interesting about Joe or the city.

Anderson was the best episode yet, with some very effective storytelling. No surprise from Grant and Ezquerra. I found Calvi's suicide quite upsetting: it felt real in a way the actions of comic book characters often don't. Spoke volumes about the city, and the job.

And then Defoe. Christ! It speaks volumes that seeing this before doesn't diminish its impact in the prog. It's got to be one of the greatest centre spreads ever! The drip-drip horror of zombie imagery as they stagger toward the castle is insidiously unsettling. And that panoramic widescreen is mindblowing and macabre. True Thrill power unleashed.

In the spirit of a crit, I've got to highlight the last panel though. Had the zombies (I presume) in the well loomed out on the last panel and attacked I don't think anyone would be complaining about not much happening. The episode would have had everything. I guess it's a prioritisation of graphic novel storytelling over episodic storytelling. Fair play to Pat Mills, the man's a genius and he can pace his stories however he wants - but to me the weekly breaks between each prog are integral to the reading experience. By which I mean I'd like rhythm of the story to reflect the break, with a shock or a cliffhanger or a dramatic moment at the end of every episode.

Sinister Dexter is really good fun, again, with Dan Abnett effortlessly demonstrating how to write comics with wit and intelligence.

And the Terror Tale was good, if not as enchanting and wonderful as Ghostship Mathematica. I adore Wlll Morris's art (you can buy his GN here http://www.blankslatebooks.co.uk/our-books/the-silver-darlings/) and David Bailie's a real talent. Can't wait to see what they both do next.

Spikes

Great prog, this/last week.
Reading it seems to take 5 seconds, but its all good. Great to see Mr Hairsine art again, and how its changed since i last read any of his Dredd's. Not a bad little story, but that whole " Dredd, your to blame..." doesnt do it for me, either. A bit of a slight switch-off moment when i see that cropping up.
Sin Dex was brilliant this week. The best strip, i thought. Liked the Terror Tale, and the art, a lot.
Cadet Anderson, while not totally essential stuff, is still playing out nicely.
And Defoe.....
Never come across the strip before, so ill reserve my judgement, til i can get a better handle on it.

But yes, a great prog, all told. More please!