Main Menu

Prog 2219 - Stand and Deliver

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 February, 2021, 08:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Wrap that cover around. Glorious city scape from the magnificent Patrick Goddard and since I'm a sucker for a cityscape I love this. Inside its the same as you were really.

Dredd - Curiously gentle Dredd, where Joe himself serves as an iritant more than anything else. Otherwise its about a mother having to pull out all the stop, and servers and ducks and dives, literally, to support her family, The youngest of whom, as the cover marks clear, she supports in more ways than one! My guess, and hope is Plankhurst, M. is getting getting a try out like Neimand's Chimpsky and while not as immediately compelling as our Simian friend I see plenty of potential for where her tale could go and hope we get her back.

Slaine - Oh stuff happens I guess.

Proteus Vex - as it does here, but boy is there a difference. after last weeks twists and thoughts here we get a daring escape and rescue. Fantastic stuff.

No escape and rescue for Durham Red as the tension builds and we reach a sad end. Fantastic.

Hershey kinda ends but is clearly just reving up, which I'm glad of as this is a great thrill, even if this ending doesn't really close too much off. I mean there is an end, but we don't really get any resolution, that's to come I assume.

AND THEN ALL STOP

We got Regened next week and while I hope its as good as the last one, we don't get any of the much sort after thrills back yet so three new uns - its still puts the breaks on three of our ongoing stories. Which is irritating. Still needs must I guess.

broodblik

Cover by Patrick Goddard and Dylan Teague:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

73north

Yet again - no Prog - if it turns up on Monday - I will be delighted

Post has been a nightmare - sent on Monday a letter 1st Class Recorded down south and by Saturday
it still hasn't arrived !

JimmyNailz

Still enjoying this entire run!

Dredd - beatuiful art from Patrick Goddard, with lovely colours from Dylan Teague to compliment it. The concrete grey of the city really allows the characters to pop.  Enjoyed the story though was caught off guard by[spoiler] its lack of a "classic Dredd" ending where we'd usually expect her to wind up in the cubes[/spoiler].
I'm absolutely up for a "new Chopper".

Slain - Still really enjoying this final ever Slain. More monsters, flames and fighting gorgeously painted.

Proteus Vex - now with even MORE Lil Vex!!! I love that wee fella.

Durham Red - Again, still loving it. Strong line and colours in the artwork (including fantastic use of frosted breath). Can't wait for the (hopefully|) eventual vamp-out for DR.

Hershey - So, last week I said I was hoping for (1) Frank to fight back (2) Hershey to learn something or other about the nature of revenge (3) Joe remains unharmed. So this week felt like [spoiler]a giant fuck you haha[/spoiler]

See y'all next week for the quarterly Regened debate ;-)

Barrington Boots

Prog arrived this morning, my quick thoughts after a lunchtime read.

Dredd - Another lovely one off. Colin is right to call this gentle -it's a nice little story with Dredd being a dick, a good protagonist with just enough backstory, continuity callback and a bit of satire too in a dig at the current zero hour hell that couriers are enduring. Top thrill this week!
Goddard's art is fantastic here. His cityscapes simply rule and the cover is magnificent.

Slaine - All action, but feels like it's sliding back to being nonsense sadly. Still looks terrific although I'm not a fan of Alban's design. He looks derpy - unless that's the point as an ingrown mutant. 

Proteus Vex - All action here too but it's good. Like Slaine there's some great ideas here, but unlike Slaine it's engaging, exciting and interesting. Tiny Vex looks like a Kirby superhero. How big are those Citheronians?

Durham Red The brain is wearing a balaclava! With a pom-pom no less.
I thought this was going to be a straight up siege story so this is an interesing shake up and we still don't know who the villains are, so more to come. 

Hershey After enjoying the last couple of episodes, there's no resolution and this ending is bogus, despite the great art.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Durham Red is really good. I liked a lot about the semi-reboot in the first place, but this latest tale is as strong as — and has the kind of oddball characters you'd expect from — a lot of classic Strontium Dog.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 15 February, 2021, 03:43:56 PM
Durham Red The brain is wearing a balaclava! With a pom-pom no less.
I thought this was going to be a straight up siege story so this is an interesing shake up and we still don't know who the villains are, so more to come.

For my money it's got to be [spoiler]one of the victims of the Allurian Massacre, as mentioned in the first episode - maybe even the blonde lady we 'saw' getting chomped.[/spoiler]

Either way, the balaclava is brilliant!  :lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

Barrington Boots

Tjm86

Well, blow me down with a feather!

I said over on the meg thread that I thought it was stronger at the moment.  Then along comes this week's prog and I'm trying to figure out what sauce to have with my words!

Never been a massive fan of Slaine but this series has me as interested as back with the Spoils of Annwn circe prog 500.  Just goes to show what happens when Mills concentrates on a straight S&S tale with a strong artist.  As great as Langley et al are, it's been a slog at times.

The rest of the prog leaves you standing, not least of all that Dredd.  A raft of stories leaving you yearning for more?  Now that's service.

Regened next week.  Well, let's see what is served up this time. To be fair the balance has been more on the positive side so I'm cautiously optimistic.  Another brand new tale to boot? Well, here's hoping.

broodblik

Quote from: Tjm86 on 15 February, 2021, 07:08:20 PM
Regened next week.  Well, let's see what is served up this time. To be fair the balance has been more on the positive side so I'm cautiously optimistic.  Another brand new tale to boot? Well, here's hoping.

Their is 3 new tales in the regen prog:
Action Pact: The Radyar Recovery by Mike Carroll (w) Luke Horsman (a) Matt Soffe (c) Simon Bowland (l)
Viva Forever by David Ballie (w) Anna Morozova (a) Pippa Bowland (c) Jim Campbell (l)
Mayflies: Precious Cargo by Mike Carroll (w) Simon Coleby (a) Dylan Teague (c) Simon Bowland (l)

Wilko10

Judge Dredd -- Niemand is proving to be a tour de force as a Dredd writer with another simple but effective tale that humanizes mailmen working tirelessly to please customers. The cityscape detail is phenomenal and has a strong "concrete jungle" aesthetic. Partially over-reliant on exposition in parts, but that's a small nitpick.

Slaine -- It's all proficiently crafted - stellar art, great lettering and deliberate paneling - but the story continues to do nothing for me. It's hollow, boring and, honestly, as an introduction to this character, I find Slaine to be a perfect character - dare I say Gary Stu? - who isn't challenged enough. Spacewarp is latter day Mills at his most scathing and entertaining. 

Proteus Vex -- Nah. Consider me untaught but, as someone who knows nothing about this world, I don't think it succeeds in welcoming new readers. It's entrenched in exposition and I seriously have no idea what is happening. (That small Vex thing looks like something out of Dark Knight Strikes Again).

Durham Red -- This continues to be the Prog Highlight. Deceptively simple, striking colour palette and ripe with twists and turns. Alec Worley is quickly becoming one of my favourite writers.

Hershey -- A great end to a great story. I'm relatively new to the Prog so other fans' issues haven't concerned me. Irrespective of legacy or necessity, I loved it. It uses non-linear storytelling effortlessly and unpretentiously, as well as being constantly bolstered by delightful art. Bravo, Rob Williams!

Prog Rating -- 3/5

Tjm86

Quote from: Wilko10 on 15 February, 2021, 08:59:53 PM

Slaine -- It's all proficiently crafted - stellar art, great lettering and deliberate paneling - but the story continues to do nothing for me. It's hollow, boring and, honestly, as an introduction to this character, I find Slaine to be a perfect character - dare I say Gary Stu? - who isn't challenged enough. Spacewarp is latter day Mills at his most scathing and entertaining. 

... an introduction?  You do realise that this is the final story (allegedly!)???

broodblik

All depends on when you start reading any of these stories especially starting from the middle of a series will make it difficult to catch-up. Something like Vex we had a lot of world-building and background that builds up from previous chapters. Slaine has been ongoing for decades but this story you really do not have to have all the prior acknowledge to follow. The easiest story to pick-up certainly is Durham Red.

Barrington Boots

I think Wilko's post is an important one if he's a reasonably newish reader. I get the impression most of the rest of us have been reading the comic for decades but if he's not read Slaine before and hes finding it not so good that's worth taking note of (even if it is looking like it's wrapping up)
There's a lot of continuity heavy stuff in the prog nowdays and whilst it's a delight for a lot of us I'm interested to how it's perceived by people with less grounding in it.