Main Menu

Queen Bou Vs The Romans

Started by Mudcrab, 12 September, 2003, 03:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcrab

Anyone see this last night (Time Commanders). Bou, you looked magnificent in your chariot!

Rather poor show from the contestants this week, but good to see Bou winning :o)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Queen Firey-Bou

i know not this thing of which you speak, but glad to see the truth out there instead of that grotty roman propoganda spin. Of course i was winning!

i usually wait until the opposition is pished , then strike heh heh heh, even tho it might mean accusations of poofery etc.

Mikey

I had forgot about this series,but seen last nights-those commanders were biffs,Mrs Mikey was lookin at me funny as I was cajoling their use of archers topography!

But Bou's right-bloody Roman propaganda.Heh,Didn't work on the Irish,we let the Norse give us a kickin out of respect,like.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Proudhuff

>>>But Bou's right-bloody Roman propaganda: my oldest got into trouble at school last week when the teacher proclaimed 'the Romans were civilised and the Vikings weren't', He asked if the Vikings had anything like the Colosseum for killing people for entertainment? Datzmaboy!

On the telly prog last night, Good to see the wimmin had the right defensive idea, but I was hoping the battle would be the IX legion's wee trip up to Perthshire ;)

Woadhuff
DDT did a job on me

Mudcrab

"i know not this thing of which you speak"

It's a sort of war strategy game on BBC2, played by contestants who take on the side of whoever. Last week was taking the part of Hannibal and his well cool elephants against the Romans. This week, they tried the Romans against your lot and lost dismally. It's depicted on a big screen with fairly decent graphics and a couple of war experts get far too excited about the whole thing. I've got them on tape if you're interested.

Classic quote was "The Isini (that's not right but it's close) tribe, led by Queen Boudicca, or Boudicea, or Bou to her close friends!" Think my mate thought I was a bit strange when I explained why that was funny :o)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Quirkafleeg

Not watched the second one yet, got it on tape... but I thought the first was let down slightly by use of non historical tactics and having the equivalent of a bloody helicopter and radios to allow them to see the whole battle field at any time and give instant orders to their troops.

there was a similar program on C4 years ago... but the bloke won Waterloo for old Boney by bloody cheating as well, *fume* *fume*

Basically I'm mad... because I want a go! Can't we get a team together for the next series?!

Art

Did they throw any kind of tactics to the wind and win by rushing the enemy with lost of tanks that they'd just built, as is traditional in naff C&C rip-offs?

Mudcrab

"Basically I'm mad... because I want a go!"

I was thinking exactly the same. Reckon I've played enough C&C etc to give it a good go.

Last night's was good though, even with the helicopter/multiscreens etc they were still rubbish!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Mikey

"Can't we get a team together for the next series?!"

I have half a feeling you'd have to hide any gaming credentials,cos them ones last night made some *really* basic errors.Or am I being smartarsed?

But I'd be up for it.So,do you form yer own team or is it random?

Yer"archers ready,sire!"Mikey.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

The Monarch

Hey i rule at online a.o.e so i'ld be a good candidate lol

Quirkafleeg

How to win at Waterloo... work avoidence rant.

Ok what you do is have an idiot playing Wellington who does not know how to organise the shiter parts of his army

As Boney you take your 'supposedly' very elite troops and steam right in against the more rubbish parts of Wellington's army. Gain massive numerical superiority and jobs all over before either night or Blucher

In reality these supposedly elite imperial troopers and what not where the old guard of the army. There Boney's personal guard and had never actually been than much involved in previous battles because it had never got that bad... once they were attacked they broke straight away as then knew that if they were fighting the battle must be lost anyway.

Anyway traditional and all that, plus the fact they were probably not that good anyway (despite their reputation) meant that Boney would never use them in the front ranks and they would not have had the effect that was protrayed..

Ahhh glad I've got that off my chest

judge dreddd

of course, you cant change history so its all just a bit of gaming really..

do you think bou was trying to keep the romans out to protect the domestic pottery industry ?

Trout

I'm just amused to discover "Queen" Bou lived many centuries ago, so either ours is an imposter or she's incredibly ancient.

She didn't look incredibly ancient when I met her - just a bit of a jessie - so that makes her an imposter.

Unless she was frozen in ice, like Captain America.

- Trout

Queen Firey-Bou

now this lot sounds fun, ive never really done RPG or C&C (?) or even paintball etc, in fact ever since my college pals banned me from playing Risk, ( "throw the f**cking dice ! you can't stop just when i'm winning bitch!") i was always worried that playing such games would, er... be dangerous for the over-actively imaginationed of us.
But hey thats a risk i'll take, if anyone wants to play wars i'm very up for it, just wear armour okay?

ps. its Iceni btw.

Mudcrab

"its Iceni btw"

Cool, I was closer than I thought!

C&C btw, is a "looking down on the battlefield", war strategy PC game. Many incarnations over the years and many cheap copies. Difference is, you build up a base and build more tanks etc out of your buildings, collect ore or 'tiberium' for building money, then pile in and destroy or be destroyed. The TV thing is more like Kessen (PS2 game) where you have all your troops laid out on the battlefield, then you just organise them, move them about etc. Just a huge game of chess really I suppose.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!