Main Menu

Prog 2208 - The Powers of London!

Started by broodblik, 18 November, 2020, 02:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

I agree in principle with not diverging too much from a strip's original premise for fear of losing its appeal, but when the result is something as wonderful as the current Constanta run... well, sometimes a bit of vicissitude wins the day. (Tiernen Trevallion art moment of the week: Varujan's boggle-eyed expression in the first frame of the final page) 

Maybe we could have a one-off special prog where all five stories (including Dredd!) are chapters from Constanta's history.

Simply Normal continues to be great even though this episode kind of treads water with the song sequence and some large panels. That final frame is just beautiful, though. Is it a throwaway thing, do we think, or anything to do with the story?

Elsewhere...

• That centre spread obviously, thought it's actually a shame it has two extra panels and an 'AAAAH!' otherwise I'd buy an extra prog and frame it.
  • I wonder how the Acoustic Resonance Chamber thing will play out in Skip Tracer? Will Van Hess regret his decision to confront his quarry there..? Hmm.
  • Chuckled at the rude runes in Stickleback, the rudest of which doesn't exactly need a translation

Something Fishy

Is anyone else still waiting on theirs?

I've had neither Prog nor Meg this week.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Something Fishy on 20 November, 2020, 02:06:09 PM

Yep. Postal service well buggered at the moment, it seems.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Something Fishy

ah OK cheers.   Must be a wider issue still.

Leigh S

Presumably Nolan will use his variable mind power generator to generate a variable minid power to get them out of the situation. 

While Simply Normal does feel slightly stretched, it is wonderfully realised (burn on Jack Point, there?)  and I wonder if this was a "bog paper" strip, we'd have big doouble page spread intro pages and all this action condensed into 4 pages instead?

Quote from: norton canes on 20 November, 2020, 12:07:23 PM

I wonder how the Acoustic Resonance Chamber thing will play out in Skip Tracer? Will Van Hess regret his decision to confront his quarry there..? Hmm.[/li][/list]

Bolt-01

Strikes me that the acoustic resonance chamber might play into the young lady being a singer...

Barrington Boots

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 November, 2020, 10:49:11 AM
Which I'm quite happy about, because I already have the other story on the shelf. I don't want a retread. (See also: Hookjaw.) Fiends is currently by some margin my favourite thing in the Prog.

Same here. Much love for original fiends but it didn't need a return - bringing it back needed to add something different and IMO Tharg has nailed it with each new series has better than the last in terms of adding brand new elements to keep it really, really interesting and fresh. This series reads like a proper fairytale and it's so different to the last one with Black Max and his mad science craziness and that was so different from the Napoleonic stuff with Baba Yaga and so on. 

I'd be happy for a strip to run in the prog that's got that 80s style constant cliffhanger feel to it but I'd prefer it to be new and I think this is where something like Skip Tracer could shine.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Barrington Boots

No time for a proper review this week but Hookjaw and Fiends are blowing me away. That Hookjaw spread is something else!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

The current Fiends series is my favorite off them all and Ian got it spot-on. I just love the fantasy elements in the story.  In some sense the story does not feel like a Fiends story but let's see how Ian ties up the whole thing.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 20 November, 2020, 02:39:29 PM
Strikes me that the acoustic resonance chamber might play into the young lady being a singer...

It's almost like you read a lot of scripts, Bolt!

Leigh S

To be honest, I think variable mind power generator would be less cheesy.... If it is a combination of both "I use my variable power to channel her singing..." then I'm out.

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 20 November, 2020, 02:39:29 PM

Bolt-01

Leigh - be very careful making threats like that.

However, on the positive side of things - I think this has been the best received strip for Skip that we've had. I know I've enjoyed it and especially the Paul Marshall / Dylan Teague artwork.

Tjm86

Quote from: Something Fishy on 20 November, 2020, 02:06:09 PM

I've had neither Prog nor Meg this week.

saw a postie driving up and down the street earlier looking for an address ... seems like parcel delivery is their focus right now.  Only seen a letter delivery once this week.  Still awaiting the prog and meg.
:(

Leigh S

I'm talking purely out of Skip T - rest of the prog is holding my attention decently

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 20 November, 2020, 03:39:51 PM
Leigh - be very careful making threats like that.

However, on the positive side of things - I think this has been the best received strip for Skip that we've had. I know I've enjoyed it and especially the Paul Marshall / Dylan Teague artwork.

CalHab

Still no prog or Meg. It's been a long time since it was this late.

I realise it's not their fault, but it would be nice if they could provide a digital prog for paper subscribers.