Main Menu

The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance

Started by Andy Lambert, 18 May, 2017, 09:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

radiator

Age of Resistance has officially been cancelled by Netflix after just one season.

Absolutely gutting - it was easily my favourite TV show of the last year.

TordelBack

Real kick in the teeth - a show that was better than the original on every level: plot, worldbuikding, acting, humour, and - grud help me - even modelwork and puppetry.

The Legendary Shark

On the other fin, there's something to be said for quitting while you're ahead. Especially when you're that far ahead.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Keef Monkey

Damn, we just finished watching S1! Netflix really don't seem to care about sustainable shows, they're all about the new show buzz to get people talking and pull in subscribers and don't really care about shows beyond a season or two. I've stopped getting invested in anything they do at this point.

Colin YNWA

Was looking forward to catching up with this at some point. Does Season 1 stand up on its own?

sheridan

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 23 September, 2020, 07:24:02 AM
Damn, we just finished watching S1! Netflix really don't seem to care about sustainable shows, they're all about the new show buzz to get people talking and pull in subscribers and don't really care about shows beyond a season or two. I've stopped getting invested in anything they do at this point.

That's literally the reason (though there's one or two others in that article).

IndigoPrime

Netflix is in substantial debt and needs to keep subscribers hooked. It's discovered long-running series don't really achieve that, and that even short-run stuff quickly burns out because people lose interest. On that basis, I imagine we can surmise not enough people watched this show for the service to consider it a worthwhile investment for one or two more seasons. (Anything beyond three is very unlikely these days.)

wedgeski

With the amount of money this stuff costs, if people aren't watching it, it's going to go away. Frankly I'm pleased we even got a season 1 of this.

TordelBack

It's a vicious circle, though. Almost the first thing the missus asks every time we ponder a new series is 'does it have an ending?'. Verrry nervous about committing time to a show that is/will be cancelled mid-story. Often the trigger for us starting watching something is the notification of either at least a second series, or confirmation that it's a one-off (Godless is a good example). Not unlike trade-waiting, I suppose: burnt too many times by buying half a dozen issues of a wonderful comic only to see it cancelled,  so reluctant to buy floppies at all now: with the result that we're the very reason new books/teams go under.

The disappointment with Dark Crystal is that it felt like an impossible thing even as we were watching it - if something so miraculous could get one season, why not a second? It really should have found an audience.   

Proudhuff

okay, I'm in! Haven't really paid attention to this, but given the reviews above....
DDT did a job on me

Rately

Now dreading watching this, falling in love and knowing that that's that!

Ah well, here we go!

CalHab

Quote from: Rately on 23 September, 2020, 11:49:29 AM

Ah well, here we go!

The Firefly problem.

Rately

Quote from: CalHab on 23 September, 2020, 11:52:52 AM
Quote from: Rately on 23 September, 2020, 11:49:29 AM

Ah well, here we go!

The Firefly problem.

Exactly.

And then you have your hopes constantly messed about with by rumoured new scripts, funding!

Keef Monkey

Another problem is the length of their seasons, they've often said something they look at when renewing shows is how many people who started a season actually finished it, and it's very rare I watch a Netflix season that isn't padded out by a few hours so it's no wonder the viewers drop off.