Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2020

Started by Dash Decent, 27 June, 2019, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Comics "fandom" contains some incredibly toxic elements. 2000AD seems to attract a particular type of older man who resents the very existence of the comic. These men should be ridiculed or ignored, since they offer absolutely nothing.

Barrington Boots

If Slaine wraps up, on Pat's terms and he's happy with it, then I'm happy with that too. It's big news, but I think all stories need an end sometime.

I've also had some run-ins on Facebook with people who seem determined to see the Rebellion fail: usually people who claim they don't read it anymore and then become enraged when it's not exactly the same as it was in the 80s. It's a bizarre point of view and a mindset I literally cannot understand. I know recently there's been a bit of moaning about the new Hookjaw strip simply because it's not a rerun of the original with one guy saying he was cancelling his subscription in outrage or something, which is just a crazy overreaction although I suppose that's the internet in a nutshell for you.

As to Pat Mills, I admit I'm one of those who hasn't been too keen on a lot of his recent work for Tharg but his imagination, his passion and his sheer ire are wonderful things and I'd really like to see the Spacewarp project kick on and, if he is dialling back his commitments to 2000ad, for him to return with something fresh and amazing in year or two.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: CalHab on 19 November, 2020, 11:53:06 AM
Comics "fandom" contains some incredibly toxic elements. 2000AD seems to attract a particular type of older man who resents the very existence of the comic. These men should be ridiculed or ignored, since they offer absolutely nothing.

100% this.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 November, 2020, 11:29:36 AM
Sometimes, I swear people would be happier if Rebellion thought FUCK IT ALL and just turned into a reprint org, endlessly churning out new collections of 2000 AD strips from the early 1980s.

Which, ironically, is pretty much exactly what Egmont would have done with it if Rebellion hadn't bought the title in 2000.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

alphadogau

I don't usually comment on these things but reading Twitter tonight and then reading about the Facebook kerfuffle has got me a bit annoyed.
I've been read 2000AD for along time and I really think that it's currently the strongest it's been in years.
I don't understand the negativity towards HookJaw . I'm loving it!
It's not Action's take on HookJaw, it's 2000AD's take on HooJaw.
Each and every story in the prog might not be to everyone's taste and that's ok.
It's always been like that and hopefully it always will be.
For me personally I've never liked Slaine. I don't think it's badly written or drawn. It's just not my thing. Do I want it to disappear from the prog? No. Why?  Because I know that lots of other people do like it and if they come to 2000AD for that, they will stick around for something else.
Not even sure what I'm trying to say here except : why can't every just get along...

Are we there yet?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 19 November, 2020, 11:58:58 AMIf Slaine wraps up, on Pat's terms and he's happy with it, then I'm happy with that too. It's big news, but I think all stories need an end sometime.
As long as plot threads aren't left dangling, I'm happy enough with that. Sláine has had several perfectly good end points already, though: Horned God and Sláine the Wanderer spring to mind. But short of Mills killing Sláine (assuming that's even possible), I'm sure the strip could be picked up again in future if he/Rebellion wanted that to happen.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 November, 2020, 12:04:17 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 November, 2020, 11:29:36 AM
Sometimes, I swear people would be happier if Rebellion thought FUCK IT ALL and just turned into a reprint org, endlessly churning out new collections of 2000 AD strips from the early 1980s.
Which, ironically, is pretty much exactly what Egmont would have done with it if Rebellion hadn't bought the title in 2000.
I'm not sure they'd have even done that. They never understood what they had. I suspect 2000 AD would have just vanished into history, like so many other titles. All the people griping at Rebellion over every single decision need to think about all the titles the company is bringing back from the dead. No-one else was doing this. No-one else gave a crap.

wedgeski

Quote from: broodblik on 19 November, 2020, 11:39:32 AM
Rebellion has done  a sterling job. In the current climate still to receive the weekly prog and monthly meg is just awesome. They have not only kept the prog alive they added so many publications that I never had access to their current catalog it is outstanding.
A million times this.

2000AD could so easily be defunct right now, but in the midst of a truly horrible time it's positively shining.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 November, 2020, 02:57:05 PM
They never understood what they had.

The impression I have is that they did understand it, they just didn't like it. Egmont's entire operation was licensing and re-packaging existing IP... and then they had this one corner of the office commissioning (by their standards, at least) vast quantities of original material every year when they already had a mountain of pre-existing IP.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bolt-01

I think what this boils down to is:

Grud Bless the King-Slays and their non-talking horseys!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 19 November, 2020, 04:25:31 PM
I think what this boils down to is:

Grud Bless the King-Slays and their non-talking horseys!

Thirded. Expanding the franchise in an industry in decline has been an amazing sight to behold. A King-sized oil with two straws for that bicephalous droid!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Leigh S

Pat would wait until I had purchased Spacewarp to go full on Alex Jones wouldn't he?

In terms of the broad principles, I agree with Pat in the main:
Creators should have a stake in their creations (though publishers need to be able to have their cut - it can;t be all risk to the Publisher and all cake to the creator, even if the balance is still for too little cake)

I have no real interest in reading Dan Abnett Slaine or even Kenneth Niemand Strontium Dog to think of as  intriguing a blend as possible.

I say that as someone who likes a bit of fan fiction (hello Zarjaz!), but Abnett Slaine would at best (for me) be just that - fan fiction.

The way Pat goes about it though, sheesh.  The irony here is that Pat has long (and with strong justification I would say) railed against the corrosive influence of a small subset of fans "dictating" what is good and right.  Yet here he is, radicalized by or perhaps radicalizing a bunch of old fogeys who havent
read the comic since the 500s - call them the Bogpaper-Meinhoff Gruppe.

The Brendan McCarthy bit was hilarious until I realised he was being serious - two legends engaged in a pissing away your legacy competition.

As for Spacewarp, as others ahve said, as an attempt to reach kids, it's a failed product based on the format.

It reminded me of nothing less than (biase alert) the wonderful Paul Von Scott's et als Solar Wind  - even moreso PVS's  Omnivistascope.  15 years too late, Pat! As a (not as good as) Starlord to OVS's 2000AD, it has merit.  OVS had a lot more variation in  style and subject matter though, making it more enjoyable overall, and indeed, more kid friendly I would say.  I am on record of a fan of Pat's stuff for the most part, but a whole book of it grates by the end.  Had to take it in chunks and still not got through it all.

The rudeness though, what the hell Pat? - if I was Tharg, I'd be sorely tempted to announce Andy Diggle's Nemesis and David Bishop's Slaine as coming soon.

davidbishop

Quote from: Leigh S on 24 November, 2020, 04:34:56 PM
if I was Tharg, I'd be sorely tempted to announce Andy Diggle's Nemesis and David Bishop's Slaine as coming soon.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha to me writing Slaine.

Michael Carroll would do a far better job of that.

Andy D on Nemesis? that could work.

Leigh S

I'm still pretty sore with Pat from that recent sharing he did of John Sanders letter that (albeit rudely) offered a gateway into regaining creator rights. 

While it painted Sanders in a poor light, I was much more alarmed by the fact that Pat did no seize on it as his "in".  Get Alan Moore back his rights, set the precedent, get yours - not rocket science surely?  All Pat could see was how it was "setting creators against each other"  -only if you let them, Pat!

Art

I'm still not entirely sure how that business was supposed to make him look good.