Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2021

Started by Dash Decent, 14 August, 2020, 12:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MumboJimbo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 August, 2021, 06:15:22 AM
i do want to re-read it though and look forward to the series coming back.

I definitely got a lot more out of it reading it in one go. There's quite a lot going on. On one level it's a look at today's heavy-handed policing and governmental crackdowns on the right to protest, and where all that might lead us in a decade or so's time. Secondly, it's part of the Judge Dredd origin story. And lastly it's a fairly intricate police-procedural in it's own right. There's also the angle of a women trying to be taken seriously in doing a traditionally male role (that role being fascist bully-boy), so you're kinda routing for her, while being appalled by her at the same time, like you are with Dredd!

Max Headroom

Does anyone know if the forthcoming 'Slaine: Dragontamer' will have a webshop exclusive version or just the standard hardcover available from Forbidden Planet?

broodblik

Slaine Dragontamer Webshop Edition (HC):

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

CalHab

The art on that was excellent.

AlexF

I actually rather liked the story as well, although I never really got my head around the whole Trojan thing this carries over from the Bruitania Chronicles. I am dimly aware that some old 'history of Britain' introduced the (totally made up) idea of Trojans coming to Britain and founding an Empire, but I don't know what the relevance is of these people being Trojans - I guess for Mills they represent Religious/Scientific/Industrial 'progress' which makes them an enemy to Slaine/the Earth Goddess. But I've no awareness of why 'Trojans' merit this kind of association? I guess because they also, legnedarily, founded Rome, which went on to become the source of all progress evil??

Anyway, probably a discussion for another thread!

sheridan

You'd have to ask a historian why they associated Brutus of Troy with the founding of Britain - though the mythology goes back 12 hundred years.

broodblik

Something interesting about the Dragontamer collection: Dragontamer features multiple pages that have been remastered specifically for this collection by Manco, enhancing his storytelling and critically-acclaimed work, and transforming the original serialised story into a career-defining work of art!

This might sway me to get the collection..........
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

CalHab

That's interesting. The story may work better as a collection as well, so I may purchase. I must admit that I didn't think it was Mills at his best when I read it in the prog.

broodblik

What to look out in the prog for November:

Incredible SF action from the Eisner-nominated UK anthology! Prog 2256 is the fourth bumper Regened all-ages takeover issue featuring complete stories. Cadet Dredd and his clone-brother Rico take to the streets of Mega-City One for Lawmaster handling with a difference; Middenface McNulty has some canine help in "Strontium Dug"; young wizards have a schooling in 'Lowborn High'; plus lots more! Meanwhile, in Progs 2257-2259, Judge Dredd's life is turned into a musical, The Diaboliks battle a gang of supernatural villains in "London Calling"; Cyd meets one of the universe's most celebrated pop stars in "The Out''; the war against the Martians intensifies in Scarlet Traces: Storm Front; and it's Dexter vs dinosaurs!

broodblik

What to look out in the meg for November:

More action and adventure in the future-shocked world of Judge Dredd! The lawman is determined to crack down on strange wall-scrawling in 'A Dream of a Thousand Flowers"; Devlin Waugh has one last chance in Hell in "The Reckoning"; The Returners reach the end of the road in "Amazonia"; there's double trouble in Tale From the Black Museum: Double Jeopardy; and Angel enacts his vengeance in the finale to Angelic: "Restitution." Plus there's interviews, features, and in the bagged GN the Alienist returns for "Inhuman Natures" by Gordon Rennie, Emma Beeby and Eoin Coveney!

Colin YNWA

broodblik

sheridan

Richard

Love The Out. Also looking forward to The Alienist.

MumboJimbo

It looks like the December Meg will be a jump-on. Hopefully Lawless or Dreadnaughts will return!