Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: SIP on 11 May, 2017, 02:32:41 PM
I agree - this is a man who clearly WANTS to play Dredd. And i really want him to as well.

Let's hope that they want to go in that direction, he's affordable and he's  available!

I feel the same way about Olivia Thirlby, perfect for the part......and i would love to see  oth of them, but it's Dredd who is pivotal rather than Anderson.

Yep - in my ideal but realistic world Karl will continue to flourish in his film career, but will be able to slot JD: M-C1 into his schedule without breaking the fledgling show's budget.

sheridan

Quote from: marko10174 on 11 May, 2017, 03:05:37 PM

I think with todays social and political climate, they should really start with the democracy story lines and then introduce total war. Hell, Antifa basically are total war! There is plenty of scope for some great social commentary. "America" would be an awesome starting point. I'd love to see some"futsies" as well. Diary of a crazed citizen would make for an awesome episode. What is the name of that strip where a female citizen goes into a bar and literally beats a guy to death because she believes he stole her job? It then results in thousands of citizens going crazy as they all believe there'll be a new job opening. That strip would be great to show the bleakness of life in megacity one.

Sunday Night Fever:

The Legendary Shark

The Stallone Dredd had its good points and the Urban Dredd was a great film but neither was pure enough. I'd like to see a CGI Dredd so we can get proper big Ezquerran shoulder pads, kleggs, robots, Apocalypse wars and Karl Urban 'phoning in his lines from wherever he happens to be at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely chuffed and excited about this but CGI would allow the extreme craziness of MC1 to shine in a way live action might find difficult.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

While CGI would give you the look you want Sharky, I think it might be taken as a mere cartoon if it was just CGI. For MC1 to be a real success it needs to be taken seriously by non-2000AD fans as well as 2000AD fans.

dweezil2

I think a CGI version of Dredd would be a hard sell, especially for a presumably tonally adult show.

Live action is definitely the way to go.

And besides, is the way they are going, so the point's moot.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

The Legendary Shark

I know, I know.

But one day somebody will make an adult CGI show that will be superb. I just wish this could be it, that's all.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richard

I wouldn't watch a cartoon. I want to see an adult show done in the style of the Battlestar Galactica remake or Game of Thrones.

Moving on, I understand the appeal of rehashing the comic stories, but if rather the writers just came up with new stories of their own. What matters is that they understand the character and his world, so I'd want them to read enough of the (Tharg not IDW) comic stories so that they "get it."

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 May, 2017, 07:03:53 PM
The Stallone Dredd had its good points and the Urban Dredd was a great film but neither was pure enough.

As obvious as its faults are (acting and story) it does have good points, and they're mostly design related (apart from the uniform of the main characters).  Even the costumes of all the supporting characters are excellent.  I've got the two books The Art of Judge Dredd and The Making of Judge Dredd and they're both ram-packed with superb concept sketches, set photos and stills.

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 11 May, 2017, 07:42:32 PM
Moving on, I understand the appeal of rehashing the comic stories, but if rather the writers just came up with new stories of their own. What matters is that they understand the character and his world, so I'd want them to read enough of the (Tharg not IDW) comic stories so that they "get it."

I don't want to see a series of adaptations of stories from the comic either.  I want new situations, new characters (though with the odd one that we'll all recognise every now and then) and new stories.  As long as they don't focus over-long on the Cursed Earth, which the US comics seem to fixate on, or give Dredd a Santa beard (sorry Ulises).

PsychoGoatee

I'd like to see some of the classic material get adapted, or at least adapted in the sense of combining and remixing elements from a lot of them. When you have so many great stories to work with, might as well use them.

On an animated Dredd, I'd watch that too, but I prefer 2D animation over 3D CGI myself. Live action is even more exciting for Dredd though for me, and could still do stuff like Klegg and whatnot if they wanted to.

A.Cow

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 11 May, 2017, 09:17:26 PM
On an animated Dredd, I'd watch that too, but I prefer 2D animation over 3D CGI myself.

Personally I'd like to see them do Dredd in the same style as the old Paddington Bear TV series.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: SIP on 11 May, 2017, 12:16:34 PM
Guessing of course, but if this has been given the go ahead on the strength of the loyal following of the 2012 Dredd movie, wouldn't it be a mistake to veer too far away from the look of that film?

The 2012 movie (for me) created a general aesthetic and city  that I actually now prefer to its comic counterpart. I don't think I want the city from 1995 Judge Dredd, I want 2012 Dredd.

The practical body armour was also spot on. And finally, if we are following on from the fan support of Dredd, Karl Urban would surely be the number 1 choice. I can only hope that it happens. I don't think any old actor will do just because it's only a chin and voice, that's seriously underplaying what karl urban brought to the role. He 100% nailed it.

Have to disagree there.  Although I liked Dredd the city just didn't capture the feel of the comic Mega City to me and I thought that the Stallone film actually did the city much better (even though the film wasn't exactly a great Dredd film).

Same with the uniform.   It was ok but could have been much better and I thought it looked a bit cheapo.   Dredds uniform should look as cool and expensive as possible.   

Beeks

As has been mentioned

I think it's likely that the series won't be based on Dredd but based around Mega City One itself

That way if Urban does want to reprise Joe..he can appear sporadically..flitting in and out of the series

Hopefully this can help with his schedule

I like the idea of the 'Hill Street Blues' cop show as mentioned earlier

Based around a sector house with snapshots of their day..would really get a feel for the Big Meg and make the show more accessible to the casual viewer
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Beeks

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 11 May, 2017, 10:50:37 PM
Quote from: SIP on 11 May, 2017, 12:16:34 PM
Guessing of course, but if this has been given the go ahead on the strength of the loyal following of the 2012 Dredd movie, wouldn't it be a mistake to veer too far away from the look of that film?

The 2012 movie (for me) created a general aesthetic and city  that I actually now prefer to its comic counterpart. I don't think I want the city from 1995 Judge Dredd, I want 2012 Dredd.

The practical body armour was also spot on. And finally, if we are following on from the fan support of Dredd, Karl Urban would surely be the number 1 choice. I can only hope that it happens. I don't think any old actor will do just because it's only a chin and voice, that's seriously underplaying what karl urban brought to the role. He 100% nailed it.

Have to disagree there.  Although I liked Dredd the city just didn't capture the feel of the comic Mega City to me and I thought that the Stallone film actually did the city much better (even though the film wasn't exactly a great Dredd film).

Same with the uniform.   It was ok but could have been much better and I thought it looked a bit cheapo.   Dredds uniform should look as cool and expensive as possible.

I agree the City in Stallones Dredd was impressive..but strongly disagree about the Uniform..Urban's Judge uniform was bang on IMO..practical and combat based..exactly what you would expect a future lawman to wear on the streets
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens