Main Menu

Comic and book storage ideas?

Started by Michael Knight, 18 July, 2021, 07:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sintec on 20 July, 2021, 03:42:03 PM
Going to have a project of my own coming up to shelve one of the downstairs rooms and turn it into a "library". Just need to let my bank balance recover from all the other house move associated costs first. Will post some before/after pics when we get there.

That kinda talk gets my nerd glands all kinda excited. Yeah when you get going post as many pictures as you can. We like it blow by blow here!

Rogue Judge

I'm also lucky enough to have a "Comic Cave", like some of you, a room dedicated to comics and entertainment. I built in shelves and use long boxes to store the comics. I placed the boxes in their lids and can slide them out for easy access. See the following pictures, including the comic wall and bookshelf for trades.

The other wall is a projector screen, for basically watching Dredd on repeat! Next step is to get the original art I have framed and on the walls.

IndigoPrime

That longbox store is really interesting. It certainly beats shoving all your comics under a double bed, when it comes to access!

paddykafka

OMG, Rogue Judge, but that is seriously impressive. Kudos!

Colin YNWA

Well Rogue Judge you win... you win... well whatever there is to win really. That is a wonderful set up. The quiet, simple genius of how you have used the lid of your comic boxes to display issue is such a simple delight. One I will know be stealing I need you to know.

Also you bought Rio. That collection is a delight and I have a strong admiration for your Planet of ther Apes stuff (hope you have the rest of the Boom! issues in those long boxes they hit gold with their Apes comics.

My only, only gripe is that lovely Complete Calvin and Hobbes seems a bit set aside up there.

Gosh fella that is an amazing set up!

AlexF

That's a thing of beauty that room. Jealous!

wedgeski

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 July, 2021, 10:31:16 PM
My only, only gripe is that lovely Complete Calvin and Hobbes seems a bit set aside up there.
That's because the stupid thing is such a weird size, it doesn't fit anywhere! I have that collection and it's kind of just... projecting from the top of one of my book shelves.

GoGilesGo

outstanding, Rogue Judge.

So well put together. Please do post pictures of the original art when you hang it.

Rogue Judge

Thanks for the kind words all, much appreciated. The room is a work in progress, I've been picking at it for the past few years. Where the shelves are there used to be a closet on the left that I tore out and the right was a door, which I covered with plywood and painted. Then I covered the walls with the brick paneling and built the shelves with 2x4s and MDF sheets and stained  the wood. Loaded the comic boxes, organized by publishers and alphabetically (in a way that makes sense to me).

Glad you like the lid setup Colin, its an easy way to access the books while displaying a comic from the box - they slide neatly between the lid and box. Do borrow the concept, and share pics!

I do love westerns and Rio is a favorite! Nice to know someone else who enjoys this collection. And yes I have the full run of the Boom! PoTA comics, they are gold to an Apes fan! A Carlos Magno Apes page from that series is an original that I intend on hanging.

Fair point on Calvin and Hobbes...I'll do something about that by the time I post more pictures. It is a treasure!

Thanks again, progress pics to follow...eventually!

Dash Decent

Fantastic set up, Rogue Judge, and glad to see someone else has some Carl Barks Library in their collection.  The 'flat' colour reproduction on these is superb.

Your 2000AD titles look amazingly flush, not just at the spines but all the way down the top of the pages to the opening end.  Do you interleave them with cardboard?  I find that the spines are always slightly thicker than the rest of the books, and putting them together on the shelf doesn't give such a neat effect.  It's like slowly forming the circumference of what will eventually be an enormous doughnut of books.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

I found the same, to the point my books became horribly warped and needed months of being placed flat to get them back to normal. And then I mostly switched to HC. And of course all the larger books now have page droop instead. Argh.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 22 July, 2021, 02:10:53 AM
A Carlos Magno Apes page from that series is an original that I intend on hanging.

Arh man that's on my list of things to get and I've never seen one - actually I did see one in the wild but it wasn't a page I particularly liked - one day, one day. As you say the whole Boom! line is pretty much golden to a PotA fan.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Dash Decent on 22 July, 2021, 05:29:42 AM
Fantastic set up, Rogue Judge, and glad to see someone else has some Carl Barks Library in their collection.  The 'flat' colour reproduction on these is superb.

Your 2000AD titles look amazingly flush, not just at the spines but all the way down the top of the pages to the opening end.  Do you interleave them with cardboard?  I find that the spines are always slightly thicker than the rest of the books, and putting them together on the shelf doesn't give such a neat effect.  It's like slowly forming the circumference of what will eventually be an enormous doughnut of books.

Yes those Carl Barks Duck books are fantastic, I enjoy reading them to my kids - good for all ages. Clean simple art and colours with entertaining stories.

I just keep all the books lined up spine to spine, regardless of the size (some are slid all the way back, others slid forward), and pack them together tight enough that there is no room to squeeze another in but not so tight I have to force a book in. I've never had issues as long as the books are close together and spines aligned.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 July, 2021, 08:57:33 AM
Quote from: Rogue Judge on 22 July, 2021, 02:10:53 AM
A Carlos Magno Apes page from that series is an original that I intend on hanging.

Arh man that's on my list of things to get and I've never seen one - actually I did see one in the wild but it wasn't a page I particularly liked - one day, one day. As you say the whole Boom! line is pretty much golden to a PotA fan.

Magno actually has the majority of his original pages still. He provides pricing and sells if you contact him directly. One day when you have some extra cash lying about...