Main Menu

Collected Tharg Strips

Started by Andy Lambert, 26 May, 2019, 12:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Lambert

I may be in a minority, but I'd really love the Tharg strips brought together and reprinted in a graphic novel.
They were - for me at least - as much a part of 2000ad's history as every other strip or character that's seen a reprint.
I know some stuff has been reprinted before - I have a 2000ad Monthly that was dedicated to the Mighty One - but it's not extensive and I doubt anything currently out there that's similar will be.

I know these strips aren't as dramatic and edgy as your collected Judge Dredds, Rogue Troopers and such, and there may not be as much interest, but they were fun and imaginative and were as zarjaz as anything else 2000ad put out.

Just me then...?

Dark Jimbo

I think maybe a Meg floppy is not out of the question, but a gn might be pushing it!
@jamesfeistdraws

Andy Lambert

That's a pity, since just about everything else is getting a gn...

Andy Lambert

Not much love for those strips, then...

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I'd be up for a collected trade. They were vital in managing to half-convince me at an early age (would it be too much to say "half-convince all of us?") that Tharg was indeed real and behind the scenes at the Nerve Centre was just as interesting, funny and important as whatever Dredd was up to that week.
So yeah, definitely.
SBT

broodblik

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 26 May, 2019, 12:38:31 PM
I think maybe a Meg floppy is not out of the question, but a gn might be pushing it!

I can see it at most as a Meg floppy but GN not really, so I am must agree with Jimbo
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

I suspect these may of decidedly niche interest when it comes to an actual book. Personally, I'd not be overly thrilled with a floppy myself. Best of 2000 AD Monthly #63 wasn't exactly a favourite of mine, coming after some classic Dredd and Anderson, McMahon Sláine, Outlaw, and Torquemurder... As a relative youngling (early teens) at the time, I was a bit: what the fuck is this?

Richard

Those stories are pretty much the worst the prog has to offer. There have been one or two good ones,ike A History of 2000AD In Five Pages, but generally they're pointless. If there was a free floppy collecting them I wouldn't read it.

Fungus

They do seem aimed fairly and squarely at ten year olds (only today I've reread Alec Trench and the Day In The Life from the floppy 6 months ago). Nostalgia-value goes so far, reading a collection not so much?

The Curse Of Completism!  ::)

Andy Lambert

Ah well, I figured I'd be in the minority - at least, I'm not entirely on my own (cheers SBT!).
I thought those strips were fun...

Buttonman

I'd buy this. I know the Spacespinner2000 guys hate them but I always saw them as a bit of fun and satire based on the office politics of the day. may it happen Tharg - the ideal vanity project for you!

Bolt-01

I've a soft spot for the Tharg strips - I think the floppie would be the best home for collections of them. That being said - I'd love for there to be new ones every so often.

sheridan

I liked the Ezquerra, Belardinelli and Bradbury strips - the more recent ones we've had don't seem quite the same to me.  I really liked the various thrill-sucker strips that came out when I was a kid!  Having said that, I can't imagine myself actually buying a graphic novel collection of them, though would be happy seeing them in floppies.

maryanddavid

Going through old Fanzines, W&G are credited with writing a lot of them.

Andy Lambert

Good to see a bit more support for a Tharg reprint - whatever the format. I'd prefer a gn myself, but would settle for floppies.