Main Menu

2023 Advent Comments

Started by Trooper McFad, 01 December, 2023, 06:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

The Advent calendar's the first thing I look at on my phone in the morning. It hasn't failed to amuse yet.
Slick work from the last few contributors. Maybe too slick?
Thank heavens for the ever-dependable Mr. d'Ashleigh Decent, who understands that the bedrock of this community is rank amateurism and bad jokes.
(Rock on, Dash – We love you!)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Hoagy

Quote from: JohnW on 06 December, 2023, 07:08:52 PMThe Advent calendar's the first thing I look at on my phone in the morning. It hasn't failed to amuse yet.
Slick work from the last few contributors. Maybe too slick?
Thank heavens for the ever-dependable Mr. d'Ashleigh Decent, who understands that the bedrock of this community is rank amateurism and bad jokes.
(Rock on, Dash – We love you!)

I feel attacked by this post. It may affect my Elf esteem! :lol:

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Le Fink

Nice submissions Hoagy. Got to have some Xmas Slaine. Do cadets have eagles though... wasn't there something about cadets earning/qualifying for the full eagle? I may have imagined it and I don't have a regened to hand to check...

They're probably expensive to manufacture and have to be custom made, so you'd want them to reach adult size first. Or am I overthinking it?

Hoagy

Quote from: Le Fink on 06 December, 2023, 08:35:52 PMNice submissions Hoagy. Got to have some Xmas Slaine. Do cadets have eagles though... wasn't there something about cadets earning/qualifying for the full eagle? I may have imagined it and I don't have a regened to hand to check...

They're probably expensive to manufacture and have to be custom made, so you'd want them to reach adult size first. Or am I overthinking it?

Nope not over thinking. I was sure it was double shoulder pad and half badge but I checked a recent regened about Cadet Dredd and they're all sporting eagle pads, and full badges. cept for the tech cadets. They'd have the equivalent pads and badges differed too.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

Hoagy

My ref. One of them anyway. And it is half badge still.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

Andy Lambert

Wonderful stuff again today - cracking artwork from Hoagy - especially love the Pagan-esque headdress on Slaine.
Dash Decent continues to bring the festive cheer with his cartoons.

I seem to be the first one to submit in the morning - I hope that's okay with the designated contributor of the day. Early morning is the only time I have to post, otherwise it'd be in the evening as I'm at work all day.

But on a positive note, this is great fun to be involved in the advent calendar again - even if it is mostly sharing past work. It was always the highlight of the year for me.  :)

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 06 December, 2023, 09:04:23 PMBut on a positive note, this is great fun to be involved in the advent calendar again - even if it is mostly sharing past work. It was always the highlight of the year for me.  :)

I'm just glad I got enough people to fill the day's so the more the merrier.

We are only 6 days in and it's been stupendous already.

When I joined in 2017 it was a highlight and looked forward to it ever since. I was always curious when an old timer would speak of the golden years gone by and wonder what delights filled each day. So seeing some of your past works is cracking the door open to those days.
Looking forward the the rest of the month.

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Le Fink

Quote from: Hoagy on 06 December, 2023, 08:45:53 PMNope not over thinking. I was sure it was double shoulder pad and half badge but I checked a recent regened about Cadet Dredd and they're all sporting eagle pads, and full badges. cept for the tech cadets. They'd have the equivalent pads and badges differed too.
Ah OK! Good to know! They must have a job lot, all shapes 'n sizes. I saw a Cam Kennedy variant the other day that must have extended about a yard from Dredd's shoulder.

staticgirl

I'm really enjoying the silly jokes, it really cheers me up. :D

JohnW

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 06 December, 2023, 09:04:23 PM- even if it is mostly sharing past work
Given that links to images tend to get broken as the years go by, I have no problem at all with submissions from the old days being trotted out again. I wouldn't have had a chance to see them otherwise.
My favourite so far is the sensitive and atmospheric 'Winter Landscape with Sewer Droid and Turd'.
It deserves to hang in the Royal Academy.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Dash Decent

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 06 December, 2023, 09:13:02 PMI was always curious when an old timer would speak of the golden years gone by and wonder what delights filled each day.

Without comparing or downgrading anything in the thread this year, we have had some cracking entries in years gone by.  You can see the kind of talent Andy Lambert brings to the table, for example.

(Andy, was it you that did the magnificent 'Spot the difference' scene at one time?  I can't remember now but the Ro-jaws pic makes me think perhaps it was.)

There were several incredible comic strips, as if a page had been torn from a 1960s Beezer or some such, detailing the adventures of the Angel Gang.  Beautiful artwork, very much "in the style of...", and very detailed as much of that older comic work tended to be.  Pete Wells would usually record a song and make up an animation.  Plus he seemed to have a hot line to the Nerve Centre as the 24th would usually bring contributions from Tooth artists, which was just the icing on the whole month-long(ish) cake.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: JohnW on 06 December, 2023, 07:08:52 PM(Rock on, Dash – We love you!)

That's me, leader of men, follower of women...
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Andy Lambert

What a wonderfully poignant piece from TLS, bringing a tonal balance to the seasonal silliness going on. I really like that.

Always great to see 2000AD's own festive offerings from over the years - some cracking Christmas covers there!

QuoteMy favourite so far is the sensitive and atmospheric 'Winter Landscape with Sewer Droid and Turd'.

Many thanks, John - I like the sound of it hanging in a gallery!

QuoteAndy, was it you that did the magnificent 'Spot the difference' scene at one time?

Yeah, I did make a spot the difference one year, I'm not sure how many people tried it but I do recall someone saying I made it a little too hard. Here it is - see for yourself...

Dash Decent

That's it! That's the one!

Remind us how many differences to find please, Andy. I think there were ten?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Andy Lambert

Yep, there were 10 differences to find.