Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

Quote from: rogue69 on 16 December, 2022, 10:14:59 PM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 16 December, 2022, 06:54:28 PM
A couple of books with all the Movie Dredd would be very welcome!
What even the 1995 movie with artwork by Carlos

I was actually only thinking about the second Movie Dredd and all the follow-on stories which came from that.

Quotes fixed—IP

Bad Andy

I'm just reading through Strontium Dogs Vol 2.

Now I first started reading the progs in the last few episodes of the Final Solution, so Johnny's death meant absolutely nothing to me at the time. Subsequently I remember quite liking the Gronkinator stuff at the time.

BOY WAS I WRONG.

Maybe the art won me over. At least it's clear what is happening. 

The Monarch

i may be a bit biast because i was a sonic the comic lad but nigels art is the ONLY good thing about that run of strontium dogs

sintec

Quote from: Bad Andy on 20 December, 2022, 10:18:50 PM
I'm just reading through Strontium Dogs Vol 2.

Now I first started reading the progs in the last few episodes of the Final Solution, so Johnny's death meant absolutely nothing to me at the time. Subsequently I remember quite liking the Gronkinator stuff at the time.

BOY WAS I WRONG.

Maybe the art won me over. At least it's clear what is happening.

yeah definitely one of the books that the collection would have been better off without imo. Only reason to include it is completeness. I'm hoping vol 3 and the Middenface book are better.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Bad Andy on 20 December, 2022, 10:18:50 PMBOY WAS I WRONG.

Is that the story where it turns out [spoiler]Johnny Alpha was 'alive' in a cave all along, and Gronk has to shoot him? That really pissed me off. Awful plotting.[/spoiler]

Leigh S

Although he was takig his time about it, I was hoping that Peter Hogan would bring things back to a better place, what with re-0establishing the Stronts as Bounty Hunters - sadly, it was all too protracted then give the chop as part of a necessary dead wood clearing on the part of Dark Days Bish-Op. 

Whle a tiny bit of me wonders where it ws all going, a far bigger part of me thinks it was all for the best

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 December, 2022, 02:58:48 PM

Is that the story where it turns out [spoiler]Johnny Alpha was 'alive' in a cave all along, and Gronk has to shoot him? That really pissed me off. Awful plotting.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Johnny died with none of his longtime supporting cast around him; all in all it was a massive wasted oppurtunity. I totally understand Ennis, a genuine SD fan, wanting to write his own 'version' of Johnny's death, where the Gronk gets to say goodbye.[/spoiler]
@jamesfeistdraws

Leigh S

Yeah, I think Ennis's "version" is not quite as aggressively anger inducing in me as Grants in Final Solution.

If you are given the task of following on from FS, you are going to sturggle if you choose to engage with it

Wagner had exactly the same problem with Life and Death, with trying to unpick or make sense of the senselessness of Final Solution being a hiding to nothing

Bad Andy

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 December, 2022, 02:58:48 PM

That's the story afterwards.

Actually the story before, Monster, isn't totally terrible apart from a massive out of nowhere coincidence meeting in the penultimate chapter kind of undermining the otherwise half thoughtful storyline.

IndigoPrime

I didn't mind Monster. It was fine. I did mind [spoiler]Gronk finding Alpha, only for Alpha to be casually tossed away again and killed by a violent version of his friend. It just felt stupid. And while I get people's dislike of Final Solution, and would have preferred the comic not kill off its best character, the story itself worked fine for me, despite the weird and jarring switch in art styles – twice[/spoiler].

The Monarch

and now it doesn't matter at all since wagner ignored all that

IndigoPrime

"We do have plans for Scarlet Traces" is the most recent response. Oooh.

Hackenbush

Seriously considering switching to cherry picking now

I have almost everything that has been announced thus far ion the extension, and shelf space is an issue ...

leethomson

Received 137 & 138 this week. Don't know who decided to run the ends of Strontium Dogs and Finn back to back in the UC but it's hardly the most inspiring pairing, and the intros and extras are fairly apologetic and sound glad to see the backs of both of them. Less of this in the extension, please.

Royal Mail giving them a right sledgehammering didn't raise my levels of enthusiasm either.

michaelarby

Hi guys - long time lurker, first time poster. I've been collecting since Issue 1, will post thoughts later but for now, you guys might enjoy these:

I created a list of all issues to help you find them easily in your collections. This goes up to 140, (where I believe the boo cook art is supposed to end?).

These are Hi-rez pngs so suitable for printing. I printed double side on a sheet of paper and laminated it.

Cheers

Michael
Art website: www.michaelarby.com