Main Menu

Marvel to stop using Dimond

Started by rogue69, 12 April, 2021, 10:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

It looks like Marvel are going the way of DC and stop using Diamond Comic Distributors and will start using  Penguin Random House Publisher Services to deliver their comics worldwide

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/comic-stores-brace-for-shakeup-after-marvel-move?fbclid=IwAR39N5adKphx5rtfTPyqTggLZ57AznNp-LJg7dhnnOO9hdgQ80JeC_SsTGs

IndigoPrime

Everything is a mess right now. It has been for months. A number of Marvel books barely — if at all — made it to the UK before selling out. By the same token, some recent Image and Dark Horse titles never made it to the direct market but are in bookstores. There are rumours of the reverse with the Usagi Yojimbo Saga volumes, to the point if you've not had the #1 reissue now, you won't get it, and #9 is sold out regardless of pre-orders.

Distribution needs a kick up the behind. (And Dark Horse in particular needs to rethink how it goes about distributing its absurdly limited HC volumes.)

Colin YNWA

Having lost DC in the US - thankfully they will continue in the UK - there's a but coming -  and now Marvel you have to worry about Diamond - that's a massive chunk of their business.

I do worry this could have considerable impact on UK (and other) distribution though. DC have stuck with Diamond in the UK one assumes because its hard for the smaller, new distributor in the US to set up a financially viable operation in Europe? They might just need more time? Marvel you figure will be okay cos ya know Penguin they're going to be able to handle international distribution right?

The problem might come with smaller companies. If Diamond do go under because of this (who knows the impact) how will companies like Dark Horse, Image and even smaller publishers move to get their comics to the UK? Is the market even enough to be worth the effort? I don't know anything about the quantities and finances involved here but it is a concern and one I'm watching.

I've ended up dropping a couple of titles - After Realm and Copra which I was really enjoying cos they have moved to Kickstarter funding from Image and that's made shipping a barrier I'm not able to cross. Can't blame the creators they seem better able to get the funding they need and deserve for their work via Kickstarter. Its does mean however smallre markets like the UK might be stuck with digital as the primary means of distribution?

Diamond has long been vilified for abusing its monoply, but without it (that's assumption) how will distribution for smaller companies and even DC fare. Could a company like Titan or Forbidden Planet step in a do distribution? Would they want to, will they need to even?

IndigoPrime

What irritates me is that a pre-order now means little more than a lottery. Will you get the book you pre-ordered? Who knows? When collecting series, that's a real pisser. (And, yes, digital exists—but I really want specific series in actual paper.)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 April, 2021, 10:16:11 AM
... (And, yes, digital exists—but I really want specific series in actual paper.)

Yeah totally with that. I still love collecting floppies more and more that's of the non DC and Marvel type (oh how I've changed) and this one has me nervous. I remember when I was first reading comics patchy (to say the least) distribution of comics I loved in the late 80s early 90s was what did for me in the end.

Link Prime