Main Menu

Star Trek - Official Starships Collection

Started by Recrewt, 22 August, 2013, 03:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recrewt

Anyone else noticed this being advertised recently?  I figure that there must be a few Trek fans on this board.

"This incredible new fortnightly collection of STAR TREK models includes all the most significant ships
from the five STAR TREK television series. Every ship has been painstakingly recreated in die-cast
and high quality ABS materials then hand painted with an incredible level of detail."

Anyone seen these in the shops yet?  Apparantly it's one a fortnight and the first was is £1.99, then its £9.99 each after that.  First one comes with USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D), which I'm sure I don't need to tell you is from the Next Generation series.  If it's not too bad, then I might get this one at least.  Issue 2 has the classic USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) from the original series - that's the one I would really want, why can't that be £1.99?  >:(

http://www.startrek-starships.com/eng/index.asp

sheldipez

My local newsagents had one left when I popped in for the prog yesterday, looked nice rendition of the D. Not quite sure what you're supposed to do with them when you've got to the end and got hundreds of the buggers.

strontium71

You get yourself a large square box and recreate the battle of Wolf 359  :)
...because I hate you.

Tombo

I bought issue one yesterday.  It's actually a pretty good model, fairly solid and with a stable base.  The magazine is a bit thin and doesn't really add anything that any half-loyal trekkie wouldn't already know (except maybe some of the pre-production sketches) but I'd say the quality of the models makes up for it.

They're a bit cheeky though, they're mixing in the really popular ships with lesser known one so you have to collect the lot to get your favourites, The Enterprise-E is about halfway through and the original NCC-1701 is right at the end.  I'll probably end up buying them though.

O Lucky Stevie!

Is it just Stevie or did the starships become less elegant & uglier & uglier with each new iteration of the franchise?

Best be getting the coat then.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 23 August, 2013, 04:49:41 AM
Is it just Stevie or did the starships become less elegant & uglier & uglier with each new iteration of the franchise?

There's an argument that the ship in STI-STIII is still pretty gorgeous (as are the Gagarin ,the Reliant and the Vulcan warp-shuttle from same, though not the Excelsior), but every time I pop in an original series DVD I agree with Stevie.  You can't beat the original designs.

Tiplodocus

QuoteThe ship in STI-STIII is still pretty gorgeous

Still my favourite of the lot.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 August, 2013, 09:07:33 AM

Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise is still my favourite piece of nerd-tat.  A bulkhead-by-bulkhead blueprint-style breakdown of the 'refitted' (ahem) Enterprise, based heavily on the set and prop designs for ST I-III.  It's simply beautiful, and laughs in the face of subsequent 'technical guides' and part works.

The bizarre thing is that I can't stand the superficially identical Enterprise-A of STIV-VI.  Ugly piece of crap.

shaolin_monkey

A decent model of Picard's Enterprise including a stand for £1.99 was a no-brainer for me.  Instabuy!

von Boom

If the scale is right I'd buy enough to create a fleet for my Star Fleet Battles games. Now if they'd only do the same with the Kzinti, Klingon and Romulan ships.

WoD

They will vary from 120-140 mm in length...

Tombo

Quote from: WoD on 23 August, 2013, 12:49:18 PM
They will vary from 120-140 mm in length...

What WoD said.  There's a picture in the magazine which shows just how big the Enterprise-D is compared to the NX-01 Enterprise.  If they were all to scale then the model for the NX-01 (not to mention the Defiant and Klingon Bird-of-Prey) would be tiny alongside the later Enterprises or the Romulan Warbird.

Recrewt

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 August, 2013, 09:07:33 AM

Yup, and after stating incorrectly in the opening post that issue 2 of this series was the 1701 from the original series, its actually the 2271 refit from STI-III! 

This is the one I like the look of myself and if I'm correct in thinking that the Klingon Bird of Prey in issue 3 is the same as from STIII then I might just make do with them.

TordelBack

Right, I'll be having some of that then.  I've yet to lay my hands on a decent small model of the Enterprise/Constitution Mk II class, and I've always been partial to the rather timeless awkwardness of the 1701-D too which still looks way more futuristic than say Voyager, the Runabouts or the Enterprise-E or that thing in the reboot. 

Mabs

I picked my one up today!  :-)

Looks fantastic by the way, I don't know about the next issue/model though. Might be too pricey for me.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie