Main Menu

Simon Coleby or Alan Davis - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 19

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 May, 2021, 06:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Two very contrasting artists here for me Simon Coleby all sharp edges and grim genius giving 2000ad some of its most brutal nights. He had a clash of the Simons in the 2nd Round of his tourney falling to 3rd placed Simon Fraser. Alan Davis got to the quarter finals on the Classic draw and he's all smooth lines and comfortable glory. Which style floats your boat?

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Simon Coleby - more info

OR

Alan Davis - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Sunday 30th May

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Thankfully, the rules explicitly state "work done for Tharg only", so I have to immediately discount all the work Davis did that made him my favourite artist in the world when I was 12.
Are Harry 20 and DR & Quinch visually better than Jaegir and The Vigilant? Not to mention Coleby's astonishing development over the decades since those early Rogue Troopers? Plus, the fairly recent (to me) revelation that Davis nicked the design of the High Rock itself- the strip's most striking image (for me)- from elsewhere.

Coleby 3
Davis 2

SBT

BPP

3-2 Davis due to the sheer unbridled joy of DR & Quinch pages.

Was close tho.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

TordelBack

'90s TordelBack, that curly-locked rake and infamous aesthete-about-town*, would probably have thrown up on you had it been suggested that Coleby was any kind of competition for Davis, but that was then.

While DR & Quinch and contemporary Time Twisty strips are absolute masterpieces, and genuinely my favourite 2000AD humour strips ever,  there's nary a Nazi baby in sight. (Although there are probably a few in Excalibur,  but I'm not allowed take that in the consideration).

Coleby has not only transformed beyond recognition, he's also racked up a massive contribution over the years, and in the midst of his dense, smoky, ugly, moody violence,  he's created or developed reams of memorable, distinctive characters, from 'Malone' to Frank to 'Mortal' Coil to Atalia. His always-strong inks are aided and abetted by a successful partnership with Len O'Grady, and taken together that gives Coleby a surprising (to me)  edge of:

Coleby 3 : 2 Davis.

*Actual contents may differ from description.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Simon's gritty lines have suited much in the worlds of Dredd and Rogue. Tooth would be a poorer place without the vibrancy of Ernest and Waldo.

Simon Coleby 2, Alan Davis 3.

AlexF

Look, I know objectively that Coleby is a better artist now than in his early days, but I have a real soft spot for his early Dredds, and even that one run of Universal Soldier. His Jaegir work is SO gnarly I find it quite hard to read. Davis, of course, is all swoops and polish and is dazzlingly fun to lose myself in.

Davis 4, Coleby 1

Tomwe

Simon Coleby - 3

Alan Davis - 2

Tipping to Coleby due to the breadth of his Tooth work.

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

rogue69

Rogue Judge

Simon Coleby 4, Alan Davis 1

Given this is for 2000AD work only, this is an easy choice for me. Coleby's efforts on Jaegir for the win.

milstar

Ugh. Another tough one.

Coleby 3 - Davis 2

I pray Colin will pick up easier candidates for upcoming elections.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Magnetica

Coleby 2 : 2 Davis

The weather forced an abandonment before they reached the 18th green.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 27 May, 2021, 03:52:40 PM
Coleby 2 : 2 Davis

The weather forced an abandonment before they reached the 18th green.

Why I oughta...

sintec

It maybe that having recently read the Ultimate Collections Jaegir volume is skewing this one for me. Coleby's work on that strip is superb.

Coleby 4 : Davis 1