Main Menu

Prog 2071 - Once Were Warriors ... Now They're The Wanted!

Started by A.Cow, 03 March, 2018, 01:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Hmm...

Cover - Nice to see them paying tribute to the original Bad Company, but the result only seems to reinforce just how far the current instance has strayed from its roots.

Dredd - Am I the only one not feeling the love for Dave Taylor's artwork?  Leaves me cold, I'm afraid.  Here's hoping the story develops into something truly interesting.

Savage - I love Savage.  And I love Patrick Goddard's art for it.  But the scene with the truck seemed to make little sense.  [spoiler]It wasn't clear that the truck was braking, and Bill's dramatic exit jarred with his sudden re-appearance back inside the cab.[/spoiler]  Yes, we can fill in the gaps but it felt a bit sloppy.

Brass Sun - Don't have a clue what's going on and not sure if I care.

ABC Warriors - Like Greysuit, I'm not sure whether this has descended into self-parody or not.  Regardless, highlight of the week for me is Deadlock's response on page 4.  Genius.

Bad Company - TL;DR.

Richard

The Dredd story has already developed into something interesting. This was a great episode. I'd like to see the same team do another Lamia story.

Brass Sun has been good lately. This episode was okay, although [spoiler]it was a shame that the new bad guys got wiped out so easily so soon after they were introduced as a major new threat.[/spoiler]

Magnetica

Not sure if it's my imagination , but three of the episodes remind of references from other works.

In Brass Sun we have tree creatures which reminds me of Ents in LoTR. Really not sure about the depiction on page 3 though.

In ABC Warriors the Marsokhods have their " I am Spartacus" moment and then it is explained Blackblood has gone all Horcrux (sort of).

Langley's art is just great this week, and in a "I didn't think it possible " sort of way, Uncle Pat ups the word count, over the top of the action, which gives it a slightly disconnected sort feeling.

And is that the White Walkers in Bad Company?

Elswhere Savage wraps up with a hint of romance. Like A Cow I found the truck scene a bit confusing i.e. how come Nika didn't get splatted by it. Also she seemed to be able to remove the belt very easily.

As for Dredd - there are a couple of interesting ideas thrown in here.

Overall though, I am getting a bit tired of the "I stopped reading the Prog years ago" and its "rubbish now" sort of comments being made (largely elsewhere). Given the former, how does anyone know the latter is true?

Colin YNWA

Well every long running comic does it in the end I guess, but have to say I was a little surprised to see Tharg do a Giant Sized X-men 1 cover - shouldn't be they did the others (Amazing Fantasy 15 (or was that a cover on a cover) Amazing Spidey 50 and X-Men 141) and have to say it makes for a great cover.

Inside its much as you where. To be honest ABC Warriors improves, its been an up and down run and that's encapsulated in this episode. I love bits whinced at bits. Dredd is equally enjoyable and Bad Company is raised by to higher levels by some glorious art... well the colouring I think it is, really, really enjoying Terrorists now. Savage jolted me at first with the scene shift, but it really worked in the end and loved the ending and the addition Nika being added to the cast outside the context of the last couple of books and adding a romantic interest for Bill which can really add new things to the series. Lets see where we go.

Brass Sun still rules the roost however christ this series is GREAT.

Really can't wait for next weeks Prog as we'll get another of those lessons in how well Tharg's thrills make their landing. Then 48 pages the week after - good times.

Art

Zenith 666

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Pat slips a reference to the NRA in there - a bit prescient, considering current headlines.

iutley

Still haven't got my subs prog yet :(
Damn you Snowmageddon!!

IndigoPrime

Cover: Fab. Dayglo can do no wrong.

Dredd: I'm enjoying this. Bit different. Dredd actually not defaulting to SHOOT THE THING I DON'T UNDERSTAND was nice, too. Letting the expert take the lead = smart policing.

Savage: End of book 11. I'm not sure what to make of this one. Mr Ten Per Cent being in the comic twice was a problem, and I'm not convinced about the overt ABC Warriors crossovers. At the very least, you know TPC was going to be fine, because later in the Prog he's still alive in the future. All the lyrics stuff is a bit hmmm too, but the strip itself worked reasonably well as a standalone tale. That said, I do wonder whether we're now down for a dozen books of Bill vs the military-industrial complex. If so, I hope there's some action, not many episodes that are a bunch of lyrics plastered on the page, and a minimum of preaching.

Brass Sun: Still very solid. Some nice surprises. I feel sorry for the protagonist.

ABC Warriors: I'd say this has descended into self-parody now. I'd happily see ABC Warriors rested for a couple of years after this. Pat apparently ran out of ideas for a strip some time ago, and we're just seeing recycling now. It feels like the series needs some kind of reboot, and to get off of Mars. If not, just stop with having the same endless cycle of facing off against their evil mirror images – it's just really boring, which is something this strip shouldn't be.

Bad Company: Lovely and energetic art, but I'm still not convinced about the script. Yes, fine, everything in war is a lie, so don't believe anything you've read, but this feels like it's just fired a volley of bullets through the strip's history. So I'm on the fence with this one.

Looking forwards to the jumping-on Prog.

broodblik

Solid Prog but Savage feels like it missed a few dozen pages. The ending feels rushed and incomplete.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

Quote from: broodblik on 07 March, 2018, 01:37:25 PM
Solid Prog but Savage feels like it missed a few dozen pages. The ending feels rushed and incomplete.

Really? It follows on from last week where Voldina was captured by the Volga with the anticipation that Savage would attempt to rescue her, which he duly did and then left room for a wrap up scene a bit like you used to get on Star Trek TNG Or DS9 where they reflect on what happened. In this case the hint of a bit of romance for Bill and Nika.

broodblik

Sorry I missed that from the previous Prog and clearly as daylight the last two panels she was captured.

Big_Dave

round of appaluse
for partick goddard

makes impossible
look easy & i have
mancrush on beardy bill