Apocalypse War vs Day of Chaos - Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! Quarter Final 4

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 April, 2021, 06:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

IndigoPrime

Apocalypse War. DoC was a finely crafted tale and filled with tension, but the ending was abrupt and I hated it. I still do. Moreover, as others have noted, while Apocalypse War had lasting effects that cleverly played out over many months, DoC was largely ignored in the wider continuity. Bar the odd trip into a dead zone, you'd never have known that MC1's population was cut back so much; and I still believe that was a mistake. (The population was sparse enough to begin with, given the size of the city. These days, most of it must be empty.)

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

robprosser

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Funt Solo

Day of Chaos is amazing, but also derivative - it's the Jive Bunny of mega-epics as it mashes up everything in the grab bag and hands Dredd (and the city) a major loss. Not only is it a sequel to The Apocalypse War, but it's also entirely reliant on it as a building block.

My vote goes to the epic against which all other epics are measured: The Apocalypse War.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

WhizzBang

Huey2

Sean SD

Link Prime

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 08 April, 2021, 10:13:30 AM
There would have been no DoC without AW, plus I'm docking a point for the appearance of the Dark Judges, a step too far in my view.

I thought it was a great idea, just wasn't keen on the follow-through.

Still, I gotta vote Day of Chaos.

Barrington Boots

Also putting my vote down for Day of Chaos. Genuinely shocking, still a harrowing read.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

TordelBack

Has to be Apocalypse War for me.  Day of Chaos has literally everything, not least the same sense of completely genuine jeopardy that AW achieved, including an extraordinary ending. But AW has a Sentinoids, Souster and a fun adventure plot that DoC just lacks (and rightly so).

Also, pure Carlos on turbo-boost trumps even Flint, MacNeil and Willsher.

Pzooo! Pzooo!