Main Menu

Anyone read any comics through Kindle app on a tablet? RE: low quality

Started by sheldipez, 03 February, 2014, 10:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldipez

I picked up Suicide Squad Vol. 1: Kicked in the Teeth (New 52) which is currently 49p just to see how comics read on the Kindle app on my 10" tablet, I usually use ComiXology or ComicRack (for non-DRM'd .cbr comics), and the quality is really low-res. The text is quite blury, the line work in the art and colours look over-compressed and I can't seem to find any option in the Kindle app to download a higher res version so was wondering if anyone one else has had experience, if it's isolated to this trade or whether this is what kindle comics are like.

The front cover of when it's in your library looks quite hi-res but goes downhill from their when you click into it, cant see options in settings to change it  :(

The Adventurer

Its my experience that many Kindle comics are optimized for the Kindle Fire, and its generally smaller screen size then other popular tablets. I downloaded a few DC collection previews (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and a few others) to my iPad and was quite dismayed to find them rather sub par it quality. Low res, huge white margins, etc... Truth be told 2000 AD trades, or at least early ones I looked at, suffered the same thing.

That said I have bought a few recent Manga collections thought Kindle (specifically Vinland Saga from Kodansha). And it looked damn spiffy.

So, I think it just varies. Preview them before you buy is my only advice.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

sheldipez

Cheers Adventurer, had another go last night and the quality is too bad for me to read it through, though there is a panel zoom it is 1) rubbish and 2) makes things less blury but only zooms in to highlight how low res it is. Removed and un-installed the app.  :'(