Main Menu

Prog 2263 - The Galaxy's Gunning for Proteus Vex

Started by broodblik, 05 January, 2022, 03:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 05 January, 2022, 03:38:51 AM
Cover by Cliff Robinson & Dylan Teague:

Phallic symbol xenomorph smokes cigar / Proteus Vex assumes knees-forward position.

Good run of stories to kick off the new year.  :thumbsup:

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Do we know yet what is replacing The Out in a couple of weeks? Because currently I'm skipping The Order and Kingmaker, and if it were to be replaced by something like The Alienist or Counterfeit Girl, it might be time for even this prog oner to wave bye bye.

I was pleased to see the inside back page given over to the kind of feature sorely lacking from the end-of-year prog, and I admit that did leave me with a slightly higher opinion of #2263 than I might have had otherwise.

We will have to see what transpires over the coming weeks, but I do feel like I might be coming to an end. 2000AD just seems so consistently samey these days. Nothing ever changes, it never leaps off the shelves and excites me- with the exception of The Out, which yes, as said above is probably better than Halo Jones and is the standout of the Rebellion years for me. Other than that, everything is always the same- it looks the same, it feels the same, it's the same kind of strips endlessly repeated, the same writers and artists, the same editorial approach, the same (oh grud, the same) design style always. .

I just want the thrills back.

SBT

norton canes

Just out of interest, what's "something like" The Alienist or Counterfeit Girl? They seem pretty radically different kinds of strip to me.

Funt Solo

I assume he just means he didn't like them.

There's the whole anthology aspect to consider - because I would like another series of The Alienist - I was intrigued as to where it was leading. And I love Kingmaker to absolute bits. So, you know, different strokes for different folks, and all that.

As for not reading strips - it's just not something I do. For better or for worse, I've read every single story published in 2000AD and the Megazine at least once. I did take an eight year haitus, so when I was catching up I was reading chunks of progs.

Other people on another thread have advised chunk-reading for Squaxx suffering from prog ennui. My wife has a theory about people who've grown out of love with the prog and keep harking back to a fresher, more exciting time: she thinks maybe they're just getting older and more jaded. You know: been there, seen it, got the t-shirt. So, it may be that the prog's just as exciting and vibrant as it always was - for a new reader, or a younger reader.

Given that I want more of 4 out of the 5 thrills in the current line up, I'd say the prog's in rude health. From that perspective (is it me or you?), it's YOU. But that doesn't help keep a squaxx in the fold. Perhaps some thrill-counseling? I hear that Mek-Quake has recently been trained up as a conflict resolution counselor...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 07 January, 2022, 02:09:53 PM
Do we know yet what is replacing The Out in a couple of weeks?

Saphir will be replacing The Out. The original was a 3riller running in prog 2197-2199. So it will be most likely be another 3riller rather than a full series.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Beaker

No sign of mine yet. Didn't realise until 2264 dropped through the door today....might have to go cap in hand to subs.
"I've got 'em.....I just ain't scratching!'

Southstreeter

Quote from: Beaker on 11 January, 2022, 06:36:04 PM
No sign of mine yet. Didn't realise until 2264 dropped through the door today....might have to go cap in hand to subs.

Likewise

sintec

Quote from: broodblik on 08 January, 2022, 12:09:12 PM
Saphir will be replacing The Out. The original was a 3riller running in prog 2197-2199. So it will be most likely be another 3riller rather than a full series.

Was that the one with Rees Mogg in it?  Seem to remember it was quite good as 3rillers go.

broodblik

Quote from: sintec on 12 January, 2022, 12:21:17 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 08 January, 2022, 12:09:12 PM

Was that the one with Rees Mogg in it?  Seem to remember it was quite good as 3rillers go.

Hopefully this will refresh everyone's memory:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Beaker

Quote from: Southstreeter on 11 January, 2022, 08:54:22 PM
Quote from: Beaker on 11 January, 2022, 06:36:04 PM

Likewise

Mine finally turned up yesterday. The mind boggles as to where it's been.
"I've got 'em.....I just ain't scratching!'