Main Menu

Meg 452: Call the Cops!

Started by Leigh S, 14 January, 2023, 03:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 January, 2023, 12:22:26 PM

But then there's City of Courts. I'm trying again. It's full of ideas, but I still find this strip a borderline incoherent mess. I guess we've got three more months of this.

Please Grud NO!! I have no idea why padding like this is in the Megazine (money?) hopefully we won't be getting the Grasscity Dredd, that was truly awful.
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Well, it's not padding so much as the reprint now existing inside the Meg rather than a floppy. I imagine had the floppy continued, it would have had IDW stuff in it instead. And, yes, I really hope Matt Smith stops short of running Mega-City Zero and Blessed Earth. I bought those in a Humble Bundle and they were relentlessly awful – some of the worst Dredd-related stories I've ever read. Mind you, Swierczynski's Dredd was barely any better – and that's 30(!) issues.

If there are no licensing issues (but I imagine there would be), Mars Attacks Judge Dredd would be welcome. That was fun. I'd happily re-read Anderson, Psi-Division. The Cry of the Werewolf one-shot was solid. Under Siege and Toxic were OK. Four issues each, too, so that might be a thing for a third of a year, depending on how much IDW Smith's aiming to shove into the Meg.

broodblik

Year One is really good, when you read it, it reads like Dredd and it feels like Dredd. City of Courts is something you start to read, and you continue to read hoping it gets better but at the end you just read it to get it done.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tomontherun94

Mega City Zero was my favourite of the IDW Dredds tbh. The ongoing and recent minis just felt like regular Dredd but just not as good, Year One could easily have run in the Meg and Blessed Earth felt unneeded. It's been a couple years since I've read MCZ so maybe the McDaid art was doing a lot of the heavy lifting but I appreciated it for not just being Dredd-lite and doing something completely out of left field.

IndigoPrime

I'll give it some points for doing something different, but it didn't feel at all like Dredd, and Dredd didn't feel like Dredd. Swap out the lead and it could easily have been another strip. I don't remember much about Blessed Earth other than Dredd apparently deciding he didn't care about shaving after all, and that I had to force myself to finish it. After that point, my brain apparently purged the entire run.

Proudhuff

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 January, 2023, 04:50:37 PM
, Mars Attacks Judge Dredd would be welcome. That was fun.

And going for big bucks on Amazon!!
DDT did a job on me

BPP

Got to say the square bound format of the Meg is just LOVELY. Chunky big comics format. Love it. Great decision to transition Mr Tharg.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

IndigoPrime

I just hope it sticks. We got those lovely 18 or so issues last time before staples returned.