Main Menu

Prog 2228 - The Slayer & The Slain

Started by Leigh S, 17 April, 2021, 11:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

broodblik

Quote from: norton canes on 22 April, 2021, 01:53:27 PM
Oh yeah, almost forgot Slaine, LOL! I wonder what revisions were made to this final episode in the end? Just the addition of the final page? It would be nice to find out one day.

In the winter of year 4561 during the reign of His Righteous and Glorious Emperor Lord ID10T the IX the last and precious pages of the lost scriptures of the book of Dragontamer (title unknown) will be discovered in the cookie-jar of Chimpsky the Genius III son's second last best friend.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Maybe the next sketch competition should be 'Finish a current 2000 AD strip in one frame'...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: norton canes on 22 April, 2021, 03:39:29 PM
Maybe the next sketch competition should be 'Finish a current 2000 AD strip in one frame'...

That would certainly be fun - get an entry in and you never know you could decide it!

Barrington Boots

Speaking of one panel endings, is The Mean Team the worst ending we've ever had? It sticks out for being so hilariously sudden, then there's Meltdown Man's "It was all a dream"...  I was personally quite disappointed by Dante having a bit of a non-ending but it's not in the same league as those two.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

norton canes

Yeah, Meltdown Man was 48 instalments of genius bookended by a trite set-up and resolution. The original run of Invasion concluded pretty abruptly too, didn't it? A standard episode that ended with the US forces arriving all of a sudden to oust the Volgans.

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 22 April, 2021, 04:04:45 PM
Speaking of one panel endings, is The Mean Team the worst ending we've ever had? It sticks out for being so hilariously sudden

Yes, totally agree. Especially galling as those seven pages of Mean Team's first episode are a masterclass in storytelling: peerless world building; multiple character sketches; team hierarchy explained; Bad Jack's motivation hinted at; a full semi final that shows us rules of play then a phenomenal ("Now pick up the flag and let's hit the showers") cliff hanger.

Incredible.

Contrast that with the final frame of Return of the Mean Team...I mean it's enough to make you weep.

The Corinthian

So. Farewell then
Slaine.

After thirty-eight years.

You did not
think it too many.

Neither did Pat Mills.

Until just now,
obviously.

norton canes

I suppose he could be persuaded to write some more, but it would be a big axe.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: norton canes on 22 April, 2021, 06:39:54 PM

REPORTED.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Quote from: norton canes on 22 April, 2021, 06:39:54 PM

He might need the money to feather his nest.

---

Blackhawk's also in the running for sudden endings - first he gets teleported off Earth at the end of his Starlord run, then he gets soul-sucked out of the space-arena setting, then he gets entirely forgotten for the Ursa & Zog mushroom forest adventure because they're more interesting and finally chucked into a black hole strapped to some kind of galactic dream catcher. Comic's on drugs, man.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Woolly

Well I thought that last episode of Slaine (especially that final page!) was a good ending. It did feel like a few episodes squeezed into one, but considering how drawn out some recent Slaine has been, I kinda liked that too!
Really hope Tharg can find some more work for the Manco droid (Manc-0?), his work is an absolute delight!

TordelBack

The always magnificent Oglaf spoils future episodes of Thistlebone.

[EDIT: I initially posted the image here, but then it occurred to me that despite the honoured place of genitalia in the art of Simon Davis it might fall under the Godpleton/Frank/Thin Ice Statute, so here's an NSFW link instead ]

Funt Solo

Always best to be careful - I got kicked off the Weekend Gardening forum for posting this absolute smut:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Mikey

Couldn't let the likely end of Sláine go without comment.

The strip was key in my exploring my own identity and provided so many great story moments and arcs. It rightly deserves its place among the greats of the comic. Right up to the end its had some of the best artists doing some of their best work. I can't claim to have always enjoyed Pat's more decompressed style in a weekly format but it generally holds together read in whole form.

I can't think of a satisfying way to finish the story, but Dragonslayer, as TB points out, entirely fits what it's been about. The 'open' ending was a fitting exit, leaving Sláine with a purpose to keep going even against the tide of history and we are spared his final (mortal) demise so he remains a legendary character.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.