Main Menu

Surprising 2000ad facts

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 March, 2021, 06:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Okay a trip to The Megaverse* the 2000ad fan site that will twist any narrative to suit its anti-Rebellion** agenda I was reminded that sometimes it does have some fantastic stuff and this weeks best is the fact that

Bill Savage's only 'Invasion' era cover appearance is a small montage image (reprinted I think) of the character leaping from Tharg's brain on Prog 13's front

... this addled my brain... its easy to do... but I couldn't think of any others - so I checked Barney and yep that's right.

So any other 2000ad facts that boggle your brain?

*Hi Wullie if you still stalk here - I don't know you're too ashamed of me to share your missives!

**Some of the lead folks there just come across as jealous of the fact Jason K owns a horse. Damn Jason K for treating himself to a horsey with the money he has earned***. I'd like horsey too - shakes virtual fist.

***Though of course they also say he doesn't earn any money from 2000ad cos that's all but a bust... BUT should defo pay everyone more money from the fortune it loses Jason... how can a man own a horsey when not all the talent that works for him doesn't parade around on their horseys too???

Okay I need to stop this as I promised myself I'd just ignore the nonsene that goes in there and focus on what good there is to be found... I failed today and I beg your forgiveness ... back to * I guess...

Funt Solo

So, Invasion ran for 51 episodes with that poor cover showing, but six of those progs were taken up by Dan Dare story-covers, and 25 were taken up by the Supercover Saga series, so really it was only 20 issues that failed to put Bill on the cover. That's still quite a lot, though.

---

Judge Dredd shows up on the cover of four progs in a row (295-298) - is this the record?

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Corinthian

The 'Judge Dredd Mega History' from 1995 cites Dredd's non-appearance on the cover between Progs 18 and 44 as proof of how comparatively unpopular the character was perceived to be in the early days... without mentioning the whole Supercover thing.

(With hindsight its insistence that 2000AD was going to be dead by the end of the century and Lawman of the Future was the future of Dredd is also amusing in a sad sort of way)

Funt Solo

I'm going to bet that the Summer Offensive (8 progs worth of comic) probably generates the most chatter from the smallest amount of content - it's only 0.35% of the entire output of the comic.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Original content Rogue Trooper is in the comic more than Judge Dredd in a span from prog 303-355 (where we saw Mutie the Pig reprinted).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

The average prog contains up to 75% more Vitamin C than sixteen and a half kestrels, but less than a quarter of the polyester.

Scientifically, this indicates that most progs are capable of independent volitation.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 March, 2021, 08:39:59 PM
The average prog contains up to 75% more Vitamin C than sixteen and a half kestrels, but less than a quarter of the polyester.

Hold on, hold on is that Kestral the small bird of prey or Kestral the cheap lager.

If its the cheap lager that's amazing that has more Vitamin C in it than favour.

maryanddavid

Name the artist who worked for Warrior, the Beano and 2000 AD (kinda). Is this the game we are playing? :D  Ill stick the answer up in an hour or so if no one gets it.

Funt Solo

Who's done the most covers? Is it Cliff Robinson? Barney has him at 120 for the prog, which is 5.39% of the total.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 March, 2021, 01:57:20 AM
Who's done the most covers? Is it Cliff Robinson? Barney has him at 120 for the prog, which is 5.39% of the total.

Here is the top 20 (up until prog 2223):

Cliff Robinson   125
Carlos Ezquerra   98
Simon Davis   93
Clint Langley   83
Greg Staples   63
Ian Gibson   57
Mark Harrison   53
Brain Bolland   46
Henry Flint   46
Ron Smith   44
Jason Brashill   42
Kevin O'Neill   38
Massimo Belardinelli   38
Dave Gibbons   38
Mike McMahon   37
Steve Yeowell   37
Brett Ewins   36
Steve Dillon   34
John Higgins   32
Robin Smith   31
Kevin Walker   31
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

davidbishop

Which person edited the fewest number of progs?

Colin YNWA

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 March, 2021, 08:56:45 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 March, 2021, 08:39:59 PM

Hold on, hold on is that Kestral the small bird of prey or Kestral the cheap lager.

The lesser-spotted Arctic Kestrel, a very confused breed of hamster native to Namibia.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: maryanddavid on 22 March, 2021, 10:38:37 PM
Name the artist who worked for Warrior, the Beano and 2000 AD (kinda). Is this the game we are playing? :D  Ill stick the answer up in an hour or so if no one gets it.

Apparently Jim Baikie's worked for all three

Quote from: davidbishop on 23 March, 2021, 08:49:33 AM
Which person edited the fewest number of progs?

I agree with Colin - must be Pat surely

IndigoPrime

Assuming Wikipedia's information is accurate, longest to shortest tenures would be:

Matt Smith: #1274–[incumbent] — 950 issues (2002–present)
Steve MacManus: #86–519 — 506 issues (1978–87)
Richard Burton: #520–872 — 353 issues (1987–94)
David Bishop: #978–1199 — 222 issues (1996–2000)
Andy Diggle: #1200–1273 — 74 issues (2000–02)
Kelvin Gosnell: #17–85 — 69 issues (1977–78)
John Tomlinson: #915–977 — 63 issues (1994–96)
Alan McKenzie: #873–914 — 41 issues (1994)
Pat Mills: #1–16 — 16 issues (1977)

Smith's editorship has lasted almost 20 years. That's quite something in publishing. If he stays for another year from now, he'll have over 1000 issues under his belt, which is astonishing.