Main Menu

Simon Davis or Sean Phillips - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 29

Started by Colin YNWA, 10 June, 2021, 06:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Simon Davis is one of those artists that has a definitive strip, one that he will always be remembered for in 2000ad fanlore. In his case its Sinister Dexter... no hang on .... In his case its revitalising Slaine artistically with the Brutan... no, no, hold on that's not right... in his case its introducing folk horror in modern classic Thistlebo... damnit. Simon Davis is one of those artists that has done so much classic work it's impossible to single out one strip over another. No wonder he was a semi-finalist in the Current Tourney.

Sean Phillips has become one of the great artists working in modern American crime comic having hit after hit with Ed Brub... WE DON'T F@~*in' CARE. We're only interested in work for Tharg ... mind when that includes Swimming in Blood the fella ain't got much to worry about!

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Simon Davis - more info

OR

Sean Phillips - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Sunday 13th June

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tomwe

rogue69

Magnetica

AlexF

Phillips didn't have a huge impact on the Prog - the outrageous weirdness of Danzig's Inferno aside - but he was a truly big deal in the early days of the Meg: Armitage, Devlin Waugh, some awesome covers - did he even design the original logo? I mean, Davis is going to win partly on sheer volume of work, and also that he's bloody good at it, but let's not dismiss the one that got away...

Davis: 3, Phillips: 2

sintec

I absolutely love Simon's work it, it's consitently brilliant stuff. Swimming In Blood is an underniable classic but can't stand up against the string of hits Davis has delivered us

Davis 4 : Philips 1

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Sean SD

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Time to admit stuff. I'm not a huge fan of Simon Davis' work. Even his Sinister Dexter. So, I have to give this to Sean Phillips 5-0.

SBT

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

always believed crisis (ezquerra, baikie, mills, smith etc) to be tharg moonlighting as a grown-up ...

so, given this, it's 5-0 to sean.

abelardsnazz

Simon's painted work is nothing short of awesome. But Sean co-created Devlin Waugh.

Simon Davis 3, Sean Phillips 2.

Rogue Judge

Simon Davis 1, Sean Phillips 4

I prefer Phillips, and he's endorsed by Judge Pal!

BPP

4-1 Davis - still the ultimate SinDex artist, indeed the strip has never come close to the heights since he left.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

milstar

Phillips 4
Davis 1

Davis has his style and drew some iconic moments, but Phillips and Brubaker are killing combination.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.