Main Menu

New Doctor Who Picked.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 08 May, 2022, 12:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

The BBC has picked actor Ncuti Gatwa to be the new Doctor Who. We'll have to hope he gets better scripts than Jodie Whittaker received.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-05-08/sex-education-star-ncuti-gatwa-announced-as-new-doctor-who
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Colin YNWA

Interesting this broke on ITV. BBC have the story up now. Have to be honest don't know him so no thoughts either way. Fingers crossed he's served by better material than Hodie was and all the gammon fans burnt themselves out when she was picked.

IndigoPrime

No idea who he is, since I've not seen the shows he's in. Am not remotely surprised they've gone for a black man and someone young. My main hope isn't about him – from a quick read, he clearly has the acting chops and charisma – but that the direction and scripts are better than the current run and, frankly, better edited than the vast majority of Doctor Who to date. When you're competing against shows like The Expanse, you can't be a kitchen sink show that doesn't make sense.

I'm also not at all surprised everyone else is leaving in the cast, and I won't miss them. (Again, these people are solid enough actors, but have been tarnished by dreadful scripts and a huge lack of character building.) But I will miss Segun Akinola doing the music. RTD kept ramping up the bombast until the point Murray Gold's intro sounded like a parody of a movie theme and the in-show scores drowned out everything. Akinola's theme was creepy and brilliant, and his scores have mostly been excellent too.

Tiplodocus

Ncuti is great in Sex Education (which is also pretty good). And apparently he is a big hit with the younger generation do am thinking this is a pretty solid choice.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IndigoPrime

Actually, I think we did watch a few episodes of Sex Education. I vaguely recall a series with Gillian Anderson and a bizarre mash-up of UK and US schooling (which I later read was intentional to draw in a wider audience, even though it ended up mildly confusing everyone and feeling like the scripting equivalent of uncanny valley).  I don't specifically remember Gatwa, but, again, wish him all the best.

Goosegash

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 May, 2022, 05:15:34 PM
No idea who he is, since I've not seen the shows he's in. Am not remotely surprised they've gone for a black man and someone young. My main hope isn't about him – from a quick read, he clearly has the acting chops and charisma – but that the direction and scripts are better than the current run and, frankly, better edited than the vast majority of Doctor Who to date. When you're competing against shows like The Expanse, you can't be a kitchen sink show that doesn't make sense.

I suspect one thing it won't be is kitchen sink. This is a brand new production model for the show with a lot of Sony money being thrown at it, I'm sure they're aware that it's got to look as shiny and expensive as possible in order to compete in the same space (no pun intended) as things like The Expanse.

IndigoPrime

I hope they go beyond visuals. For the post part, I've not had problems with how Doctor Who has looked since the reboot. Bar a few CGI horrors, it's mostly veered between fine and really good. But those other shows hang together because of the writing and the script editing. Doctor Who... doesn't.

judgeurko

Goosegash

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 May, 2022, 11:20:06 AM
I hope they go beyond visuals. For the post part, I've not had problems with how Doctor Who has looked since the reboot. Bar a few CGI horrors, it's mostly veered between fine and really good. But those other shows hang together because of the writing and the script editing. Doctor Who... doesn't.

Absolutely, you can often look past low budget effects if the writing is good enough, which unfortunately in the last five years or so hasn't been the case. I really hope Davies can get some good writers on board and restore the show's reputation again.

IndigoPrime

What it needs:

1. RTD: broad direction (actual showrunner) and some scripts (narrative direction)
2. Other writers: remaining scripts (alternate viewpoints; variety; the unexpected)
3. A fucking amazing script editor, with actual power, to bring some actual consistency to the show

We know we have 1. 2 is at least reasonably likely, assuming RTD doesn't pull a Chibnall. Alas, I suspect 3 isn't going to happen, because RTD will take that role—and he's just not suited to it. (Arguably, it's too much for a showrunner anyway. Script editing is about bigger picture stuff in a very different way from showrunning, but too many British shows don't get that.)

Tiplodocus

Having seen him at the BAFTAs, he might need to work on his self-confidence and flamboyance.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

Yes, its called acting....
DDT did a job on me

Recrewt

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 May, 2022, 11:20:06 AM
I hope they go beyond visuals. For the post part, I've not had problems with how Doctor Who has looked since the reboot.

I was recently watching some classic Who as a man struggled with some green painted bubble wrap on his arm - it was fantastic!  Modern Who has never 'looked' better and is far beyond anything my younger self could have imagined.

We'll have to wait and see with the new guy - I previously thought Matt Smith was too young when he was announced and he turned out to be pretty darned good, so we just can't tell.  His initial statement was spot on though - excited to do it and paying respect to all those before him.

I think the new team will do better in terms of scripts but lets be honest, the bar has been set pretty low recently!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Recrewt on 10 May, 2022, 03:06:16 PM

I was recently watching some classic Who as a man struggled with some green painted bubble wrap on his arm - it was fantastic! 

'The Ark in Space' is my guess for that one - things have rather moved on!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 10 May, 2022, 03:40:26 PM
Quote from: Recrewt on 10 May, 2022, 03:06:16 PM

I was recently watching some classic Who as a man struggled with some green painted bubble wrap on his arm - it was fantastic! 

'The Ark in Space' is my guess for that one - things have rather moved on!

I do wonder if Dan O'Bannon ever saw this story.