Main Menu

New crazy price for 2000AD prog 2

Started by Tarantino, 21 December, 2022, 03:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarantino

Have you guys seen that following Heritage Auctions sale of prog 2 (grade 6.5) in June 2022 for $11,400 they have now sold another copy (graded 9) for $22,800 in September 2022, this is in addition to another 6.5 graded copy which sold for $7,200 in November 2022.

The prices for prog 2 have gone crazy in America.

Tarantino

lincnash

Quote from: Tarantino on 21 December, 2022, 03:47:28 PM
The prices for prog 2 have gone crazy in America.

I would take this from the Megger's with a grain of salt.
Since post-WW2 the comic collectors market in the Big Meg has been afflicted with investors and speculators.
The Megger that paid crazy prizes for Prog 2 (Grade 9 is about mint, is it with free gift?) would be an investor/speculator and not a Squaxx who appreciates Tharg's illustrious organ (ooerr).
Same as the rich investors that pay millions for graded copies of Action Comics #1 (first Superman).

13school

I know very little about the US high-end collectors market, but I've heard rumors that a lot of it - pretty much all the public side of things - is basically dealers and professional investors selling copies amongst themselves at inflated prices trying to lure in a buyer from outside "the circle" willing to bring fresh money to the table. It's seen as part of their business costs to move comics and artwork around like this; the profit comes when they finally offload it onto an outsider.

That's not to say the prices aren't real prices, but if you were to try and sell it back to the dealer it's unlikely they'd give you what you paid for it.

Halo572

As a collector with a full set of Tooth, Meg, specials and annuals - I endorse these prices.

As a collector with a full set of Tooth, Meg, specials and annuals - I can go on ebay and find a 'rare' copy of just about any of them and realistically your average copy of 2000ad is worth less than a £.

I can also go on to ebay and find separates that are for sale for more than you can get the same issue in a bundle for.

British comic dealers - both professional and private ebay - can be laughable at how much they over value them and you really do have to be an uninformed mug who hasn't even bothered to do 10 minutes research on what they want to buy.

Also - why not just buy all these high price copies up for low on ebay, sell them in the US and retire?

Sounds ponzi/bitcoin to me.