Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Stallone's uniform was completely impractical, and not like anything law enforcement would actually wear (except as dress uniform maybe). Urban' saws designed to be something you could actually fight in, and it looked cool.

dweezil2

Quote from: Beeks on 11 May, 2017, 10:51:06 PM

I like the idea of the 'Hill Street Blues' cop show as mentioned earlier

Based around a sector house with snapshots of their day.

Basically an adaptation of The Pit then?

I think that would be a great way to grab the initial newbies and casual fans.

Work the more bizarre and eccentric elements of Mega-City One as the series progresses, working up to some multi-part epics for the first seasons climax.

Leave 'em wanting more!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

dweezil2

Quote from: Richard on 11 May, 2017, 11:18:26 PM
Stallone's uniform was completely impractical, and not like anything law enforcement would actually wear (except as dress uniform maybe). Urban' saws designed to be something you could actually fight in, and it looked cool.

The comic uniform works brilliantly in the strip, but I think the 2012 movie style works better on film, especially if it wants to be taken seriously by the uninitiated, which face it, is going to make up the majority of the audience.

For me the 2012 uniforn was the perfect combination of practicality and comic book cool.

Steve Green

Realism is overrated.

I don't mind the 2012 costume - but realism shouldn't be the be-all and end-all.

It can be a creative cul-de-sac, and you end up with everything looking SWAT if that's all you do.

I think there's room to get some more slight sculptural look to the pads without sacrificing practicality, get a bit of a distintive silhouette back.

More interested in the bike TBH, the costume would just be tinkering around the edges.

jacob g

Sorry but no, jest no. I love 2012 Dredd but I am tired how many comicbook inspired movies or tv series trying to distance themselves from campy design and made everything 'practical and tactical' in terms of design.

Fanmade Judge Minty showed us that you can work with classic design so wy not embrace it in future tv series.

If we have amazing sci-fi dystopy with strong symbolic visuals we should embrace it, cherish it, use it and not make it dull like some nolan wannabe bullshit.

And yes, Stallone Dredd was shit, but visuals aspects of film was the only thing I like to this day. Like I said, I love 2012 movie but this time I want more Meg crazines.
margaritas ante porcos

Beeks

I think they will go with EXACTLY the same Aesthetic as the latest film Dredd..everything from Uniform to Lawmaster..and why not..it worked
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Stu101

What's the betting on this thread overtaking the massive 879 page count of Goaty's 'Dredd (2012)' Thread?

As for the exciting news, it hasn't really sunk in yet, and the drip feed of info is going to be torture. I must ensure that I don't stumble across spoilers* in the clamour that is sure to follow every press release.

* The gif of the corrupt Judges executing Paramedic TJ sure stole the surprise when the moment came in the film!

At least this is something good to occupy some of our thoughts in these dark days of Brexit and Trump etc etc.

Any more news anyone... :D

Krakajac

As a nod to fans, two versions of Dredd's uniform could be encorporated into the show.  A flashy, comic inspired uniform for formal dress occasions (like an Army officer might wear a mess kit to a formal event).  And a 'street' version - akin to the 2012 movie.  I can imagine a scene where Dredd is dressed in the former and getting pissed off and narky, impatient to change back into his practical street leathers and get back on the road.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: dweezil2 on 11 May, 2017, 11:22:25 PM

The comic uniform works brilliantly in the strip, but I think the 2012 movie style works better on film, especially if it wants to be taken seriously by the uninitiated, which face it, is going to make up the majority of the audience.

For me the 2012 uniforn was the perfect combination of practicality and comic book cool.

Sounds like part of the beauty of this adaptation is it doesn't need to be taken entirely seriously. They talk about how they thought the 2012 film didn't capture the satire as much as they want to here, and we have flying cars again, etc. Dredd having a stylized and impractical costume (with the full shoulder pads) is something I think they could pull off here.

Not a make or break either way, but it sounds like they're going to be trying to portray a more heightened world here, more like the comic. Which I think is best. And the viewers they'll be going for (clever ones with good taste) will still be able to take it seriously when they go serious, even if it has plenty of ridiculous elements. Awesome ridiculous elements.

Taste in costume design aside, since we're all fans of the comic here, don't we agree to some degree that we want more of what the comic is, on screen?

dweezil2

Certainly a very British, Pythonesque/Terry Gilliam surrealist approach to the material could be interesting.
Striking the right tonal balance, between the serious and more absurdly satirical elements will be a challenge.

Very excited to see what they cook up!  :)

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: dweezil2 on 12 May, 2017, 12:53:48 AM
Certainly a very British, Pythonesque/Terry Gilliam surrealist approach to the material could be interesting.
Striking the right tonal balance, between the serious and more absurdly satirical elements will be a challenge.

Very excited to see what they cook up!  :)

Just rewatched Brazil a couple months ago too, Terry would a great influence to have for the look of this on film, for sure.

sheridan

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 12 May, 2017, 12:57:01 AM
Just rewatched Brazil a couple months ago too, Terry would a great influence to have for the look of this on film, for sure.

One of my favourite films!

sheridan

Quote from: Stu101 on 12 May, 2017, 12:30:48 AM
What's the betting on this thread overtaking the massive 879 page count of Goaty's 'Dredd (2012)' Thread?

12 pages in a little over 24 hours, and two years to go?

Fungus

With 2 years to go and 500 opinions it might be wise to give this thread a wide berth. The Dredd movie thread seemed/seems interminable.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Krakajac on 12 May, 2017, 12:51:13 AM
As a nod to fans, two versions of Dredd's uniform could be encorporated into the show.  A flashy, comic inspired uniform for formal dress occasions (like an Army officer might wear a mess kit to a formal event).