Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling eighty-fifth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 276-279 of 2000 AD, covering August of 1982. Join us as  Sam takes care of Kidd, the Dix-I front concludes, Dredd has trouble with fungus, and Ace Trucking is ready to GET OUT.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Steve Green

Gameshow hosts:

Les: probably Les Dawson (Blankety Blank) or Les Dennis (although bit early for Les Dennis as a gameshow host)

Jeremy Weevil: Jeremy Beadle (co-hosted Game for a Laugh, more of a prankster)

Eammon Enos: Eamonn Andrews (hosted this is Your Life)

Harry Karry: just a joke on Hari-Kari I guess.

Larry Gruesome: Larry Grayson: the Generation Game (the last game had a conveyor belt of prizes which the contestant had to remember to win)

Ted Cringe: Possibly Ted Rogers, host of 3-2-1 which had notoriously cryptic clues to win a top prize or end up with a dustbin.

Bamber Gastank: Bamber Gascoigne, host of University Challenge, also parodied in Young Ones episode 'Bambi'

Crazy Chick Chuckle - no idea.

Slob Bankhurst - Bob Monkhouse

A few other references - the golden bullet probably refers to the Golden Shot where a contestant directs a crossbow to hit a target. It also had the catchphrase 'Bernie, the bolt' when loading the crossbow which is also the name of the robot in the Dredd story.

Visually they don't look anything like their real counterparts.

Andy B

Another great show, and I very much enjoyed the call-out for my 'cool' Celeneon Death Guard in Prog 278. Still my artistic high point!

By the way, the name 'Ogden', that Fox found so weird, is a reference to a family in Britain's longest running soap opera, 'Coronation Street'. Wikipedia tells me that "The character of Hilda Ogden was very popular with the British public — in 1982 she came fourth behind the Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, and Diana, Princess of Wales in a poll of the most recognisable women in Britain."

Next week should be fun. #NoBlakeePentax

SpaceSpinner2000

There's enough of a gap between Robo Hunter stories, combined with our coverage of the 2000AD annual that the Pentax will remain safe until episode 88!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling eighty-sixth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 280-283 of 2000 AD, covering September of 1982. Join us as the Robo World Cup comes to Brit-Cit, Mean Machine comes back to life, and Mean Arena comes to a close! Also, a big shout out to our sponsor this week, Otto Sump's GUNGE BOX!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

WhizzBang

Phew! I am glad the Mean Arena is over. I am reading the progs along with you and have found MA wearisome.

I think a lot of the Sam Slade football references would have gone over the heads of many readers. Football is the most popular sport in the UK but more people have no interest in it than do. As I kid I loved playing football but never had any interest in watching it on TV or following a team.

Also, it is funny how people get very militant these days about the term 'Soccer'. You can see in the ads in these 2000AD comics that the term 'soccer' was frequently used in place of football which would not happen today. It is claimed it as a class thing but back then there was near zero awareness that other games existed in the world that also called themselves 'football' and I feel it is more down to bagging the term for the most popular football variant.

The race representation is coming soon and is regretable but I think unfair to label as racist. It is ignorant, stereotypical and unpleasant but I do not believe it was deliberaterly malicious or implying some kind of racial superiority of the creators. Stereotypes were perhaps just an easy laugh and they would have seen it as similar to putting a Scot in a kilt with bagpipes and ginger hair like the Simpsons. Actually, now that I think about it, isn't Apu a bit of a racial stereotype too?

Lobo Baggins

Brian Clough's surname was pronounced 'Kluff' - the English also have a lot of frankly baffling rules for pronouncing names as well as the Irish and the Welsh.

Be thankful that there's no 2000 AD stories set in Loughborough...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Steve Green

Good luck.

Slough can be either OW as in the town, named after soil or UFF as in to shed skin.

Then Frank Bough (70s/80s presenter) is pronounced OFF, but bough as a branch is OW.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 26 February, 2018, 03:06:02 PM
The race representation is coming soon and is regretable but I think unfair to label as racist. It is ignorant, stereotypical and unpleasant but I do not believe it was deliberaterly malicious or implying some kind of racial superiority of the creators. Stereotypes were perhaps just an easy laugh and they would have seen it as similar to putting a Scot in a kilt with bagpipes and ginger hair like the Simpsons. Actually, now that I think about it, isn't Apu a bit of a racial stereotype too?

For me these Asian jokes just seem really over the top and rough. They're really an example of comedy from a different era, sort of like (to continue the Simpsons reference) when Krusty does similar jokes at a comedy show and everyone else is shocked by them. I believe I try to put it in context in the actual episode, which we'll have in two weeks. I think this, sort of like the early MACH ONE stuff, is one of those times that you really realize that we're reading something from 36 years ago, and how much things have changed in that time. This is obviously a thorny subject and one I don't feel fully qualified to take on, but hopefully we end up doing a not completely terrible job at it!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 26 February, 2018, 03:33:46 PM
Brian Clough's surname was pronounced 'Kluff' - the English also have a lot of frankly baffling rules for pronouncing names as well as the Irish and the Welsh.

Be thankful that there's no 2000 AD stories set in Loughborough...
Quote from: Steve Green on 26 February, 2018, 03:56:52 PM
Good luck.

Slough can be either OW as in the town, named after soil or UFF as in to shed skin.

Then Frank Bough (70s/80s presenter) is pronounced OFF, but bough as a branch is OW.

My understanding is that Worcestershire is pronounced "Wooster" but that might just be a Boston thing. As always I apologize for any errors, it's hard keeping this stuff straight!

Steve Green

Pretty much :D  - I pronounce it Wustershur/Wustersher - not sure how much it varies around the country, around Birmingham they tend to have a bit more oo in their pronunciation.

Big_Dave

For me these Asian jokes just seem really over the top and rough

because rednecks
& russians havent
been pilloried too?

any letters from llanelli?

The Legendary Shark

At least you're not reviewing Dad's Army - you'd have a meltdown over Captain Mainwaring!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Otto Sump's "very very tasty" jingle would have been instantly recognisable from this ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92r9H_6B2kI (coincidentally, the waiter on the right went on to star in a hugely popular sitcom set in nazi-occupied France, whose very British humour was based almost entirely on comedy stereotypes of foreigners such as you'll see in Robohnter, but with more smutty innuendo).

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 February, 2018, 07:50:13 PM
Otto Sump's "very very tasty" jingle would have been instantly recognisable from this ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92r9H_6B2kI (coincidentally, the waiter on the right went on to star in a hugely popular sitcom set in nazi-occupied France, whose very British humour was based almost entirely on comedy stereotypes of foreigners such as you'll see in Robohnter, but with more smutty innuendo).

Oh wow! I didn't even imagine the possibility of this! As always there's untold layers of British pop culture that I still have to learn about! (On twitter I've just been informed taht Blankety Tharg is probably a reference to the gameshow Blankety Blank?) It's hard out there!