Main Menu

Cinebooks

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 January, 2012, 09:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

I love me some crazy yet some how not un-plausable aline flora and fauna.

Hawkmumbler

So yesterday was a success at the cinebooks table. Nabbed myself the first six volumes in the worlds of Alderberan series, the third and fourth volumes of SPOOKS, and the first two volumes of Lament of the Lost Moore. I'm a very happy comic reader this weekend.

Bolt-01

At TB I picked up the first volume of Wisher. The only time I have 'ever' left the table with a single volume...

Mind, I bet they'll get me next time.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 19 November, 2014, 03:35:06 PM
At TB I picked up the first volume of Wisher. The only time I have 'ever' left the table with a single volume...

Mind, I bet they'll get me next time.

Same here at The Lakes, was hoping for another great discovery like the Long John Silver story, but left (almost) empty handed.
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

'Sobs into key board'

You bastrads told me Aldebaran was good, but not THIS good for fucks sake!

Hawkmumbler

A new volume of Valerian and Laurelia is billed for next month. It's a series i've been pondering getting into for a while, and seeing as I don't won't to get Antares until the 6th volume is released, is it worth me picking a half dozen of these up at thought bubble this year?

Prodigal2

Colin YNWA

Yeah I have and I'm a fan. Only read the first 3 books but have another 4 making their way up my reading list. I made put some thoughts here previously about one issue and rather than bother to try to say anything new I'll just copy and paste those here ... I'm lazy like that!

QuoteSo anyway what struck me most was the nature of the first book. It just didn't feel right and a little investigation explained just why. While its the first book chronologically, in terms of Thorgal's life, it consists of the 7th and 14th books of the original French series. To be honest it really shows. It clearly reads like something filling in mysteries and holes in something that should have gone before. It seems a strange decision to have just cranked it to the top of the pile for the sake of some chronological imperative.

This is made all the more confusing when the next book skips ahead to books 3 and 4 of the series missing out, what I assume (as I've not read them though I can't be sure) is a set of stories set chronologically before them. A set of stories that I guess explain quite a lot, which by the reading in the Cinebooks series leaves a bloody great gap. Still since books 3 and 4 are such a dip in quality (they aren't bad, just not as good) its possible that books 1 and 2 (all this original French numbering) are not very good? So its been decided to jump ahead and get to the good stuff as soon as possible... who knows. Anyway by books 5 and 6 it seems like the creators have done their learning and the quality is up there with book 7 (and 14), or book 1 of Cinebooks... still following all this....

... mind either way its all very good fun and the art is quite exquisite and as I say I'm on board for the rest of the series (11 books now in English I think?). Highly recommended.

CrazyFoxMachine

QuoteSo anyway what struck me most was the nature of the first book. It just didn't feel right and a little investigation explained just why. While its the first book chronologically, in terms of Thorgal's life, it consists of the 7th and 14th books of the original French series. To be honest it really shows. It clearly reads like something filling in mysteries and holes in something that should have gone before. It seems a strange decision to have just cranked it to the top of the pile for the sake of some chronological imperative.

:o Didn't pick up on that at all  :o I just blithely accepted that it made little to no sense like a nutter.

Can't tell if that's reassuring or troubling.

Prodigal2

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 24 February, 2015, 07:13:31 PM

:o Didn't pick up on that at all  :o I just blithely accepted that it made little to no sense like a nutter.

Can't tell if that's reassuring or troubling.

LOL. Me too mate.

Colin YNWA

Just read the first two volumes of Red Baron a historical based on the famed pilot (not the long eared one) from the first World War and what a fantastic read they are. From the very first scene we are introduced to a truly compelling and frightening led and the rest just falls away. It really is one of the best openers I've ever read in a comic. The action and aerial hijinks are handled very well, very well indeed, but its the study of this brutal, elegant warrior that makes the book tick. The first volume does that quite exquistity, with plenty of space. The second tries to cram in a little too much history and back story and that clots thing a little. Its still very good just not quite as exceptional as the first.

The art is lush, at times a little two photoshoped-photo-esque but really very good. Another trimpuh for Cinebooks can't wait to get my grubby mites on the next volume which hopefully won't be long in coming.

If you like your comics dark and chilling I really can't recommend these volumes highly enough.

Hawkmumbler

Sounds great! I'll add it to the list of "Aeronautically based historical dramas" list. Right at the back. Behind Johnny Red. Which is next on said list.

Their just aren't enough comics based on dog fights if you ask me.

Bolt-01

Wisher Vol 1- Nigel

Read this earlier this week and it was a treat, I'm not normally a fan of your fantasy based stories- I like my fiction to have a bit of science in; but this is a cracking little strip. The artwork is astoundingly good and the plot just rattles along.

Colin YNWA

Just finished the first book of Leo's (with Rodolphe) Kenya and well its very very good. Not at all dissimilar in tone to his Aldebaran books, which of course shouldn't be a surprise and is about as big a compliment as I can think of.

Another Cinebook winner!

Ancient Otter

New Fabien Vehlmann series coming in July, Marquis of Anon, I look forward to any books by this author.