Main Menu

The Wheel of Worlds

Started by Funt Solo, 12 August, 2021, 06:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

I just remembered another link between Stickleback and The Red Seas: both of them use a resurrection tank. The second Orlando Doyle of The Red Seas comes out of one in the future, and of course Stickleback is decanted from one by the Orlando Doyle of his reality.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Oh and when you have fun Funt so do we all!

I wish I wasn't so lazy as if I wasn't I'd run to the nerd room now and explore those panels with Orlando and others exploring rooms and museums galleries full of exhibition cases and stuffed shelves as they must be loads of stuff in there to full this out...

Funt Solo

I expect you're right - I was doing a quick sift for the most obvious - and it was great to get Jimbo's inclusions.

Edginton loves his big flying machines (let's call them uber-zeppelins), which provides a tenuous link between Stickleback, Ampney & Helium.

Detonator X does have beings from another dimension (another Edginton motif), and Interceptor has a sort-of alien invasion. Stretching...

I was considering linking to an outer circle that could contain Sherlock Holmes, the Mythos (he has Lovecraft in a frame in ... maybe Ampney) and (of course) War of the Worlds.

Last thought: if we do convincingly connect up all twelve of these, do you think that will accidentally open the thirteenth door in the Temple of Mithras and end reality?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Just remembered another one...

At the end of the most recent book of Stickleback (New Jerusalem), does that not look an awful lot like a sister ship to Leviathan...?

(I can't lay my hands on a Leviathan collection at this exact moment to see if the White Hart Line also tallies up.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Oh, cool! I'm actually still on my ages-long catch-up read and *just* read that story this morning. Yes - the White Hart-Line is the company run by Sir William Ashbless that launched Leviathan.

The Behemoth seems on a smaller scale*, so is perhaps a precursor.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

That ship design was SOOO cool. Kind of a shame that of all the Edginton stories to spin out into infinite serieses, Leviathan wasn't one of them.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 August, 2021, 08:22:31 PM
Oh, cool! I'm actually still on my ages-long catch-up read and *just* read that story this morning. Yes - the White Hart-Line is the company run by Sir William Ashbless that launched Leviathan.

Thinking about, it there's nothing to exclude Leviathan from taking place directly within the Stickleback timeline, albeit a few years later — Holmes becomes Stickleback post-Reichenbach Falls ('The Final Problem', 1891 in the Holmes canon) and a significant number of years have passed during the series' run (but, again, too lazy to check and/or work out how many). Leviathan launched in (I believe?) 1928, spends twenty(-ish) years in Limbo before returning to the 'real' world in what would, presumably, be about 1948.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 August, 2021, 10:13:07 AM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 August, 2021, 08:22:31 PM

Thinking about, it there's nothing to exclude Leviathan from taking place directly within the Stickleback timeline, albeit a few years later...

...Yes and no. As I said upthread, Sir William Ashbless is actually in the first series of Stickleback, which (along with the Behemoth and White Hart Line) would seem to put the cap on a pretty solid connection; except that Stickleback's world has now become one of an underclass of sentient, talking dinosaur navvies, which seems way off-model for the world of Leviathan.
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 17 August, 2021, 11:50:06 AM
except that Stickleback's world has now become one of an underclass of sentient, talking dinosaur navvies, which seems way off-model for the world of Leviathan.

Remarkably, I forgot about the sentient dinosaurs! I figured much of the supernatural malarkey could be handwaved away but I'll grant you that the dinosaurs are a scaly fly in the ointment of an otherwise damn fine theory. :)

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 August, 2021, 01:24:50 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 17 August, 2021, 11:50:06 AM
except that Stickleback's world has now become one of an underclass of sentient, talking dinosaur navvies, which seems way off-model for the world of Leviathan.

Remarkably, I forgot about the sentient dinosaurs! I figured much of the supernatural malarkey could be handwaved away but I'll grant you that the dinosaurs are a scaly fly in the ointment of an otherwise damn fine theory. :)

For what it's worth, I'm convinced that Edginton intended for them to be the same world when he started out!
@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++