Main Menu

Michael Fleisher or James Peaty - Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 14

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 July, 2021, 06:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Team Classic vs. Team Current
Only work for Tharg to be Considered

Interesting draw this one. Two writers who might not have set Tharg's minions hearts on fire but also represent writers who worked hard to have returning works that defy online and visible opinion.

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Michael Fleisher - more info

OR

James Peaty - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Sunday 11th July

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this voting work? Look here

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Solhiem Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly, have fun!

broodblik

This is going to be interesting basically skippy vs golden fox rebellion

I am one of the few people on the planet that really liked Junker (I am still waiting for a collection of this). Skip Tracer is not the most dynamic of strips but always readable.

So I will go for Fleisher 3: Peaty 2
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

abelardsnazz

I'm going to abstain from this one as I don't think I've read anything by James and I don't think Michael was the best fit for Tooth.

Link Prime

I liked that one panel of Harlem heroes where Slice spits a toothpick into some dude's eyeball.

< Fleisher hooks the leg, and the referee slides in for a fast count, 1-2-3 >

Fleisher 5 / Peaty 0

Tomwe

IndigoPrime

Yikes. Fleisher did very little I cared about and plenty I actively disliked. Junker is dismal. Harlem Heroes has some of the worst dialogue in 2000 AD's history. His Rogue Trooper binned the atmosphere and basically everything else that was interesting about the gritty reboot. That said, some of his Rogue Trooper stories were readable and a few early episodes of Harlem Heroes were OK.

Peaty's work has yet to really click with me—and there's not a whole lot of it compared to some other 2000 AD scribes. Still, Skip Tracer likely warrants a re-read at some point, and Diamond Dogs is better than anything Fleisher wrote.

So: Fleisher 1 / Peaty 4

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: broodblik on 08 July, 2021, 10:23:26 AM
I am still waiting for a collection of this
[...]
Mmmmmm a lot of Junker-deniers :)
I... don't really know what to say to you, sir. I guess... at least you don't want a Wireheads collection?

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Well, I really enjoyed Junker when I reread it in the Quality Comics mini series- yes, it was mad rubbish, but it looked pretty and was never less than amusing. Maybe for the wrong reasons, but hey ho. I know we are not supposed to consider work outside the Command Module, but it's hard for me to think of Fleisher without my brain screaming "Jonah Hex! Savage Sword of Conan!". But, I will be strong.

Skip Tracer has been a dewildering problem in the prog for ages now, and I've been waiting for evidence of exactly *why* Tharg keeps on commissioning it. That evidence may well have presented itself with the current series, which for three weeks now has been, if not my favourite thing in the prog, then close to it. I've even voted it top thrill two weeks running in one of the more civilised Facebook groups.

So... Peaty 4, Fleisher 1.

SBT

Funt Solo

Fleisher 1 : 1 Peaty

Not my favorite writers, but it takes some technical skill to put together a coherent narrative in comic form, so one point each for that.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

1-1

i actually like both writers' non prog work. a great deal. which makes the consistently uninspiring stories under discussion here truly bewildering. they're both particularly good at deft character sketches and kinetic action, both of which skills are conspicuous by their absence in their submissions for the mighty one. weird.

Dog Deever

There's nothing particularly memorable for me in Peaty's work- Skip Tracer just looks dull- I did read it at first but it just didn't resonate. Gradually I just stopped reading and flick through it- nothing really draws me in, I find the art very bland- I'm just not fan of Marshall's. I haven't gone back and looked at it but the overall impression I have is of samey, bland colour throughout. That might not be 100% accurate but it's the impression it has left skimming it week to week. Still, at least it's not infuriating crud and Fleisher has served up enough of that to put him in negative equity.

Junker was utter bilge, HH was incomprehensibly boring- someone else has already highlighted the chronically bad dialogue and I agree, it was pathetically bad; his Rogue Trooper took some vaguely interesting ideas and ground them into utter tedium, despite being serviced by some top quality artists. There is no way in hell Fleisher is getting a win or even a draw from me and 'not particularly memorable' is better than 'memorably awful', so...

Fleisher 0 Peaty 1
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Colin YNWA

Well maybe not entirely surprisingly this one has been quiet, this aren't writers who've set the world alight, yet. But come on folks cast a vote or this will be the lowest scoring tie by SOME margin.

My vote then, well its pretty clear. If we could consider work beyond Tharg Michael Fleisher would take this one for his work on Jonah Hex. But good stories for US mainstream comics do not make for good stories in 2000ad. They are entirely different beast and what works in one doesn't work in another. James Peaty has struggled to really get going in the Prog (and Meg) and even with some lovely art from Paul Marshal and Warren Pleece neither Skip Tracer or Diamond Dogs has yet really gelled with me BUT. Diamond Dogs has potential and some interesting ideas and character and I've activity enjoyed 2 of the Skip Tracer stories, if they've not been the best the second and last complete stories entertained and the latest has recently taken an potentially interesting turn. So on that basis

Michael Fliesher 0 : James Peaty 4

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

BUT I suspect no one was hackering after the chance to vote here given the lack of interest to this point BUT folks should have been looking at the big picture. Sometimes sport is decided in the most dramatic of fashion. Sport, like few other things has the ability to produce drama in ways that are truly unexpected and heightened all the more for it. The most astonishign dramatic things I witnessed have all revolved around sport due to this - the fact it is unscripted and able to shock in way nothing else can.

Sporting events can also be decided in drape, undramatic ways that dull the mind - and so it seems with the Solhiem Cup. James Peaty has become the unwitting star of Team Current - I guess sport also has the ability to make heroes from the most unexpected parts - it what on paper was the most unexciting tie, the one with least drama and razzmataz James Peaty has come from behind to claim claim the point and make it official

TEAM CURRENT ARE THE WINNERS OF THE SOLHIEM CUP
Writing is 2000ad is BETTER than it ever been - its offical...

...well okay that's not what we've worked out here is it... we'll leave the analysis to next week for now let's salute our unexpected hero of the hour JAMES PEATY

TEAM CURRENT 9 : Team Classic 5

Team Current 609 : Team Classic 478