Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread  (Read 196882 times)

broodblik

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • watkykjy?
    • View Profile
Re: The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread
« Reply #1155 on: 09 July, 2021, 05:30:38 AM »
The Simon Roy art reminds me of the artwork on the IDW Dredd series Mega-City Zero. I did not enjoy both but then again that is the beauty of the anthology setup where a new artist can be put to the test for one episode.

The rest of the prog was quite interesting as well: I liked the Slaine (the font choices where the fun one in this series), Kek-W was busy with his second stab at Indigo (he for me did a good job on the whole Indigo series not bad at all), the rest where good as well Rennie and Abnett doing their normal thing.

So yes not a bad prog at all.........
Old age is the Lord’s way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death’s in case we didn’t take the hint.

The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.

broodblik

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • watkykjy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: 09 July, 2021, 07:07:47 AM »
That cover personally was one of those covers which just did not work for me. I do no like to use this word "Bad" since Ben Willsher is a great artist but that is how I felt about it.

Old age is the Lord’s way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death’s in case we didn’t take the hint.

The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.

norton canes

• Prog Stacking Droid
  • The leper heart will see you for what you are
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: 09 July, 2021, 10:50:02 AM »
Heh, I haven't visited this thread in ages (sorry, only because I rarely venture into the 'Other Reviews' section) and when I do it's just in time for The Simon Roy Dredd. So I'll just say that as a fan of Prophet I was thrilled to see Simon (or should I call him 'the Roy droid'?) take on a Dredd, and for me the results were fantastic. Did he get the styling of the Judges quite right? Perhaps not, but his realisations of the aliens and their tech more than made up for it. Besides, how many great art droids have turned in slightly 'off' work on their first Dredds, only to go on and nail it after a few progs? The only shame was that Roy couldn't come back and do a few more.

That cover is a bit pants though.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: 09 July, 2021, 11:05:27 AM »
Heh, I haven't visited this thread in ages (sorry, only because I rarely venture into the 'Other Reviews' section) ...

No one should ever, EVER feel the need to apologise for not reading my mindless drivel!

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: 10 July, 2021, 03:31:40 PM »

Its the end of 2017 as we know and the dog surfing is fine.

There is much to talk about in the Progs running to the end of 2017 - but the thing I remember causing most kaffuffle was Dredd surfing a dog down a slue of molten iron(ish) stuff. I mean its silly, hyper-dynamic nonsense but we've seen Dredd do all sorts of silly hyper-dynamic nonsense a million times before, so quite why this one kicked off such a fuss is beyond me.

Now Dredd using meteors as targeted weapons - that is just bonkers... all this takes place in the first story of Mike Carroll's Russia story arc - Black Snow with the magnificent as ever PJ Holden on art duties. As you might be able to tell its all rather high tension, high tempo Dredd as action movie nonsense and frankly it works perfectly well in that context.

Elsewhere Simon Davis' time on Slaine comes to an end with his art being as magnicient and perfect for Slaine as it always was. Alas the story has continued its decline into over long Millsian trope, after over long Millsian trope. Such a shame the art didn't find a better platform.

Grey Area has another magnificent storyline as desert warfare goes wrong in the four part storyline Homeland Security in Progs 2050 - 2053.

Sinister Dexter really builds momentum (which will alas be lost down the line as I recall) as Steve Yeowell doubles down on this fantastic work on the strip with the brilliant fast food war in 'Aztex Comeraderie' (one of Dabnett's more stretched puns) still this series has a big place somewhere in my heart and at this point we were oblivious to the problems the epic Bulletopia would have getting going. The build up will be so good, we'll be in dreamland for a couple more years yet.

There's some really nice, really nice one offs, showcasing Sinister Dexter's great versatilty. As the epic overarching story steadily builds we get the glorious 'The Sights' which reads like one of those Dredd episode's in a launch Prog designed to introduce new readers to the world and character. All elevated by fantastic Steve Yeowell art. In 'Billie No Mates' Paul Marshall drops in on art duty, and drops in reference from the strip's rich history - I particularly like the way he drew Billie's shrink in an Andy Clarke style making it clear its the same shrink Ramone saw back in the day - in a story that sets the scene and builds the underpinning tension for what's to come next. Both superb. This really is a golden time for S&D.

'Absalom - Terminal Diagnosis' is another delight in this run of Progs.What struck me was how focused the the storyline in this series is. Read in this condensed way - the way a re-read will allow you - I've realised while it builds and develops steadily its always got a razorsharp focus on the underpinning aim of building a team to rescue the titular 'hero's' grandchildren from the Satanic Mills. Its superb stuff.

There is also some wishy washy filler towards the end of the year.

All of which is lovely but what I've really come to discuss (though I'm not sure I'll have as much to say as I have about the other stuff!) is Indigo Prime - A Dying Art. As Kek-W takes over writing duties after two episode's from John Smith the series, as far as I'm concerned, remains on high ground, even if you think Tharg has slipped from his by passing it on after John Smith felt he needed to move on. There is no denying Kek-W sometimes leans a little too hard into the interesting technobabble - which can feel even more forced way that John Smith can do. It does give the series an almost poetic edge to it.

The hyper-reality is still - somehow - amazingly realised by Lee Carter. I sometimes wonder what he must go through when he gets a script, reads it and - in my head - he sits back in his chair, a cold sweat breaking out on his forehead... muttering to himself "I gotta try and draw what now... I gotta draw what..." ... slowly shaking his head "...and PJ complains about how he's gotta draw Dredd surfin' on a dog down some lava or whatever... he has no idea..."

Still it looks amazing and he delievers everything asked of him.

My one real beef however is the introduction of Revere. Now Kek-W taking over the strip is one thing, Tharg and he must have reflected that to pull in another John Smith character would be like poking a hornet's nest over in social media land. But you know what if it felt like it was needed I'd have been fine with it. Its just that it doesn't really. It feels all a bit unnecessary. It doesn't really add anything and certainly nothing that means it had to be that character. With such a rich tapestry of characters already to hand, or who could be added reviving Revere just seems a little lazy and sensationist to me. Its a real shame as it leaves a black cloud over an otherwise promising series.

And so 2017 ends, not with a whimper but with the enraged crash of keyboard typing as we social media critics rally and scream about the bits we don't like - and praise and draw fonted swords for the bits we do... and they say 2000ad doesn't have attitude anymore!

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: 11 July, 2021, 07:52:35 AM »

FCBD Specia....

So like I read the FCDB issue, now compressed into a nicely bound US sized bundle... which is a real shame (and forced on Rebellion as I recall) as it means the FCDB doesn't stand out quite as much as it has in previous years. That said its still head and shoulders above the rest (well the one's I've picked up) brimming with fantastic new content the way it does. New Dredd (very good Dredd too from Matt 'Tharg's little helper' Smith and Phil Winslade), decent Anderson and a fantastic Blackblood story by Uncle Pat and Kei Zama. A story reminds us that while Uncle Pat can make a LOT of misteps these days when on form the man's still a wonder. There's nice reprint material too.

Its a fantastic baggage.

And so I was reved up for the Specials.... but there weren't any... what... huh.... well okay I'd read the 40th Special in place but there was nowt else. Weird. I've got used to there being LOTS of specials and thought that kicked off around this time. But no the 40th took this years Special slot and nowt else...

HOWEVER a lovely 1 page story by Henry Flint in the back of that wonderful FCBD issue tells us why. The story marks the purchase of the Treasury of British comics and the wonderful things that will give us. There are more Rebellion specials. there's a Scream and Misty Special this year BUT this is a Prog Re-read and as such these fall outside the remit and will have to wait for another time.

There will be no glut of specials... just as the glut of specials indeed begins.