Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Colin, I might well be wrong here but if all the Dante volumes are going to be consecutive once the series is done, then the spine will be a small chunk of Boo Cook, not lots of oddly disparate slices.

Or that's how I interpret the release, anyway.

Arkady

^^^^
Correct, Dante will be the last nine volumes, 72-80. Sadly Dante isn't on that bit of the spine art!

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 December, 2017, 07:51:34 PM
EDIT to say:  Smells bloody great too!

Smells like Top Thrills alright.

I've cherry-picked the Dredd collection, but usually for short runs of connected issues (e.g. Armitage, Tour of Duty-Day of Chaos) and the combined spines result in nice little snapshots of the whole, not at all unpleasant - with 9 volumes of Dante, there should be enough visual coherence to even please the eye of a librarian.

I still harbour a desire to letraset a single word description onto the the spine of each volume (e.g. 'Duty 1'), and may yet...

gurnard

Quote from: Arkady on 12 December, 2017, 09:51:31 AM
^^^^
Correct, Dante will be the last nine volumes, 72-80. Sadly Dante isn't on that bit of the spine art!

It will be nice if Dante is consecutive, but I am confused. The first volume has just been released, as issue 8. Or does it mean I will have to wait until 72-80 to get the rest of them?

If we know when they are coming is there a list of the complete set somewhere?  If so anyone got a link?

Arkady

gurnard

sintec

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 10 December, 2017, 03:01:13 PM
For me, the first SD volume has a fun vibrancy to it, particularly the humour with the Gronk. Undoubtedly some of this is nostalgia, but I'd be interested to know if this is a starting point on discovering 2000AD for anyone, and what their thoughts are.

This series is pretty much my intro to 2000AD, beyond reading a few odd bits from a band mates copies of the prog back in the 90s.  Have to say I found vol1 of Stront a bit of a slog, it felt very much of it's time and aimed at a younger audience.  I can understand this has nostalgia value for those who read it "back in the day" but that's a little before my time (Galaxy Killers and Journey to Hell were published before I was born) and reading it for the first time now it feels dated.  Have to say I'm kinda glad we're not getting the even earlier Starlord stuff as well if this vol is an indication of where the strip was back there.

Leading with Kreeler Conspiracy as the first issue of Stront was a good plan on Hachette's part (even if it did lead to a spoiler filled intro).  If Vol1 had been the first issue of Stront we'd received it wouldn't have persuaded me I needed to keep my sub to read the rest.

Dante on the other hand was superb, can't wait to see where that's going in future vols.

Dark Jimbo

Stront improves hugely very quickly. Vol 2 is almost a better intro to the strip than Vol 1, really - if it wasn't for the sole continuity-troubling appearance of the Weerd Brothers I'd have no hesitation about recomnending new readers ignore the numbering and dive right in with 2 before going on to 1. I think once you've read Johnny's origin's in Portrait of a Mutant, not to mention read the classic likes of Gronk Affair, Kid Knee Caper and Moses Incident - plus personal fave The Bad Boys Bust - you're going to be very forgiving and patient of the minor quality blip that is the atypical Galaxy Killers and meandering Journey into Hell (it's only as an intro to the characters and set-up that they clang a bit) and then the likes of Schiklegruber Grab is along not long afterward to get things right back on track.
@jamesfeistdraws

Tomwe

Some conflicting information on upcoming books, I had it direct from FB that Zombo will be Issue 17, Volume 55. That book is therefore out 11/04/2018. We also have been told Slaine returns with the following issue 18, on April 25th.

However, when fellow FB enquirer ‎Dan Howard asked about Skizz as well as the Hewligans's Haircut book he was told:
QuoteVol 45 for Skizz/DR & Quinch (no issue number given but say April 2018 release) and Vol 54 for Hewligan's Haircut (May 2018 release).

I therefore earmarked Skizz for 17, but clearly that isn't right. Looks like 2018 will continue with some corkers  though!

sintec

With that info we can get a pretty good picture of the final shelf order of the complete set:

01-03    Judge Dredd
04-13    Strontium Dog
14-18    ? [5 vols]
19-22    Nemesis the Warlock
23-28    ABC Warriors
29-41    Sláine
42-44    ? [3 vols]
45         Skizz/DR & Quinch
46         The Ballad of Halo Jones
47-51    Rogue Trooper
52-53    Bad Company
54         Hewligan's Haircut
55         Zombo
56         ? [1 vol]
57-58    Shakara: The Avenger
59         ? [1 vol]
60-61    Kingdom
62-71    ? [10 vols]
72-80    Nikolai Dante

56 + 59 are clearly going to be either Ampney, Durham, Meltdown or Stickleback.  Also seems likely one of Robo-hunter or Sinister Dexter will be 42-44 given those are both 3 book runs, although I guess this could be one of the remaining single vols and a pair (Ace Trucking Co, Caballistics Inc, Tharg's Future Shocks).  Invasion has to be either somewhere in the 14-18 gap or in the 62-71 gap, placing that would probably give us a better guess at the remainder (anyone got any info on that one?).

Dark Jimbo

Durham would make most sense as vol.14, no?
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 14 December, 2017, 12:14:33 PM
Durham would make most sense as vol.14, no?

Seems likely - which leaves a nice Invasion sized gap there.  Although that could equally be the remaining single vol and Robo or SinDex, or it could be 2 of Ace Trucking Co, Caballistics Inc and Tharg's Future Shocks.

Tomwe

Quote from: sintec on 14 December, 2017, 11:34:09 AM
Invasion has to be either somewhere in the 14-18 gap or in the 62-71 gap, placing that would probably give us a better guess at the remainder (anyone got any info on that one?).
I asked and was answered:
QuoteWe can let you now that Invasion is currently planned to be Issue 60, Volume 62 and Savage is currently planned to be Issue 75, Volume 63.
I was trying to find where we got the idea Savage would be four books - I can only find the FB page previously saying that it would be included. But it can only be three at the most due to the next book on the list.

sintec

Quote from: Tomwe on 15 December, 2017, 01:41:50 PM
But it can only be three at the most due to the next book on the list.

Do we know what vol 65 will be?

Also if Invasion/Savage isn't 4 books then we've got at least 1 mystery title I believe as that would leave us short of the 80.

Tomwe

Quote from: sintec on 15 December, 2017, 02:30:09 PM
Do we know what vol 65 will be?
Well, it's one of two:
Volume-wise, Stickleback is Volume 65 and Ampney Crucis Investigates is Volume 65.

Hope this helps!
(not really lol)