Main Menu

Which's the best story/stories with Judge Giant Jr?

Started by Sandman1, 14 August, 2018, 04:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandman1

I'm looking for a story or stories that defines the character, perhaps something similar to how the story Cadet characterizes Beeny. The story in itself doesn't necessarily have to be so particularly good. Stories with a more ample representation of him would also work fine.
Error...

Woolly

I'm guessing you mean the current Judge Giant, in which case i would recommend 'Giant' and 'Necropolis' to start with.

Greg M.

By far and away my favourite Dredd-universe character. 'Young Giant' is the first story, and probably the defining one. Next, as Woolly says, 'Necropolis' and 'Giant'. He also plays an important role in the first half of 'The Pit' and in 'Missing'.

Richard

Young Giant, Necropolis, Giant and The Pit are the only ones which I think say anything about him. He's in other stories but I don't think they add anything to the character. Out of these four, Necropolis is the best story, but he's only in half of it -- although he also carried a couple of episodes when Dredd wasn't even in them.

Greg M.

Gordon Rennie did a couple of Giant stories that were squarely about the character, rather than just featuring him. 'Whatever Happened to John Giant Clay?' saw the judge meet his aeroball-star grandpappy, and 'Prodigal' had Giant meeting Rico and coming to terms with no longer being the new hotshot on the block.

Sandman1

'Young Giant' is featured in Case Files 13, but do you know where I can find 'Giant' and 'Prodigal'? 
Error...

Greg M.

'Giant' is in Case Files 20. Not sure about 'Prodigal' off the top of my head.

CalHab

Proudhuff

It would be great if all the main Giant stories were gathered... a but like the Dan Francisco floppy,
Or indeed if he had his own series in the Megazine 
DDT did a job on me

Richard

He's been very underused since The Pit. Surprised Dredd didn't request him for his team in Origins (he even said he couldn't think of anyone else).

Greg M.

I feel like Wagner may have lost interest in Giant round about the same time Rico was introduced: to a certain extent, Rico supplanted him as Dredd's 'heir'.

Frank

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 August, 2018, 07:27:56 PM
I feel like Wagner may have lost interest in Giant round about the same time Rico was introduced: to a certain extent, Rico supplanted him as Dredd's 'heir'.

Wagner's interest in Rico lasted about as long as his interest in Giant. If he was still writing Dredd, he'd have got bored of Beeny by now, too.

And the non-Wagners are more interested in their own not-Dredds (Gerhart, Joyce, Ghost Girl) than tidying-up Wagner's loose ends, so Rico, Giant & Beeny will probably just fade quietly into the background until some future hack needs an emotional impact for their big story[1] or decides to stamp their authoritai on the strip by setting fire to the furniture[2].

[1] See Garth Ennis throwing Dekker to the zombies (Judgement Day)

[2] See Gordon Rennie literally cutting Guthrie off at the knees (Blood Trails)

Dark Jimbo

Ewing adopted Giant as a character worthy of development, but of course his own tenure didn't last very long!
@jamesfeistdraws

Richard

Greg M.

Quote from: Frank on 15 August, 2018, 07:56:23 PM

Wagner's interest in Rico lasted about as long as his interest in Giant. If he was still writing Dredd, he'd have got bored of Beeny by now, too.

I think you're probably generally right on this, though significant moments for Rico in Tour of Duty and even right at the end of Day of Chaos suggest Wagner was probably interested enough in the character to return to him occasionally.