Main Menu

Outlaw v Portrait of a Mutant - Bolt-01 Cup - 3rd Place play-off

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 October, 2021, 06:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

We need to warm up for the final and what better way to do it than the misery of a 3rd place play-off. Already crushed by defeat in the semi's we drag out the two teams defeated there and make them go through the rigmarole of another tie to determine something that none of us really care about. Made worse by the fact that the thrill that finishes 4th - a magnificent achievement when you think of some of the (better!) stories that didn't make it - ends the tourney with two straight defeats - what a misery.

BUT I'm doing it anyway as this tie exemplifies the surprises this tourney has had for me, as I expected neither to get this far. I always knew Outlaw was held in much higher regard by must than by me, but by this much?!?! AND lets face it Portrait was always destined for the final, surely???

As ever all you need to worry about is which of the following you prefer:

Outlaw - more info

VS

Portrait of a Mutant - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 21st October and the winner ... well gets 3rd place - which frankly is NOTHING to be sniffed at.

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

I've tried to explain the finals here.

What on Earth is ALL of this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Oh and my 'More info' links... well I don't say how much more and they get pretty wonky at times!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

I mean, it's the original versus its own sequel, which is always fun.
Portrait for me.

Barrington Boots

It's either gas or... Outlaw!

It's not an easy choice. Outlaw is the very first long form SD tale I read and has a special place in my heart. Portrait is great, but it doesn't really embody Stront for me - it's war story and whilst Outlaw isn't a bounty hunt tale it's got all the high octane stuff but it's also a bit lighter, a bit more personal. Plus it's got Wulf in it, not to mention just enough Gronk to not be annoying, Stix, the Torso's last stand, the starport coffins / Barrington Boots / gis thae chips bit, a guy called Vince Scampi... that end where the Stronts blow Kreelman to bits is just amazing. So many cool moments! Love it.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

Tricky decision, others have said pretty much what I'd have said - they're two halves of one story, but the latter has the following going for it:

• Wulf
  • a bit of gronk, but not too much
  • my first long Stront story and my introduction to many of the main characters

Huey2

Rogue Judge

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Leigh S

Difficult - you could argue Outlaw as Empire Strikes Back to Portrait's New Hope....

But Portrait just has that extra emotional heft

Colin YNWA

Last day for this one as we near the end of the tourney. Any last day votes, well get them in for this time tomorrow and I'll count things up then and we'll have our third placed thrill.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well sanity is restored - as much as it could be at this late stage at least and Portrait gets the praise it deserves! Well of course that's not fair, even as it went out there was plenty of praise for the thrill, a true classic in my eyes and  to be fair while I might not be an Outlaw fan the same is true for that incredible popular thrill.

The cliche is bound - there are no real losers here... but since its gone the way I would have vote we'll hail the winner

Portrait of a Mutant

is the 3rd most popular Strontium Dog story - look its official now!