Main Menu

Hogan and Parkhouse's Resident Alien to become a telly show?

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 March, 2015, 04:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

The trailer is here and it makes this look a bit one trick. Wacky alien does weird thing. Surly cop. Murder joins them as the oddest of couples

https://youtu.be/_7niFpwxq4A

We'll see how it pans out in reality. Be a shame if they missed the calm patience of the comic.

IndigoPrime

If that's the same trailer, I'll stick with my comments from October: I can't see how the lead can recover from the events within in any meaningful manner. The weird thing with all of this is I'd assumed Tudyk's casting meant the show would be dumbed down some and many more zany/funny. I didn't think they were going to immediately head for brutal and irredeemable. But, hey, Americans.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 December, 2020, 01:09:23 PM
If that's the same trailer, I'll stick with my comments from October: I can't see how the lead can recover from the events within in any meaningful manner. The weird thing with all of this is I'd assumed Tudyk's casting meant the show would be dumbed down some and many more zany/funny. I didn't think they were going to immediately head for brutal and irredeemable. But, hey, Americans.

Its a new one I think (new to me for sure) and skips the whole brutal murder thing - well by our alien at least - and seems to go full on fish out of water.

IndigoPrime

I hope the final edit skips that bit too. If not: urgh.

skurvy

I watched the first episode of this last night (on Now tv) and really liked it.

I haven't read the comic so don't know how it compares to that but I'll be watching episode 2 for sure.

Colin YNWA

Good to hear - be interesting to what folks who have read the comic think of it in comparison.

broodblik

Watched the first episode and was pleasantly surprised.  It felt very true to the series created by Hogan and Parkhouse. I will keep watching this. So for me it is thumbs up.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

I might give it a go but the trailer was so far from the original in tone and feel that it didn't sit at all right with me. The series would have to be radically different somehow.

von Boom

I've never read the comic so I can't judge there but I have mixed feelings after the first episode. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to like Harry or not. I like Alan Tudyk and he seems to be playing the part well but [spoiler]it's hard to feel sympathy for an alien whose first act is to murder someone and take their identity.[/spoiler]

IndigoPrime

von Boom: That incident doesn't happen in the comic, and is the bit of the trailer that made me immediately realise that, at the very least, this series would be a world away from the original. I suspect it [spoiler]would be a lot goofier, given the lead, but I wasn't expecting it to be mean-spirited, which is the last thing the gentle, thoughtful comic is[/spoiler]. From the trailer, it feels like a property that's been 'Americanized' in entirely unimaginative ways. Still, the comics are still on the shelf, and I hold out a little hope Dark Horse might release them in HC one day (rather than just SC omnis).

broodblik

That is one of the changes related to the comic, how he got to be the doctor. But I still feel that it is not always needed to follow the source material 100%. I enjoyed the first episode and I liked the humour on our Resident Alien discovers his humanity.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

shaolin_monkey

Never read the comics. The TV show was dumb fun - made me laugh. Will watch again.

IndigoPrime

The comics are great. Well worth picking them up. They're not dumb fun, though—more quiet and intriguing storytelling.

BPP

Have watched the first two and regardless of fidelity to the source material (there isn't much) the main issue is that the show is all over the place tonally  One minute it's doing a scene from A Disney pre-teen kids show (the stitches scene) the next it's doing jokes about vaginal selfies and sucking a cow [spoiler]as if it was a dick[/spoiler].

It's a very weird watch.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Professor Bear

I have no idea what the comic is/was like, but the show is a diverting take on the concept of "what if Americans ruined Doomlord by turning it into yet another buddy-cop murder mystery with a mismatched odd couple?"  Some amusing jokes, but it looks like it's going for the serialised approach rather than the murder-of-the-week route, which usually happens in the second season of SyFy shows and kills them stone dead - looking at you, Killjoys and Dark Matter.
I guess we'll see how it pans out, but the accusations of tonal inconsistency and lack of a clear protagonist to root for are entirely valid.