Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sintec

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 13 March, 2021, 01:01:42 PM
So does anyone have anything to say about the VC's book.  I was honestly surprised that it had part of the Dan Abnett second run in it, I was expecting only the original series.

The original series would have been a fairly short book for Hachette it's only 129 pages of strip.  Plus I think the Abnett run would have been slightly too long to fit into a single volume, it's 271 pages of strip according to Barney. Splitting it like this should mean we're getting a complete run

I'm really looking forward to this one - have heard good things from an old friend who is a long term squaxx. Also really excited for the first book of Indigo Prime - it's going to be a veritable thrill power overload this month I feel.

Bolt-01

I've finally gotten round to reading DURHAM RED - THE SCARLET CANTOS, as I'm just cherry picking.

What a volume! I'd not read these for many, many years and never collected so it was a real treat to find I enjoyed the volume as much as I wanted to.

Yes, Harrison completely overdid it on the art front and was in real danger of rendering the first volume unreadable, but they manage to pull it off. Each story gets better and more focused. When the S/D weapon references emerge in the Empty Suns I uttered a cry of joy.

This was a fantastic volume and the only way they could have topped it would have been to include the Scarlet Apocrypha series from the Meg.

And then to tie it in to the recent run, Alec Worley gets to write an article about the genesis of the strips we've just read.

One Happy Squaxx.

IndigoPrime

How much Worley Red have we had now? I'm wondering if there might be any chance of that rocking up at some point.

Bolt-01

Oh, I think it will for sure, but maybe not just yet. I'm thinking Alec might be building individual stories into something larger -- something we can all get our teeth into. (Sorry/NotSorry)

It would be nice for Ben to draw it all as well -- there is a lot of work in these strips so to have a single artist volume would be most welcome.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 March, 2021, 04:40:38 PM
How much Worley Red have we had now? I'm wondering if there might be any chance of that rocking up at some point.

Not really as much as you'd think. It's down on the schedule as one of this year's digital releases, though.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Monarch

as we all guessed indigo prime is the entirety of the original gn plus dead eyes its so nice to have it in hard cover

what was a surprise is they included a change of scenery so this is more complete than the original gn

sintec

Quote from: The Monarch on 18 March, 2021, 06:28:29 PM
what was a surprise is they included a change of scenery so this is more complete than the original gn

That is a surprise - wasn't that already included in the All Star Future Shocks volume?

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Monarch on 18 March, 2021, 06:28:29 PM
Thought we knew that from the artist credits but great to have it confirmed. Now I just need to find a way to get a copy smuggled out of that godforsaken island!
We never really die.

abelardsnazz

Indigo Prime volume 1 is a joy. I don't think I'd read The Issigri Variations since it was in the Prog, and can't remember what I made of it back then - I may even have skipped it. But now it's absolutely brilliant. Killing Time is magnificent, and Dead Eyes would be a great conspiracy thriller on its own without the final twist.

Bad Andy

I took a subs holiday from Hachette last year, but it seems it has just kicked in again as I've just had The Guv'Nor and 10 seconders American Dream through the post

credo

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 21 March, 2021, 06:19:00 PM
Indigo Prime volume 1 is a joy. I don't think I'd read The Issigri Variations since it was in the Prog, and can't remember what I made of it back then - I may even have skipped it. But now it's absolutely brilliant. Killing Time is magnificent, and Dead Eyes would be a great conspiracy thriller on its own without the final twist.

It is really great. I had completely forgotten that the Fervent and Lobe stuff was already reprinted in the Rebellion collection. Great to have everything in the Hachette collection and looking forward Vol 2 (even more so the promise of Tyranny Rex in the foreword).

The Ultimate Collection version of Issigri Variations does miss out the 'Next Prog' captions though, which were all taken from the names of Sonic Youth songs!

Tomontherun94

I know there's a lot of veterans on this forum but most of the stuff in this collection is new to me. Have there been any arcs/series that have been hyped up but disappoint either on a first read or reread? I'm up to Vol 4 of ABC Warriors and I gotta say it's really not doing anything for me.

The earlier arcs are fine, if standard, early 2000AD and The Black Hole was fun but after that it just feels like kind of a slog. Is there something I'm missing here or is it just cos I wasn't there at the time and didn't have to experience the pain of waiting like 5 years between arcs? Artwork is consistently fantastic though

broodblik

Unfortunately the recipe for ABC Warrios has been the same even the latest series feels like a rehash and retelling of the same story and theme. The Volgan War (art by Clint Langley - his art is excellent and works brilliantly) was actually good and felt a little bit more fresh
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

credo

Quote from: Tomontherun94 on 24 March, 2021, 09:52:22 AM
I know there's a lot of veterans on this forum but most of the stuff in this collection is new to me. Have there been any arcs/series that have been hyped up but disappoint either on a first read or reread? I'm up to Vol 4 of ABC Warriors and I gotta say it's really not doing anything for me.

The earlier arcs are fine, if standard, early 2000AD and The Black Hole was fun but after that it just feels like kind of a slog. Is there something I'm missing here or is it just cos I wasn't there at the time and didn't have to experience the pain of waiting like 5 years between arcs? Artwork is consistently fantastic though

I think your mileage for ABC Warriors likely depends on your nostalgia for those early series (and Nemesis). For my money, everything from the first ABC Warriors, through Nemesis 4-6 and Black Hole is great (plus the final two Ro-Busters stories). Even some of that may depend on you having been the right age at the right time though (I can't say for certain that my love of The Terrameks isn't simply because I read it as a kid).

Everything else after that is pretty inessential, although with great art. Khronicles of Khaos might be a good 'they could have just ended it here' point. The Deadlock solo series is very good, but more part of the overall Nemesis story than an ABC Warriors thing. Volgan War is also great, but very much a retread of old ground.

IndigoPrime

Let's get the gang together! > Evil corporation! > ABC Warriors squabble! > SHOCK BETRAYAL! > New member who may or may not stick around for a while! > The gang split! > Let's get the gang together! > Evil corporation! > ABC Warriors squabble! > SHOCK BETRAYAL! > New member who may or may not stick around for a while! > The gang split! > Let's get the gang together! > Evil corporation! > ABC Warriors squabble! > SHOCK BETRAYAL! > New member who may or may not stick around for a while! > The gang split! > Let's get the gang together! > Evil corporation! > ABC Warriors squabble! > SHOCK BETRAYAL! > New member who may or may not stick around for a while! > The gang split!

Forever and ever.

Incidentally, my subs copies arrived this week and the packaging has reverted to the one with protection on the ends. Here's hoping that sticks. I've been on about this to the Facebook lot for a few months now, noting that every single package was arriving with at least some damage (albeit minor), whereas the better packaging usually avoided that happening.