Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I may have pushed things recently by buying several large boxes of Marvel reprints on eBay (I mean some were just too good to turn down – 31 issues of Mighty World of Marvel for a fiver), having about 50 books in my office that I still haven't read, and through us lacking the space, even in an extended house. I do at least only get one partwork. (I bought the first 60 issues of the Marvel one on eBay, but then re-sold them at no loss. And I got the first issue of the Transformers one, but the repro was so appalling, I stopped right there. I've since seen scans of subsequent issues and, well, oh my.)

Colin YNWA

Okay complete Dante in Hardback has my interest. Can I ask how big are the vplumes (dimensions rather than page count)? Do we know? I seem to recall from the nega collection they are normal 2000ad trade size? Couldn't spot it on the website.

IndigoPrime

If they're the same as the Dredd books, they will be about 1cm shorter and 0.5cm deeper than Rebellion softbacks.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 August, 2017, 04:21:02 PM
I may have pushed things recently by buying several large boxes of Marvel reprints on eBay (I mean some were just too good to turn down – 31 issues of Mighty World of Marvel for a fiver), having about 50 books in my office that I still haven't read, and through us lacking the space, even in an extended house. I do at least only get one partwork. (I bought the first 60 issues of the Marvel one on eBay, but then re-sold them at no loss. And I got the first issue of the Transformers one, but the repro was so appalling, I stopped right there. I've since seen scans of subsequent issues and, well, oh my.)

I get you. I bought the complete collection of Planet of The Apes, Marvel UK, including the MWOM issues, for £30, plus the complete run of Dracula Lives for £25. I too bought the first Transformers, despite it being of little interest to me (I was 16 and more into football and girls when it first hit the stands) but, as you mentioned, the repro was awful.
Nearly all of the partworks, bar an issue or two, I don't touch until they have finished. I just like having a large collection of books to read once they have finished.
Weird, I know.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 August, 2017, 03:39:26 PM
Mostly, I think I'm going to have someone (Matt? Molch-R? Jim?) explain to my wife why there are going to be two card boxes of books dropping through the letterbox every month now, rather than one.

"It's a two-for-the-price-of-one special offer, dear"...?

(Although I haven't told mine yet. It's probably tax-deductible... yeah, that's it! It's research!)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

moly

My niece is very excited about this as it means she will be getting a lot of graphic novels from myself, I've always passed on the megazine to her but not 2000ad

Apestrife

Wonder if the Chopper character portrait means there'll be a "Chopper stories volume 2" in the 2000ad ultimate collection. Those penned by Ennis.

moly

As they are doing the 9 Dante books does anyone know the page count as wondering how many issue it would take up

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Apestrife on 09 August, 2017, 05:29:00 PMWonder if the Chopper character portrait means there'll be a "Chopper stories volume 2" in the 2000ad ultimate collection. Those penned by Ennis.
Isn't pretty much all of Chopper going to be in the MC? However, Midnight Surfer was confirmed to NOT be in the collection, so perhaps that? A book of Dredd classics omitted from the MC run?

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 09 August, 2017, 05:12:03 PMNearly all of the partworks, bar an issue or two, I don't touch until they have finished. I just like having a large collection of books to read once they have finished.
I'm not sure I'd get away with that. My wife's not thrilled I have piles of magazines in the office (MacFormat and Retro Gamer) I've never read, although I do a Jim with those. (They are viably tax deductible, given that I write for both. Comics... not so much, sadly.)

Quote from: moly on 09 August, 2017, 05:35:16 PMAs they are doing the 9 Dante books does anyone know the page count as wondering how many issue it would take up
Wasn't the suggestion elsewhere that it would be the entire run?

Looking at the 2000 AD shop, there's wiggle room regarding the existing collection, in that three of the books are a lot smaller than the others. The average page count for a ND volume is therefore 200 (which is at the lower end of the JDMC volumes, but seemingly about par for the 2000 AD ones).

Full counts, if anyone cares: 192; 208; 144; 160; 144; 208; 224; 172; 192; 192; 224. Average: 206. (This doesn't count the 'extra' story we got recently, but that'd bump things up by, what, one page, tops, on average?)

Apestrife

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 August, 2017, 05:40:16 PM
Isn't pretty much all of Chopper going to be in the MC? However, Midnight Surfer was confirmed to NOT be in the collection, so perhaps that? A book of Dredd classics omitted from the MC run?

Wasn't it Un-american grafitti that'd get left out, but later hinted at still being somewhere else in the collection?

When I asked on the fb page about them possible omitting everything after Song of the surfer, I was told that The Big Meg was still getting collected.

moly

Cheers indigoprime that's a big chunk out of 80 volumes but very happy they are doing the full run

Southstreeter

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 09 August, 2017, 03:35:40 PM
The worst thing here for me is that the only book of Dante I've not got is the second Tsar wars. So- do I let all my current trades go and get the UC versions or just pick up the UC edition that runs those issues?

Me too, though I think it's the first volume of Tsar Wars I don't have. Dilemma, though I'm not sure I'd want to buy 9 volumes of it at £10 a pop.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Apestrife on 09 August, 2017, 05:44:27 PMWasn't it Un-american grafitti that'd get left out, but later hinted at still being somewhere else in the collection?
ARGH – yes, you're right.

QuoteI was told that The Big Meg was still getting collected.
I didn't mind that one. And even the Ennis follow-up wasn't too bad. That Supersurf 13 dreck though (McKenzie?)... urgh.

Quote from: Southstreeter on 09 August, 2017, 06:56:52 PMMe too, though I think it's the first volume of Tsar Wars I don't have. Dilemma, though I'm not sure I'd want to buy 9 volumes of it at £10 a pop.
Sell the others on eBay first?

JLC

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 August, 2017, 05:40:16 PM
Quote from: moly on 09 August, 2017, 05:35:16 PMAs they are doing the 9 Dante books does anyone know the page count as wondering how many issue it would take up
Wasn't the suggestion elsewhere that it would be the entire run?

Matt very specifically said the complete Nikolai Dante. Also, a complete collection of Cabballistics, with a bit of Absalom thrown in to round out the page count. Plus, a complete collection of the Abnett/Harrison Durham Red in three (I think) volumes, which I'm sure will look amazing in a hardcover on decent paper.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.