Main Menu

What makes a geek?

Started by pictsy, 13 October, 2013, 10:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

I often consider myself a geek.  I have a bustling 2000AD collection and the first three volumes of the Megazine (minus 10 issues).  I like to play video games. I love reading Terry Pratchett and Isaac Asimov.  I watch countless sci-fi/fantasy films and tv programmes.  I have been a fan of anime since the days when Manga Entertainment were pretty much the only distributor and we all went around calling it Manga because of that.

Nevertheless, there is so much of geekdom that really doesn't interest me.  Looking at some discussions on the boards here that becomes even more apparent to me.  I could consider myself a connoisseur of geekyness (if I'm being especially egotistical) or I could be more of a casual geek.  It might be because I've never had much in the way of finances to fund and fully explore my inner geek.

What makes a geek, then?  Do you consider yourself a geek?  Do you think being a geek has been ruined by geek chic?   

Greg M.

TordelBack

Reject labels, embrace your interests as you would a lover, be they sacred or profane.

The Adventurer

What makes a Geek? Enjoying the taste of bat heads.

But seriously anyone who indulges (or rather OVERindulges) in some kind of esoteric hobby is pretty much a geek.

All those guys obsessing over sports stats/history? Geeks.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Frank

Listen to any ostensibly normal folks discuss subjects such as football, TV soaps or designer labels and marvel at the way their obsessive, slavish and densely particular knowledge of their subject makes knowing to which species Darth Maul belonged seem like general knowledge. Either everyone's a geek, or there are no geeks - only officially designated geeky areas of interest.

JudgeGerry

Growing up the 70(s) reading comics was seen as cool, thesedays most people play PS3/Xbox are seen as normal but anyone who likes SciFi TV, Movies and Comics are seen as a Geek  :geek:

Guilty as charged, I am a confirmed Geek. I have followed my footie home and away including Europe, most likewise mates consider themselves footie fanatics but they could be deems as Geeks too  :cool:

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The smell is usually a dead giveaway...
You may quote me on that.

Bat King

Quote from: The Adventurer on 13 October, 2013, 10:38:37 AM
What makes a Geek? Enjoying the taste of bat heads.

But seriously anyone who indulges (or rather OVERindulges) in some kind of esoteric hobby is pretty much a geek.

All those guys obsessing over sports stats/history? Geeks.

The Adventurer has it nailed. Anyone that over indulges in something can be classed a Geek. Whether it is Comics, Films, TV Series, Football Stats, Home Furnishings, WWII, Butterflies...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

I, Cosh

It's pretty simple really. If there's a spreadsheet involved, you're a geek.
We never really die.

Proteus4

Quote from: pictsy on 13 October, 2013, 10:29:19 AM
I often consider myself a geek.  I have a bustling 2000AD collection and the first three volumes of the Megazine (minus 10 issues).  I like to play video games. I love reading Terry Pratchett and Isaac Asimov.  I watch countless sci-fi/fantasy films and tv programmes.  I have been a fan of anime since the days when Manga Entertainment were pretty much the only distributor and we all went around calling it Manga because of that.

What?  It's not called Manga, anymore?  Now i feel like a dinosaur.

Cheers
Dave.
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

The Adventurer

You actually called Anime manga?

Yeesh, that's worse then calling it 'Japanimations'![/geek]

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

pictsy

It gets me all nostalgic when I think of the Manga days.  I remember the excitement of seeing the Ghost in the Shell trailer on my VHS copy of Street Fighter II the Movie.  It looked really cool and interesting.  Then I managed to get a copy of it and I was blown away.  The boat scene with the haunting music is still, to this day, one of my favourite scenes in any movie and certainly the most evocative for me.

There's a scene in Patlabor that comes close to achieving the same effect for me when the two detectives are searching the hovels across Tokyo.  A little montage with a lovely soundtrack.  It was only later I discovered it was the same director and he has these scenes in all the films of his I have seen.  GitS is my favourite one, though.

OK, I'm done gushing.

pictsy

Quote from: The Adventurer on 13 October, 2013, 09:56:19 PM
You actually called Anime manga?

Yeesh, that's worse then calling it 'Japanimations'![/geek]

Yes, we are silly old fuddy-duddies.

Proteus4

seeing as it's likely that geeks galore will look at this thread, what are the main manga/japanimations/anime movies that i should have seen.

Much to my chagrin, i've only ever seen Akira and Vampire Hunter D!!!  :-[

what are the essential ones?

Ooh, and while im here, are there any movies that are entirely like the anime part of kill bill?  that was awesome (i might get shouted at right now, mightn't I!!)

Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.