Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Monarch on 02 May, 2022, 06:57:07 PM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 02 May, 2022, 01:20:16 PM
It looks increasingly like 'Stickleback' and 'The Order' will not get second books. Much to my chagrin.

the original books were literally complete at the time there was no chance of getting a second book of them

Not Stickleback - like Kingdom, there were two books left uncollected (Stickleback is now three).
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 02 May, 2022, 07:05:47 PM
Quote from: The Monarch on 02 May, 2022, 06:57:07 PM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 02 May, 2022, 01:20:16 PM
It looks increasingly like 'Stickleback' and 'The Order' will not get second books. Much to my chagrin.

the original books were literally complete at the time there was no chance of getting a second book of them

Not Stickleback - like Kingdom, there were two books left uncollected (Stickleback is now three).

Giving it the perfect page count for another volume.

Leigh S

Do we know when the next Stront Dogs books is due?

sintec

Quote from: Leigh S on 02 May, 2022, 07:55:19 PM
Do we know when the next Stront Dogs books is due?

Someone asked this on FB and they said

Quotevolume 3 of Strontium Dogs will be released towards the end of the collection.

abelardsnazz

Interesting to note that even Tharg doesn't know who A Ridgeway, credited with writing the last runs of Mean Arena, is - anyone on here got any ideas?

sintec

Wondering if one volume will be enough to bring us right up to date with Fall Of Deadworld. Think it should just about squeeze into the page count. Really hope we do get all the Visions of Deadworld, those were some of my favourite strips last year.

Jade Falcon

I got around to reading Mean Arena book 2.

While it's readable, I feel it's very much a product of its time.  It was kinda obvious who the last two members of the syndicate were, especially one of them when you saw silouhettes. The ending was kinda unsatisying and rather abrupt.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tomontherun94

Quote from: sintec on 08 May, 2022, 11:43:30 AM
Wondering if one volume will be enough to bring us right up to date with Fall Of Deadworld. Think it should just about squeeze into the page count. Really hope we do get all the Visions of Deadworld, those were some of my favourite strips last year.
My copies arrived today. Deadworld includes everything except the most recent FoD and Visions stories, Jessica and Transpolar.

Tomwe

So who's the blue dog faced character and the lady with a quilted jacket?

Dark Jimbo

Think that's Wren from Brass Sun.
@jamesfeistdraws

Swerty

Quote from: Tomontherun94 on 14 May, 2022, 11:24:37 AM
Quote from: sintec on 08 May, 2022, 11:43:30 AM
My copies arrived today. Deadworld includes everything except the most recent FoD and Visions stories, Jessica and Transpolar.

Certainly will be picking this up.Maybe another announcement soon keep an eye on their web page

sintec

Anyone know if either of those in the 3rd Deadworld HC?
I'm hoping I'll be able to continue with book 4 without missing too much.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sintec on 14 May, 2022, 05:37:02 PM

The 3 hardcovers contain everything published in the prog so far.
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 14 May, 2022, 10:09:50 PM
Quote from: sintec on 14 May, 2022, 05:37:02 PM

The 3 hardcovers contain everything published in the prog so far.

Damn so that'll end up being ~18 pages of the strip I'll end up missing.That's annoying. Not sure I care enough to spend £20 to fill the gap though. I've got the digital progs if I want to reread them.

sintec

Finished Mean Arena the second half definitely gets weirder, not sure that's really to it's benefit though. The introduction of more guns and odd scoring conditions just muddies the sport side of the strip. From the sudden wrap up I'm guessing editorial came to a similar conclusion.

Slaughterbowl is at least good OTT fun, it's basically Mario Kart meets Death Race 2000 with dinosaurs (what's not to like). The garish dayglo colour pallete perfectly suits it and it's short enough to not outstay it's welcome.

The In Detail section at the back then spends most of it's 8 pages talking about Harlem Heroes with just a couple of paragraphs at the end mentioning the strips we've just read. Can't help feeling we'd have been better served with 2 books of HH rather than Mean Arena. Looking at Barney the page counts are about the same (HH+Inferno is 295 to Mean's 288) so I'm not sure why they decided to go this way. This has been the weakest thrill of the whole UC imo and book 1 is probable the least likely vol of the UC to ever get a re-read (I might pick up 2 to read Slaughterbowl again someday).