Main Menu

Meg 418 - Night of the Long Knives

Started by broodblik, 18 March, 2020, 07:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Wrap-a-around Cover by Phil Winsalde

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

It is a pity that the Meg does not get more love this certainly is a very good one. 

We have a new Dredd story starting and what a great start we have. PJ Holden provides some solid art here.

The rest of the Meg's stories continue and are very solid with Lawless and Devlin the standouts.

The floppy is Black Shuck and if you missed it in the prog, I can highly recommend this. Werewolf Vikings need to ask more?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

This is issue 418.

Bolt-note.
++Good spot - thread titles updated.++

Colin YNWA

Now we are all numerically sorted lets chat Meg. And its a decent one. Dredd is pretty damned fun and PJ's art has gone up a notch always great there's moments in this story that just blow me away. Wonderful. Sure this seems to be another story about a corrupt Judge in The Pit(ish) there seems to be more going on... oh and a fungal plague too...

Blunt III cracks it up and Zombie Army try to hatch a plan to get to the heart of their problem. Both very servicable if not outstanding thrill.

So of course when we mention outstanding thrills we are of course talking Lawless as its one of the all time greats. Here however its merely superb, not it normal mindblowing self as horrors are released and brutes return. Its wonderful but this series has set its own bar so high that that feels almost a let down - its not of course BUT the mere fact that I've consider another story for thrill of the Meg speaks volumes.

But then Delvin Waugh is that good, it really is. Firsly Mike Dowlings art is just sublime and almost on a par with Mr Winslade's its that good. The story is so fantastic as we see Waugh as both utter capable, super smart chap that he is, but also the desperate measures he's prepared to take. As I read his exchange with Titi - the fact that they're a dildo is becoming almost unnoticed as they are simply a great character - had me looking for the catch myself. Just a brilliant bit of comes.

Decent Text pieces packed in the mid - the Action one especially good and I'm always going to be a bit disappointed with a floppie with a thrill so recently raised... go on one of you buggers tell me Black Shuck was first in the Prog in like 1767 or something - go on do it - but it feels like only yesterday to me. Still the quality of the stories is what I mainly come for and those were good.

Bolt-01

I thought the stand-out strip this month was Devlin. This was, for me, the first time since John Smith stopped writing it that I thought everything felt 'right'.

Fantastic.

Blue Cactus

I've enjoyed this Devlin story. The way it feels most different to Smith's stuff is that all the other characters besides the talking dildo are pretty normal people, whereas if you look at something like Plague of Frogs the side characters are all absolutely crazy designs and ideas. It feels like a different Devlin for that reason but, looking back to Swimming in Blood, as this story certainly does, it feels more like that more grounded sci fi universe than the later Devlin.

DrJomster

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 23 March, 2020, 01:39:53 PM
I thought the stand-out strip this month was Devlin. This was, for me, the first time since John Smith stopped writing it that I thought everything felt 'right'.

Fantastic.

Well said, Sir. It all comes together very nicely. It's been good before, but this feels like it's dropping into the groove properly now. The art is gorgeous too.

It would be remiss of me not to mention Lawless and Dredd, of course, some good stuff there. Lawless especially continues to be wonderful.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

The Monarch

thanks to an order on the website that i put in at the same time as a sub to both 2000ad and the meg i now have this issue in my hands!

may i just agree on all the praise devlin is getting it really does feel like the way it used to be under the mighty smith pen compared to the other post smith waughs

lawless is bloody good too but the day a poor lawless episode arrives is unfathomable to me